• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for a motor flush?

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I have reason to believe that some of the internal oil passages in my 2.3l are sludged up. Can anyone recommend a good way to clean out the insides of the crankcase? Just fyi, the CHECK OIL lamp came on after I restarted the engine a second time. Had only sat for approximately 2 minutes while I went into the store to get something. Had not previously come on, leading me to believe that the oil was draining from the top of the engine slowly.
Thanks. :icon_confused:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put 1/2 a quart of ATF in the engine about 100 or so miles before you change the oil. Use motorcraft oil filters and after a few times doing that should clean out the sludge just keep an eye on it and the oil pressure. You can do a compression test and check the vacuum pressure to determine if it is rings or valve seals causing the loss of oil if your not dripping somewhere. Does it smoke when you start it or when it is running. You dont want to run it extended periods with additives in the crankcase, ATF is cheap and works just as good as any oil treatment.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have reason to believe that some of the internal oil passages in my 2.3l are sludged up. Can anyone recommend a good way to clean out the insides of the crankcase? Just fyi, the CHECK OIL lamp came on after I restarted the engine a second time. Had only sat for approximately 2 minutes while I went into the store to get something. Had not previously come on, leading me to believe that the oil was draining from the top of the engine slowly.
Thanks. :icon_confused:
did you check the oil? have you changed the oil? are you running the correct oil?.....atf is good but seafoam is good also......and some people like restore....

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
this sounds totally obvious but make sure when you change your oil the engine is warmed up

jhammel85

did you check the oil? have you changed the oil? are you running the correct oil?.....atf is good but seafoam is good also......and some people like restore....
I was wondering the same thing. I would check its level then it's pressure.

But the ATF advice is pretty much what I would do in the situation that you're in if it is really sludged. Best thing for you engine in general though, is good clean fresh oil.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
There's no way i would ever use ATF in an engine, or any other motor flush product. If you really think you need to clean the engine out, add about 1/2 qt Marvel Mystery Oil to it and run it about 3k miles. Repeat if necessary.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ATF swells seals , eats seals, blows gaskets and all sort of shit.
Keep that shit out of your crank case. ;)
Marvel is the way to go.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
ATF swells seals , eats seals, blows gaskets and all sort of shit.
Keep that shit out of your crank case. ;)
Marvel is the way to go.
Hummm the seals and gaskets in a tranny are made out of the same material. For 1/8 the price I will stick to ATF in small amounts for a short period of time. Never run your engine for extended periods with any additive in the oil, viscosity is everything. 10W30 and motorcraft filter is all a engine needs. Pour a little atf on your greasy hands rub it in a little and wipe it off with a rag thats what is does in your engine.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Wow...the responses were more varied than I expected, but thanks. To respond to a couple of questions, here's what I can tell you.
1. The oil was changed within about 300 miles ago. I use the factory weight of 5w30 (conventional oil), though I use a FRAM filter rather than Motocraft. Not really partial to any one brand, just what works.
2. Oil level was just above the safe mark when I checked it after work this morning.
3. Oil pressure varies, but usually starts out on the O or R of NORMAL. By the time it warms up, its usually between the M and A. No evidence of oil contamination and it gets changed about every 3k or so, although I don't drive it that much (could be up to 6 months between changes).
4. It doesn't smoke during operation, but will occasionally puff a little on startup. I have no idea how many actual miles it has since the speedo gear was incorrect when I got the truck. The speedo was about 7-8 miles slow. Its now dead on, but the damage was already done. Not to mention a lack of a 6th odo digit... At any rate, I'm sure it can use new valve guide seals.
5. Haven't checked the compression, although since I fixed the ignition system (coil packs, ign module, wires, plugs, umm...everything) the truck will go from 0 - 60 in about 6 seconds when warmed up.
6. Need to check vacuum since fixing the ignition. Was previously indicating a timing issue, but that has since been fixed.
Not sure about using ATF, but I guess its better than gear oil. Heard some horror stories about that one, no clue why they used it... Anyway, not too worried about internal seals since all but the front main have been changed recently and should be in good shape. Will probably look at seafoam first. Thanks for all the advice. Any other suggestions are appreciated though.
Oh yeah, side note: the oil is still honey-colored after 300 miles.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
The 2.3 in my truck I bought used from a guy near the beach. It was in a shed, but the weather took it's tole. Didn't realize what a pile i'd bought till i got it home and tested compression on the bench. All cylinders were under 100 psi. I needed the truck and figured i might as well give it a shot.

Swapped the motor, ran a quart of ATF in place of 1 qt of oil, ran it about 70 miles changed the oil and it's been running strong for about 60,000 miles now. And the compression came way up. about 130 across the board now. I'm not saying it was all the ATF, but it definitely helped break up the crap in the motor. Figure the rings were probably stuck when i tested the compression on the bench.

Just some food for though. Good luck with your issue.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea you need to at least get it good and warm before doing the compression test but even when cold as long as they are even is a good sign. Not sure on the 4 banger but you can possibly change the valve guide seals without pulling the head jus get the piston your working on at tdc and with a compression tester fitting hook it up to a compressor and add about 50 lbs air to hold the valves up and use a palm spring compressor. It worked great on my 2.8 V-6. Whatever you decide for the engine oil flush will probably work just dont run it for long periods. Motorcraft filters are about the best for the money fram sucks. If your oil light dont come on when you top it off just wait till your next change do the treatment. Add the treatment and run it for 100 or so miles and see if the oil changes in color. GL let us know what you figure out either way.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hummm the seals and gaskets in a tranny are made out of the same material. For 1/8 the price I will stick to ATF in small amounts for a short period of time. Never run your engine for extended periods with any additive in the oil, viscosity is everything. 10W30 and motorcraft filter is all a engine needs. Pour a little atf on your greasy hands rub it in a little and wipe it off with a rag thats what is does in your engine.
Seals in an AT are not made of the same material. Thats the only reason you can get the last bit of life out of a slipping trans with brake fluid. It takes a harsher hydraulic fluid to swell transmission seals. You notice that heat coming from the ATF on your hands right ? Thats a chemical reaction from hydraulic fluid. Brake fluid has a harsher reaction to skin and seals. So the hand comparison is not exactly a reliable example. I mean I could clean my hands with gasoline as well of grease but I wouldn't pour it in my crank case.
Gaskets maybe the same material but seals, nope.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
click chemical and thermal resistance then click table 9. If ATF makes the seal leak it is because the seal was bad anyway it just cleaned it off.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to check that out real good later but at 1st glance thats a VERY broad stroke.
I have to go to the show with the wifey now but I will check it out later tonight.
Thank you for the link, if I am wrong I am wrong, but I want to be sure I am before I say I am LOL!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals