• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tips for getting the brake drum off?

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I'm trying to get my drums off for the first time (did a free check when I first got the truck but that was a long time ago), and I'm stuck. I've been googling, I have all the instructions for what I'm supposed to do, but I can't get it to work.

It's a 1996 ranger with, iirc, a limited slip 8.8 with 10" drums. The drum is very stuck and I'm trying to turn the screw, but the adjustment tab is holding it in place. I can't figure out how to get the tab pushed down so I can turn the screw and loosen the brakes. The tab doesn't stick out past the screw at all so I can't push down where I have a clear path, and I can't seem to get a screwdriver wedged in on the other side of the screw because of how things are arranged.

So is there some little trick to getting the tab pushed down? Or is this just one of those things you keep at until you figure it out?

Thanks for any help. Feeling like this shouldn't be such an ordeal, but don't know what else to do.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Might be siezed to the flange if it truely does not move back and forth just a little bit with the wheel off. In that case a big 3-jaw puller is your best bet. You'll need a new drum.

Sometimes a extremely hard whack with a BFH between the studs can get things loose.

I always put a very light coating of grease (usually white lithum grease or brake caliper grease) on the axle flange before I put the drum back on. I live in Michigan and my drums have never rusted to the flange since.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I went at it again and I finally figured out where to push to get the tab down so I could turn the screw. I turned it a bunch, enough that it's far enough over that there's just room to get the two screw drivers in, but the drum still isn't budging.

Is there any way to tell if the brakes are still holding it on or if it's just rusted solid? There was no cap in the hole on the backing plate, so rust is a pretty high probability.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hammer, hammer, and hammer it some more...if it breaks, well, you probably needed to replace them anyways...but I've never actually broke one doing it that way.

I would suggest at least a 5 lb sledge...but I've had to use a 10 lb one once and didn't break the drum...

If the brakes are seized you would know just by driving it...so if you've driven it lately that is probably not the case...just takes a bit of time and patience...and wear goggles or safety glasses when you hammer that...rust tends to have a homing device that aims it right at eyes...

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Where am I supposed to be hammering? I've just been using a standard hammer and giving it some good whacks. Ive gone around the studs, in the center of the hub, around the edge from the back.

Edit: Nvm. Got out my favorite hammer (6lb 1h sledge), gave it some good whacks, and it popped right off.

Thanks everyone for the help. :) Now to do the hard part. :|

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I allways replace the drums, shoes and new hardware kits and also replace the wheel cylinders the first time through the brakes. Then I know what I have I trust no one when it comes to brakes. If your replacing the drums just heat them up good and hot focus the heat just outside the studs for the wheel at the same time tap around the outer edge until you see it start to wiggle then it should pop off.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have you sprayed it with liquid wrench or other product? Just spray hit around the hub spray the studs hit around the studs. Repeat a couple of times. Let sit try again.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
There you go hitting them with a bfh always works for me. :thumbup:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To unfreeze the drum from the hub take several good strikes to the areas between the studs with a hammer, minimum 3 lbs.

To release the adjuster pawl and de-adjust the shoes with the drum still on to get past a rust lip go to Sears, get a long pick set. Take the 90* pick, turn it so that it is parallel to the ground, and slide it over the top of the adjusting screw so the tip is just past the screw. Rotate 90* so tip points downward and push in. Spring tension should be felt against the pick when the pawl has been properly caught. Screw should now spin freely.

I'll just leave that here for the next guy who finds this thread in three years, since the OP already has his drum off.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've never had one too terribly seized, but a BFH is usually my go-to tool for most jobs.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
stupid question is the parking brake on?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals