• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle cable questions

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone share some of their throttel cable mods? Does anyone have a few photos they wouldn't mine sharing? I was working on mine tonight and I think I need to see how a few other people did theirs. If it matters it's an 87 4x4 ranger with a 1991 302 cobra motor out of a thunderbird. I'm using a Holley 600. Thanks.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Two ways I suggest, first and the most advised way to go, use EFI...the second way is to call Locar and use one of their universal throttle cable kits, I've seen a few members use their setup and have been very happy...
SVT

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I got a universal (crazy expensive) throttle cable kit to work. Not real happy with it, but it will work until I can figure something else out at a later date. Thanks for your help.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Glad you got it working:icon_thumby:
SVT

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's been said that you can use an '85 Ranger 2.8L cable, might need a different ball on your carb though. I haven't used it personally, just something to check out if you can locate one. I am using my stock 2.9L with a Holley, I made a bracket for it that bolts on to the lower intake manifold. But am going to go with a Lokar since it's a required piece for my kick down cable kit and will clean things up a bit.

Pete

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought I had something working but now have realized how horrible it really is once I started the truck and used the gas pedal. Need something a lot nicer. Has anyone used a Lokar throttle cable with a Holley and the stock gas pedal in an 87 Ranger?:cool:

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Last time I did a V-8 swap I used the stock 84 2.0 cable. It worked with the 600 Holley, but didn't have enough travel to open the thing up but just over halfway. I have the cable from my donor car this time and hopefully it will be just right. God I need to get this truck going. Getting married and moving has put me way behind on my projects. But, family comes first by a long shot.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your in the same boat Superdave? Trying to find someone who has maybe used a Lokar? I know they are pricy, but they look like they get the job done nicly.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like your in the same boat Superdave? Trying to find someone who has maybe used a Lokar? I know they are pricy, but they look like they get the job done nicly.
I haven't got my new cable yet (I should probably order it :icon_twisted:), but from what I've been reading it looks like the gas pedal will need a little fabrication for the cable (but nothing too crazy).

I know the SRK-4000 bracket will hold the other end - how it works is the back passenger side carburetor nut holds the bracket, and there's a small screw you tweak to adjust the bracket and how it points to the throttle on the carb. Might need a different ball, but I found some for my Holley at Advance Auto.

I am not sure if there's an alternative, I am sure something similar could be fabbed now that I see it installed. Might have time to snap a pic for you of the SRK-4000 bracket tonight.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-SRK-4000/

Pete

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have a photo you could send me that would be awesome. :icon_thumby:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a photo you could send me that would be awesome. :icon_thumby:

Bottom cable is their kick down (won't apply since you're manual :)). The top of that where the bolt resides is a hack job to get around not having their throttle cable, but the cable would run through there. The black crappy looking bracket in the back is the POS I threw together out of 1/8"x1/2" steel to hold the stock cable for now.

Pete

Edit: Sorry about the quality, my camera is probably one of the first digital cameras. I think it's 1.3 MP. LOL

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much for the photo. This helps a lot.:icon_cheers:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I thought I had something working but now have realized how horrible it really is once I started the truck and used the gas pedal. Need something a lot nicer. Has anyone used a Lokar throttle cable with a Holley and the stock gas pedal in an 87 Ranger?:cool:
I use a Lokar universal with my Holley and it works great. I originally used the stock '85 2.0L with some *ahem* "engineering", and it worked. I found that it was not perfect and the cable would stick or bind so I spent the $$ for the Lokar.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I ordered one the other day. Did you use the stock gas peddle?

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. The Lokar cable fit it just perfectly. I also used a Lokar kickdown cable for my C4.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals