• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsion Bars

GB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This has probably been asked/answered but when I went to look at my bolts to tighten my torsion bars, the passenger side stuck out about 3/4" and the driver side was all they way in. Does this mean they are maxed out?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Well, the driver's side sounds like it's maxed out and if the truck sits even, then it is as high as you can make it with just a TT. It is a common observation. Otherwise you can get new torsion bar keys to lift it higher but you don't want to go any more than what it takes to level it.

GB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn, it doesn't really sit that level and their isn't too much clearance w/ the 265/75 tires. Am I to assume the previous owner just cranked the hell out of them?

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if you crank torsion bars you short'n their life span

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Damn, it doesn't really sit that level and their isn't too much clearance w/ the 265/75 tires. Am I to assume the previous owner just cranked the hell out of them?
Maybe not, my t-bars aren't even cranked, as far as I know anyway, and my 265's fit fine.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This has probably been asked/answered but when I went to look at my bolts to tighten my torsion bars, the passenger side stuck out about 3/4" and the driver side was all they way in. Does this mean they are maxed out?
It's maxed out for the bolt and torsion bars that are in there. You can replace your d side bolt with a longer one.

You crank your bars up about 2" from stock and expect no major problems, I've been running 2" cranked bars for over a year now and everything is fine. If you crank them too far you will blow up your cv's.

I can pm you the details for the bolt you need if you can't figure it out....

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Maybe not, my t-bars aren't even cranked, as far as I know anyway, and my 265's fit fine.
There is some variation. My '99 Ranger sat a lot higher stock than my '02 did. On my '02 the stock tires would rub at full lock just turning into a parking space.

GB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a shame b/c I didn't even touch them, haha

Jungleboy4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 265's on my 2000 and no rubbing on it either, and they do vary. My brother in law's 2003 had to crank his almost all the way to fit 265's on it.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is some variation. My '99 Ranger sat a lot higher stock than my '02 did. On my '02 the stock tires would rub at full lock just turning into a parking space.
Sorry it's late, i've noticed that lately. When I had 245's on my truck it sat higher than my buddys 01 4x4. That and it sat about the same height as some guys Tremor 4x4 wit 255's.

Jungleboy4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We cranked his '03 up the full 2" and 265's still rub at full lock. My '00 took 265's without even touching the torsion bars, and my truck still sits about 2" higher than his. The newer Rangers are even lower than his. I saw a '09 4X4 the other day, that sat at same ride height as a 2WD Ranger.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
For a truck that hasn't changed in ages, Ford sure likes to screw with the ride height for each trim level and each year. The newer they get, the lower they sit. It's probably partially to cover their ass by reducing the center of gravity in case of rollovers. But knowing Ford, they probably look at as cheaper to drop it for the sake of MPG, which still sucks anyway, than to invest any money in engine/body upgrades.

JDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How about a measurement?

If you measure from the ground to the front fenderwell what is your measurement with 245's. Mine is cranked a little and measures 34 1/4". This is with an FX4 that has the plastic wheel well moldings so that might matter.

cappin90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 460
Transmission
Automatic
you should have plenty of room for 265's... mine just has a tbar crank too and i have ran 285's 265's and 255's only the 285's rubbed and that was at full lock

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's called the ranger lean. Get used to it.

Cranking bars wears the bars down at an accelerated rate. keep that in mind. Key torison keys...stay the hell away from. how many miles on the truck? Might be time for new bars. My old B grade bars at only 70k are worn out and sagging like a mother. Repalced them with #1 grade bars(highest spring rate) and it's been smooth sailing the past 35k.

When I was stock, i ran 265/75R16 w/o any cranking and resulting in no rub. Then I put 285/75R16's with cranked bars and resulted in minimal rubbing of the valence, which was soon trimmed. Both those were on stock 16x7 wheels. Then I ran 32x11.50 on 15x8 w/ 4" bs...no rub as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals