• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

to much air flow???

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
Last night i put on a air flow system and a high flow filter. Now the problem I am having now is it idles at 2000 rpms. i adjusted it and got it to idle a little lower but after driving it about ten miles it still is idling at 2000. My only thought is that the engine is getting to much air and the computer is giving it more gass to mix with the more air... is that true?? ive never heard of to much air. any thoughts would be great thanks.
PS its on a 94

351rangerxxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
u don't take any parts off the throttle plates or leave a vacuum hose off

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, you removed the OEM air intake that flows way more air than your engine needs and replaced it with one that not only costs money, but sucks in warmer air? Put the original one back on... If you still want the crappy one you have on there check and make sure there isn't an unhooked vacuum hose...

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
I didn't unhook the battery to reset the computer. I pulled the battery and now its running at about 750 rpm it use to run right at 500 but ive read on from searching google that it will take time for the computer to adjust to the new air flow volume.

beanmachine7000
Explain how it sucks hot air verse the old one. ive read alot of post about this and on just about all of them you say not to do it. whats your reasoning if i may ask with all due respect.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The OEM intake sucks air from in front of the grill, that's as cold as air you will get... There is no increase in volume of air... Your engine ALWAYS sucks in the same amount of air... You did nothing to the airflow by replacing it with a high flow filter... If it isn't running right after you did it, you did something wrong or broke something...

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bm 7000

Is as close to the truth as I could get.. Take that damn thing off and go back to stock.. Do you think all them engineers at Ford are asleep? Unless you put headers. exhaust, a head job and different cam you CANNOT use more air than you have from the factory.
All you really get is more intake noise and worse fuel milage from the hotter intake air.
Anyone that contradicts this post is full of hot air..
Big Jim:wub:

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
I am putting on headers and an exhaust.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I am putting on headers and an exhaust.
I have a much more aggressive cam, heads (that have been worked up thoroughly), LT headers, and a complete exhaust system on my Camaro, and I still have the stock airbox assembly... I'd venture to say the stock RBV airbox can support upwards of 275/300hp easily... The stock replacement air filter for an F-150 equipped with a 5.8L is only 7sq. in. larger than an RBV filter...

nooberiffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm, I understand what is being said about not needed any more air than the stock air filter is letting through the stock box and grille intake. But how is replacing the filter with a different kind allowing more hot air in?
I didnt hear him say he removed the stock air box and grille intake, it sounds like he just replaced the OEM square filter in the box, with a high flow one.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If its idling at 2000 rpm, you have a vacuum leak or false air (un metered air) entering the engine. Grab a can of carb cleaner or brake clean and spray around the intake boots/clamps, and upper and lower in take and throttle body.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You must have a vacuum leak somewhere...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals