• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing issue

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to start off by saying Thanks to everyone who has helped me get through this swap. I have successfully swapped a v8 and converted the ranger to a manual with a t5. I have asked many questions and most of them have been answered.

So now I'm down to getting a custom drive shaft made by "Drive Shaft North West". Installing gauges, hooking up the slave cylinder and getting it running right.

So here's my problem. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about this.

I have a C80E engine, its a 68-71 i never deciphered the engine year or what ever but anyway the timing marks are on the harmonic balancer and i used the stock front cover/ water pump and it has a tab on it for the timing mark. Well biggest mistake i made with this swap was i used a serpentine conversion, so when i try to time it everything is in the way and i cant see the timing tab or anything. not sure what to do

I tried timing it by sound, but i just cant get it right. Like it will sound good and rev up nice with no coughing. But next time i start it, it coughs and back fires tons.

THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T WANT TO READ ALL OF IT, HERE IS THE VIDEO OF IT RUNNING ;D http://youtu.be/L3ZalCPk8So

Last edited:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Make a new pointer where you can see it, and mark the balancer accordingly. You can set the original marks to TDC, then make your new one(s).

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make a new pointer where you can see it, and mark the balancer accordingly. You can set the original marks to TDC, then make your new one(s).
No idea why i never thought of that... Thank you! :D

oh and i had a video for you guys too, Had it running for 25 minutes off and on and blew a hole in a rusty freeze plug, so i was up tell 3am replacing them and getting the motor operational again. Heres a start up after i replaced the plugs. http://youtu.be/L3ZalCPk8So

Last edited:

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice job! You'r going to have a nice truck when you'r done.:icon_thumby:

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
I just got my timkng set on my 302 swap
79' t-bird engine. Thing was shooting out flames and missing something horrible. It was a complete 180 degrees out. Just set #1 piston on compression stroke and rotor should point to #5 but have #1 plug in the dizzy at that point. Had to move my dizzy bout an 1/8" inch and it was set perfect. Sounds awesome to have a working truck again.

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What timing cover are you using ? That's more important than the block casting. If you're trying to use the pre 1970 timing pointer, it's going to be about 90* out of phase with the timing marks on a later balancer.

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a late 60's early 70's timing cover. The harmonic balancer and flywheel were off a newer mustang because the old flywheel didnt fit in the bellhousing. its all been rebalanced. this is why i been a little worried about timing.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its a late 60's early 70's timing cover. The harmonic balancer and flywheel were off a newer mustang because the old flywheel didnt fit in the bellhousing. its all been rebalanced. this is why i been a little worried about timing.
That timing cover probably has the pointer on the right hand side. The balancer you used will probably need the timing pointer located on the left side.

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I'm back to this point again, I decided to bump it back up instead of making a new thread.

So since my timing cover is off a 69 mustang i found out and my harmonic balancer is off a 88 rebalanced for the 69 and i have a serpentine conversion off a newer late 80's early 90's mustang. i would add a timing pointer on the left side anywhere? and how would i go about timing it when the timing marks would need to be remarked? little confused and the motors in and all hooked up i dont wanna do any removing parts if i dont have too. Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get tape to put on the balancer that is scaled for the various degrees for wherever you put a pointer.

Put the engine on TDC1 and put the tape so 0 is on the pointer. Don't hold it to being 100% accurate but it should be close.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals