• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tow package?

Milker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
whats in a tow package. ive got a go kart trailer to pull andi used my 3.0 5 spd ranger for it.

it did a good job and i want to use my f-150 but i wantto get a 5spd or auto ranger with a tow package to pull it

but i dont know whats in a tow package

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a class III reciever hitch and flat-4 trailer wiring connector.

truckmanson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l v-6
Transmission
Automatic
my edge has the 4 pin trailer wiring but no hitch, my dads 150 had a 4 pin and I think a 7 pin with the hitch with the trailer towing, his also had a higher payload package.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
my ranger , fo some unknown reason , has a class 3 hitch , 4 pin connector , auxiliary trans cooler , and a p/s cooler

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Towing packages usually include a hitch (but I'm not sure that they always do), transmission cooler (if it's an auto trans), power steering cooler (sometimes), and sometimes it bumps you up to a heavier brake and spring package. The 4-pin flat wiring connector is always on Rangers whether they have the towing package or not. On a bigger truck you may get an electric brake controller as well.

My Ranger did not come with a towing package, but since I got the higher GVWR, I got the bigger brakes, heavier springs, and power steering cooler (although I'm not sure if the ps cooler is standard on the new rack and pinion systems). Since it left the factory I've added a heavier set of leaf springs (custom pack), and a class 3 hitch plus I'm thinking of adding a brake controller soon.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what size trailers are you towing? I have never used a brake controller before. Do you mind explaining how they work?

All the trailers I have towed have surge breaks on them.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
what size trailers are you towing? I have never used a brake controller before. Do you mind explaining how they work?

I hate surge brakes. :icon_twisted:

So far I haven't really needed a brake controller for anything my Ranger has towed. I have run an F-350 dump for work pulling a 2 axle trailer with a skid steer and I gotta say, it is quite nice having electric brakes on the trailer to help slow things down.

I do intend to buy or build a skeletonized trailer for hauling my choptop on (I think I can make it work to where I'll be just under the max towing for my Ranger), but I don't want to run without electric trailer brakes with that sort of a load. I'm also thinking of getting a smaller trailer and have been toying with the idea of outfitting it with electric brakes and a pintle hitch as well.

Electric brake controllers collect input from your brake pedal and convert it to electric signal that they send to the electric brakes on the trailer. The harder you push on the brake pedal in your truck, the more braking force is also applied to the brakes on the trailer which help to reduce your stopping distance and keep the trailer under control during slowing and stopping (it's a real big help when some idiot cuts you off). You're still not gonna stop as fast as empty with no trailer, but a lot faster than a with a trailer with no brakes. Plus such setups require a breakaway switch, which means that if the trailer comes separated from the tow vehicle, it causes a switch to function which activates the trailer brakes, keeping it from running out of control down the road (and killing a few people in the process... that's happened twice now around where I live in the past few years, trailer came unhooked and someone else paid the price).

Me, I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's why I use tie-downs and rope religiously to secure loads. When it looks like it's tied down good enough, if I can find another spot to throw a tie down, I do. Been that way since I lost a 4x8 sheet of 1" blue foam out of the back of my Ranger when I had a cap on. I suspect that whoever was behind me when it came out wasn't too happy.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Towing packages usually include a hitch (but I'm not sure that they always do), transmission cooler (if it's an auto trans), power steering cooler (sometimes), and sometimes it bumps you up to a heavier brake and spring package. The 4-pin flat wiring connector is always on Rangers whether they have the towing package or not. On a bigger truck you may get an electric brake controller as well.
i dont think any TTB trucks came with P/S coolers. i believe they are standard on all R&P trucks (its been a while, so dont quote me).

the rangers only have 2 brake options: 9" and 10" drums. this is usually based on the GVWR, not wether it has a tow package or not (most ext. cabs and 4x4's get 10" drums).

not all rangers have the 4-flat connector (mine didnt, for example), not even the newer trucks.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
All '98 up Rangers came with effectively a Class II tow package. 4 pin connector (never seen one without it) and the bumper ball mount. A Class III factory hitch was optional but an auxilary auto trans cooler came on any truck with an automatic.
Some model years the factory "tow package" got you the Class III hitch and a limited-slip axle.
Trailer brake requirements vary by state, most all require brakes of some type for trailers over #2000, some states for trailers over #1500.

Milker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
im with you with the trailer brakes. ive pulled skid loader with my 150. (not on an actually skid steer trailer just a farmer rigged one) and we got them put on our cattle trailer and it really helps.

my ranger didnt come with any light hook up or hitch, ive used the bumper (i dont like it)

i have a hitch to put on just gotta figure out how it goes on. i have the trailer brakes on my 150 but the light hook up (not the 4 prong the bigger one) wont work and i cant find where it isnt working

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
im with you with the trailer brakes. ive pulled skid loader with my 150. (not on an actually skid steer trailer just a farmer rigged one) and we got them put on our cattle trailer and it really helps.

my ranger didnt come with any light hook up or hitch, ive used the bumper (i dont like it)

i have a hitch to put on just gotta figure out how it goes on. i have the trailer brakes on my 150 but the light hook up (not the 4 prong the bigger one) wont work and i cant find where it isnt working
I've never used the bumper hitch on my Ranger. When I needed a hitch to tow with, I bought a Class III for it. Since the hitch was made for the truck, I had to remove one pair of bolts for the bumper and utilize another set of holes already in the frame to bolt it up. I tossed the standard hardware and used some 1/2" diameter grade 8 bolts, IIRC.

As far as the problem with the stuff for the F-150, check your grounds, both on the trailer an on the truck. We had a problem with one of our F-350's and it turned out to be one of the grounds on the truck for the trailer wiring.

Wicked-- Both of the F-350 trucks we have for work were ordered with the tow package, both are TIB trucks and both have PS coolers, they just tuck 'em up in the grill like an auto trans cooler.:icon_thumby:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Wicked-- Both of the F-350 trucks we have for work were ordered with the tow package, both are TIB trucks and both have PS coolers, they just tuck 'em up in the grill like an auto trans cooler.:icon_thumby:
i should have been more specific...i meant TTB rangers :icon_thumby:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

There're two types. One is called an electronic delay controller and the other is a proportional type. The electronic delay ones are the least expensive and they really suck. You step on the brakes, they begin to apply them at a set rate going from weak to strong. They do not know the difference between a panic stop and a tap to turn off the cruise control.

The proportional type (Tekonsha Prodigy being the best Ive used) has an inertia device in it that senses how hard the vehicle is trying to stop and ramps up the current to the trailer brakes proportionally. It knows when you are trying to stop right now and puts full power to the trailer brakes. I year ago October I had my family in my crewcab with my skidsteer and backhoe on the trailer and was going 80mph when some shit with a 12' long car decided to pop out into a 15' space while I was going by a semi. With a piece of shit electronic delay I would have ran him over flat. What happened was, I stomped the brakes, it sucked me down 20mph in a snap, I let go and stomped the gas and we continued on our way. The panic button on those electronic delay units are way far away from when you need reflexes to save your ass.

I do like surge brakes a lot. They also know when you want to stop right now. There is a direct-acting master cylinder in the trailer tongue. Its perfect.

I have also had hydraulic tap brakes and those are good too. I dont know if you can even get them anymore.

The best part about the Prodigy specifically is it is so easy to set up the unit. Some proportional controllers have pretty strict placement requirements. Electronic delay controllers can be placed anywhere, but the garbage can is the best place.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There're two types. One is called an electronic delay controller and the other is a proportional type. The electronic delay ones are the least expensive and they really suck. You step on the brakes, they begin to apply them at a set rate going from weak to strong. They do not know the difference between a panic stop and a tap to turn off the cruise control.

The proportional type (Tekonsha Prodigy being the best Ive used) has an inertia device in it that senses how hard the vehicle is trying to stop and ramps up the current to the trailer brakes proportionally. It knows when you are trying to stop right now and puts full power to the trailer brakes. I year ago October I had my family in my crewcab with my skidsteer and backhoe on the trailer and was going 80mph when some shit with a 12' long car decided to pop out into a 15' space while I was going by a semi. With a piece of shit electronic delay I would have ran him over flat. What happened was, I stomped the brakes, it sucked me down 20mph in a snap, I let go and stomped the gas and we continued on our way. The panic button on those electronic delay units are way far away from when you need reflexes to save your ass.

I do like surge brakes a lot. They also know when you want to stop right now. There is a direct-acting master cylinder in the trailer tongue. Its perfect.

I have also had hydraulic tap brakes and those are good too. I dont know if you can even get them anymore.

The best part about the Prodigy specifically is it is so easy to set up the unit. Some proportional controllers have pretty strict placement requirements. Electronic delay controllers can be placed anywhere, but the garbage can is the best place.
Well thanks for the info. I never do any heavy towing but I am always curious to learn about different setups.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"

I had a prodigy in my F-250. I sell them where I work, so I got a good discount. I never recommend anything else to anyone... well unless I recommend the newer unit that replaced the prodigy called a P3.

One of the guys who works with me always tries to sell the elcheapo $50 job... I wait until he leaves and then explain to the customer what he gets for his money... They like my explination better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals