• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing the 2.3

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering about the timing mark on the cs pulley on my 83 2.3. I hooked up the timing light, and found a single mark on the cs pulley, which is on both outer lips of the pulley. Is this supposed to be tdc or the what it should be timed at? I don't have my manual here, I think I must have loaned it out. This mark appears about a quarter inch to the left of the timing ear on the block. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
There should be a mark on the pulley and a guage on the timing cover. The gauge should be at about the 2 O'clock position when viewing from the front of the engine.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
There should be a mark on the pulley and a guage on the timing cover. The gauge should be at about the 2 O'clock position when viewing from the front of the engine.
Well, thank you, I got this, but is the mark supposed to line up with the guage to be in time, or is the mark top dead center?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
When the mark on the pulley lines up with the TDC mark on the gauge, on the cover, then your at TDC.

Or am I not following the question correctly?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
When the mark on the pulley lines up with the TDC mark on the gauge, on the cover, then your at TDC.

Or am I not following the question correctly?
The guage, as you call it is a single pointer. The two setups I'm familiar with are Datsun, which has a single mark on the pulley, and a guage with multiple points which are indexed in degrees protruding from the engine. Then there is the 2.9, which has a multitude of marks on the pulley, and a single point on the pointer (protruding from the engine). Well, this 2.3 has a single mark on the pulley, and a single pointer protruding from the timing cover. So what I'm wondering is whether the single mark on the pulley is TDC, and I would need an adjustable timing light to line up the marks,which seems strange, or whether the mark is "in time" whatever the degrees might be (10 or 12?) and I should just line up the mark with the pointer. My haynes manual is MIA, so I can't look it up.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
BTW, thanks for the help, and sorry for the confusion.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
There shouldn't be single point on the cover. There should be a wide protruding section, with one notch, with the timing degree marks embossed on it, usually filled with white paint. There should be a single notch in the crank pulley.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, interesting, now you have me scratching my head :icon_confused:

What is the pointer attached to? It almost looks like it is metal and that it is spot welded into place. Is there a single notch in the crank pulley?

This is in the '89 in your sig? Could you post a wider angle picture?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, interesting, now you have me scratching my head :icon_confused:

What is the pointer attached to? It almost looks like it is metal and that it is spot welded into place. Is there a single notch in the crank pulley?

This is in the '89 in your sig? Could you post a wider angle picture?
Well, at least I'm not the only one scratching my head on this one.

The pointer is atached to the timing cover, it is metal, the timing cover is metal, and it is indeed attached with two spotwelds. And yes, there is one single notch on the pulley which is on both lips of the pulley, and is the only thing that shows up in the timing light, though it is a 1/4 inch away from the pointer.
This is in the second rig in my sig, the fordzuki (72 Suzuki LJ20), though the motor is from an 83 2wd reg cab longbed Ranger.
Sorry, the pic is the best I could get, it's kindof cramped under the hood with a 2.3 in the place where a 360cc 2 cyl once sat.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Now it makes more sense, some has mixed and matched parts on you. You have a newer crank pulley and an older timing cover.

What ignition/engine management system are you running?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
That's what I was kindof leaning towards. The engine has been rebuilt at one time, so I wouldn't doubt if there were some parts swapped. As for the ignition/engine management, I'm asuming it is stock, it's just a regular napa heavy duty control module.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
No, I meant are you 1. carbed/ points, 2. carbed w/duraspark, 3. EEC-IV w/dist, 4. EEC-IV/DIS, or 5. EEC-V/DIS?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
No, I meant are you 1. carbed/ points, 2. carbed w/duraspark, 3. EEC-IV w/dist, 4. EEC-IV/DIS, or 5. EEC-V/DIS?
weber carb/duraspark

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You have have a cover that was made before 1980. They used a single pointer and a single mark on the pulley. I'd hit the wrecking yards and get a pulley and the plastic cover (both inner and outer pcs) and install them so the timing could be set correctly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals