• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tonto's Build Thread

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's good. I wish I wasn't in a hurry. I'm supposed to be moving (and downsizing) here in a few months so I need to attempt to be as speedy as possible. Will yours be a DR?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Update: I figured out my fuel lines! I did not snap any pics of the process, but it's pretty straight forward.

So, fuel lines. Right. Obviously, going from a fuel injected system to a carburetor is not near as much of a pain as the other way around, but there are some hills to tackle. The factory fuel lines on my 88' are the hard, nylon kind and all the connections throughout the lines are those funky Ford ones. My plan was to delete the High Pressure pump and retain the in tank pump to use as a lifter pump. So, basically I had to figure out how to convert the hard lines to regular fuel line. I did this by taking out the fuel filter (which shares same quick connections as pump) then removed the HP pump from the frame rail which left the line that ran straight to the tank.

I dismantled the little housing for the HP pump and took it completely out. I then took the foam padding originally surrounding the pump and fitted around the much fatter and shorter fuel filter. Plan was to fix the filter into the fuel pump housing, utilize the factory fuel line connection to the filter and side and clamp regular fuel line to the other end of the filter. With some slight bending and only using 2 of the 3 bolts for the pump housing, I achieved brilliance! Zip tied foam pad around filter, squeezed it into the bracket and was able to go from a hard line to a soft one.

I used 5/16 fuel line which was just large enough to get all the way onto the filter "barb" with 2 small hose clamps. As for the return line, I cut the factory line to a desired length, heated it up slightly WITH A HEAT GUN and inserted a 1/4" double barb fitting. Then I took a length of 1/4" fuel line and attached to a second fuel filter with 2 fittings- one being a return line.

Though I haven't tested yet, in theory it should work beautifully!

If any concerns with it, please let me know before I drop my motor in, OK? Lol

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
It was supposed to say DD, as in daily driver.

I will snap pics of fancy fuel lines over the course of the body lift tomorrow.

tsi617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Summit and jegs both sell an to factory snap style fuel connectors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That probably would have been easier....

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got some work done on Saturday! Man, is it a tight fit.... Gonna have to get creative with the heater..... Not even sure a non AC box will fit.... But, did the Body Lift and got motor in! Here's some pics.

Had to take tires off wheels for room. Forgot that I have different axles than most with this swap.... Made for an interesting day...

Made the 1/4" plate mounts to see the motor as low as possible. Had to shim the drivers side up about a half inch so it sat level. I wanted to put the motor as far forward as possible to help with rear driveshaft angle, but the oil pan only let me move it so far.... Needless to say, my driveshaft angle isn't looking so hot...

Transfer case is in as well.... Not as good as a fitment as I was hoping for. It wants to sit just inside the frame rail.... I don't need to notch the frame, just need to move some fuel lines and wires.... Still not what I wanted to do.

Factory transmission mount/crossmember is literally just over an inch off! I still think I'll need to build my own, but pretty cool it almost lined up!

Exhaust- Oddly, I ended up with room for factory manifold on drivers side but passenger side shot straight to the frame rail.... I believe hedman 88400 headers will work perfectly and plan on ordering them today!

More pics to come. Worked on rig for 16 hours and was flat beat on Sunday....

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Got my wires and air cleaner! Put it all on last night. Still need to install fead, mount transmission, finish fuel lines and build exhaust....

I had originally planned to just run some regular 5/16 fuel line from factory lines but ran out of room with the tcase as it sets JUST inside the frame rail. Going to re-route them from the tank to the motor on the top of the inside frame rail. With will give plenty space! Also, the factory gaurd for HP fuel pump is sticking out like a sore thumb and will interfere with front drive shaft.... Man this is a tight squeeze!

My motor seems to be positioned a little different from most I have seen but I think it's because it's just the bigger 351.

On a good note, 88400 headers are on their way and I think they are going to work out beautifully! I also ordered a 2-1 IMCO muffler from Summit. Apparently they give excellent sound at a reasonable cost. I only want to run a single outlet for simplicity reasons but still want everyone to know I've got a V8 under the little guy!

So, anyone know how one wires up the Duraspark Ignition to the RBV's?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn its coming along fast! You'll be done soon.

Your engine looks so clean compared to mine lol. I'm wondering how those headers will work. I hope they work without any serious mods. Looking good though!

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man! I made it my goal to be done ASAP! I want it done right, but JUST right, ya know? Kind of a trial and error thing. But, total time is cresting 30 hours and that includes the day of pulling everything from the donor. Not the cleanest or nicest swap you'll see here, but it will work.

I only decreased the motor, painted the covers and oil pan and threw it in! There's still some sludge and slime on the block and what not ;-) Pics just look better than in person.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK, picked up a rad from an Explorer today. Got my hedman 88400 headers yesterday and blah blah blah. Tight like a tiger! The exhaust is leaving me wishing I'd have done a 3 in body lift, but I think with some redneck engineuity ;-) I can get it done.... No mechanical fan for this guy :-( Got one an electric fan on order though. Pushes 2500 CFM. Sure hope it's enough. Anyway, I'll let these pictures speak for themselves.

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
i did the same swap on my ranger,tuff to fit but it can be done with heat and ac. what transfer case are you gona run?

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna run the 208 for now. I have it, I have a spare and it's already in. Maybe one day I'll go to an Atlas or something.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got the FEAD installed along with some aux switches. I used the red ones for ign and fuel pump so they're easily told apart from the others in case of emergency.

Currently working on the Trans crossmember so I can get that all bolted in to start on drive shafts. It's coming along. Still don't know what to do about a heater....

Had to remove my wonderful center console to make room for the new shifter. The transfer case shifter popped up beautifully and all I had to do was cut some of the length off. Shifter still isn't mounted, just planning some stuff.

Looked all over for a good price on a setup like this for my switches but they were all around the $100 mark... I spent $30 on all the toggles and made this from some sheet metal I had laying around. It's alright.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good but no stereo? That would drive me insane!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals