• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tips for changing Alternator and Starter??

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I got a new battery about 6 months ago and now my truck is slowly taking longer and longer to start; tonight it took a good 2/3 seconds and sputtered the whole time but just couldn't get that one good kick to actually start. I did a tune up 6/7 months ago too so I know its not that.

So long story short just gonna change out my alt. and starter tomorrow for the first time in 135xxx miles, so the 2 basic questions I got are...

1.To change the the starter do I really need to lift the truck up on a lift or can I just go at it under my truck in the garage?

2.On the alt. I know I have to remove the serpentine belt on it, I can just use a 3/8 ratchet to loosen it until I put the new alt. on and slip the belt back over and just tighten it as tight as I can get it right?

other then that just any little first timer tips?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
do NOT forget to disconnect the negative battery cable.

you can get to the starter with the truck on the ground.

if your serp. belt is auto-tensioned you'll just need to put the belt back on.

if its not auto-tensioned then you don't want to put the belt on too tight or it will destroy the belt driven components bearings

and remember.. the bolts don't need a death grip on them, about a 1/4 turn from flush is plenty

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I got a new battery about 6 months ago and now my truck is slowly taking longer and longer to start; tonight it took a good 2/3 seconds and sputtered the whole time but just couldn't get that one good kick to actually start. I did a tune up 6/7 months ago too so I know its not that.

So long story short just gonna change out my alt. and starter tomorrow for the first time in 135xxx miles, so the 2 basic questions I got are...

1.To change the the starter do I really need to lift the truck up on a lift or can I just go at it under my truck in the garage?

2.On the alt. I know I have to remove the serpentine belt on it, I can just use a 3/8 ratchet to loosen it until I put the new alt. on and slip the belt back over and just tighten it as tight as I can get it right?

other then that just any little first timer tips?

1. your good.

2. tension pully (sp?) will loosen the serpentine belt and take it off all the way. while your at it check to c if it needs to be replaced to ;)

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alright guys sound good, I was 90% sure I could do both but just wanted to check.

As for the tensioner thats just simply a bolt to change it and since its a automatic tensioner what do I need to look for tomorrow to see if its still is decent shape?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just look for cracks and damage on the belt, the tensioner itself just check the bearing and make sure it isn't too loose or binding. On the serp belt, you should have a sticker under the hood somewhere showing the routing. If not you may want to draw it on paper before you take it off. If the new alternator doesn't charge there is a small fuse that sometimes blows (like 10amp) as well as a bigger fuse. Check it before assuming the alt is bad...

Last edited:

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
alright guys sound good, I was 90% sure I could do both but just wanted to check.

As for the tensioner thats just simply a bolt to change it and since its a automatic tensioner what do I need to look for tomorrow to see if its still is decent shape?
dont be affraid to put some weight on it either bro..... forgot what size socket i used, but set yourself up to where you can push downward clockwise.

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
appreciate the tips guys, I got up super early and got to the parts store and had them check my alt and starter and both were decent but starting to kinda of go so I just went ahead and just replaced them both.

All in all not to bad, especially glad I did it because local shop wanted 210 for alternator and 155 for a starter and another estimated 65 to 95 bucks to install depending on how long it would take....uh **** that for sure thats crazy,

Last edited:

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea got them in pretty easy but took some frustration for doing both my first time

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals