• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tick under acceleration

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
well my truck has the typical ford tick under acceleration, how do i get rid of this, motor has about 140,000 on it.

phybere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Higher octane gas? My truck was doing this, and burning transmission fluid at one point, the cause was the transmission modulator valve, now I can run 87 octane again. Check the hoses to see if any of them are saturated/soggy with fluid.

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
thanks i will try that

89_Black_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
make sure you don't have an exhaust leak...

Royawest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 4.0 was knocking while under load and I traced the problem to the egr system.egr was clean but the sensor was bad.changed it and no more knock.Plus much better gas mileage.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Higher octane gas is just a bandaid. These engines were designed to run on 87 octane. Alot of times the tick can be resolved by cleaning the MAF. You can find CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner at your local advance auto parts or auto zone. Costs roughly $5-6 a can and wont hurt the airflow element like carb cleaner potentially can. Just clean it every oil change to keep your vehicle running top notch.
Secondly, I would run a can of seafoam in the engine to decarbonize the intake runners and combustion chamber. Just run a can through the brake booster vacuum line. You can find directions on here by using the search function.
Third, if your problem still exists, I would look into finding a vacuum leak.

As the other guys have said, it is also possible that it is an exhaust leak. You can usually spot one by the black silt deposits around the problematic area. (collector flange, egr tube, etc..)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals