• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing with a 7.5 vs 8.8

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive had 3500+ lbs behind my 87 and never really had a problem with stopping. Electric brakes are never a bad idea but not usually nessacary as long as you pay attention.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
&.5 and 8.8 shafts are the same--same steel, too. Same parts.

There are two things at work here. The rear axle has two jobs. It's a semi-float, meaning the weight of the truck is carried by ends of the shafts. The second part is that the thrust of starting and stopping the load is also carried, in torsion, by the shafts. The he load in the bed is the same no matter what engine you have. It's not a problem for any Ranger axle shaft.

Now you have to look upstream. What engine are you trying to throw at the load? The Ranger engines run from a 2.3L to a 4.0L. Te Ranger shafts are in no danger of being twisted up by these engines, and the loads are acceptable to the shafts. The bigger motors, Ford thought, need bigger ring and pinion gears to handle the engine torque and the deccel and accel surges. That's all. drive smoothly and a 5.0 with a 7.5 axle will be fine.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe the ranger 7.5 & 8.8 are similar but the explorer 8.8 is stronger.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 7.5 was supposed to have fairly weak spider gears, the 28 spline 8.8 fixed that.

I never had a problem with them, just that vibration that could have been anything from an axle bearing to a messed up shaft.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
So its safe to say that my stock 84 B2 will tow an average of 1800lbs with no problems and not have to worry about breaking anything including land speed records LOL.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So its safe to say that my stock 84 B2 will tow an average of 1800lbs with no problems and not have to worry about breaking anything including land speed records LOL.
I flat towed a Courrier truck, had to weight over 3000 lbs 200 miles with no problem, just kept it out of fifth. That was with my '84 BII, bone stock.
Dave

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think one problem that may come up is braking. Start driving thru the mountains and you don't want to start smelling burning brake pads. I almost caught some on fire once and I wasn't towing anything. On the flats I don't see any problem with any weight.

Richard

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I flat towed a Courrier truck, had to weight over 3000 lbs 200 miles with no problem, just kept it out of fifth. That was with my '84 BII, bone stock.
Dave
I've always stayed out of overdrive when towing regardless of what vehicle I was driving. I don't plan on towing very far maybe at the most up to a couple hundred miles if I goto the farthest camping area that I goto maybe once a year, other than that the farthest I would tow is about 50 miles round trip and that's just up to the hills locally to cut firewood. I know my grand parents used to tow a 16' camp trailer with the 84 ranger they used to have and that I drove around for several years, and it did just fine without changing anything on the truck other than having the auxiliary transmission cooler added and the tow package with trailer brake controller.

I think one problem that may come up is braking. Start driving thru the mountains and you don't want to start smelling burning brake pads. I almost caught some on fire once and I wasn't towing anything. On the flats I don't see any problem with any weight.

Richard
I don't think with the roads I'd be towing on I would have a speed problem the vehicle would rattle and shake to pieces at any speed over about 20-25mph, and I don't like driving fast up in the mountains regardless. The trailer I would be towing isn't even equipped with trailer brakes, and the b2 doesn't have a brake controller. If I start venturing up in the hills more with the B2 and the trailers I would be using I might look into getting a set of electric brakes for them both, along with a brake controller but really the mountain roads to where I camp locally aren't all that bad for controlling speed they're relatively flat and very gradual slopes in a couple of places. Washboard gravel and dirt roads are more of a problem as far as keeping control of a vehicle than speed will be. I can get a trailer brake controller but in these old vehicles I wouldn't have a clue how to go about installing it. In my 08 pickup it was a couple screws to mount it and wire in the plug then plug it into a connector under the dash.

Kingoverace

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
EFI 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not just the axle width, but also remember a Explorer 8.8 has disc brakes. Once I did the swap, I swore I'd never want drums again.

ancient

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Transmission
Automatic
I haul fire wood every year loaded until I'm on the bump stops with my '88 short box. Probably 50 miles each trip. No noises or leaks at 160k.

twescott89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
personal would not recommend towing with a 7.5 over like 4000lbs my 89 ranger with a 7.5 used to tow little things all the time but the minute i hooked up to a 206 dodge Dakota on a car dolly and towed it 50 miles i completely shattered my spider gears and turn my left rear axle shaft blue lol i had inspected and changed diff fluid just before the tow and the rear axle and spider gears looked brand new
take it for what its worth but just my 2 cents have a pic of the tow in my profile on here

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I'm not even going to be close to 4k with the bronco ii, so I should be completely fine then as far as the axle. I'm thinking about having the trailer brake controller installed when I have the wiring done just so I have the extra braking power if needed.

twescott89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea if u wont reach 4k then id tow with a 7.5 all day they are decent rear ends very under rated in my opinion but i would defiantly have that controller made a wold of difference with my truck especially for those asshole flat landers that like to cut you off because they think there gonna move faster then you

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
yea if u wont reach 4k then id tow with a 7.5 all day they are decent rear ends very under rated in my opinion but i would defiantly have that controller made a wold of difference with my truck especially for those asshole flat landers that like to cut you off because they think there gonna move faster then you
My heaviest trailer I'd be towing is 2400lbs fully loaded, so nothing close to the 4K. I'm working on getting trailer brakes put on my little camp trailer as it don't have brakes period. I will definitely be having a brake controller installed though.

As far as people that cut you off, I've had my fair share of those, had an idiot cut over 3 lanes of traffic right in front of me at 65mph and slow down for the exit 100 feet in front of me, this was with my 1988 Ford F-250 4x4 and towing a 21' travel trailer, if it wasn't for trailer brakes that idiot's little Hyundai Accent would have been a speed bump. People are really stupid around trailers for some reason.

twescott89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they act like they dont see the damn thing when half the time its twice the size of them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals