• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This ? is for the Ford Techs

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
On a 99 ranger, after reseting the ecm by disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery does the ecm's misfire detection monitor have to relearn cam and crank perameters by doing the 60-40mph decleration procedure in order the be enabled?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thats a good question i want to see the reply, i wouldnt believe so cuz once the ecm is flashed its in there, but if its not id like to know.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
I was getting a single code p1309 (misfire detection monitor not enabled) that would come on after a few miles than stay illuminated until i reset the ecm. I reset the ecm today and performed the 0-65ish acceleration and than coast to below 40 with no braking than to a stop three times consecutively and the light has yet to illuminate. Normaly it would have come on by now so I guess I answered the question myslef. But I would still love input from an experienced Ford Tech. Thanks.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
Well Ru, I have been doing some research and there is very little on the internet about it. Prob to make you go to the dealer. From what I have been reading (actually pdf from Ford) It says that the ecm is set to default paramiters once the ecm is reset and that the misfire monitor needs to relearn to be enabled by doing that test I previously described. I just dont quite understand it, thats why I ask. The other reason Im asking is because thats the only code I get and If I was getting another related system code I would suspect most likely the camshaft sensor possition/syncronization is incorrect. Would this be a correct diagnosis?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
if your cam synchro was bad youd have more symptoms than that, and the only way it could go apy is if the shaft was partially sheared or the sensor pegs its ownself. the engine would then go into a fault safe mode if you will, meaning the engine will run but instead of reading that particular sensor it uses a last known good reading and keeps running. it runs like crap, but it keeps running, prob so you can take it someplace (dealer) to have it diagnosed/eyeballed. thats how the fi system on most bikes work, not sure if thats how a car does. im still learning car fi so i couldnt tell you about misfire detection monitors or any of that. never heard of it in my life to be honest, thats why i wanted to know/learn.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
all 1996 and beyond makes and models of all cars and trucks have it built into the obd-II system. The light came back on this evening. I've Been driving the truck for two years with that code and the truck runs fine. I dont think my camshaft sensor is the problem. The trucks original motor blew because of the synchro gear and ever since swapping out the motor I've had this damn code! I need to fix it because my truck will not pass a motor vehicle inspection back in my home state, which im headed to in a few months.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
never heard of a motor failing inspection due to a check engine light but i guess dif states have dif requirements. when you changed the engine did you use the same synchro or a new one? could it be that the sensor was installed crooked or a bad one out of the box (like ive done w/ some other parts?) i have an obd1 veh so i dont have one, and i realize all 95 up motors are obd2, im more familiar w/ those than obd1, but i like the simplicity of my obd1 at the same time. i prefer obd2 for tuning purposes since i can change spark timing independently making an engine run a lil better rather than fixed all cylinders but ill manage. havent tuned a trk but w/ bikes (im a motorcycle/atv mechanic) i used to do it fairly often and it made a few more ponies by making the cylinder temps even that way.

chiloh30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
Arizona. If that light is on, it will not pass imissions On OBDII

Last edited:

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
I figured this one out months ago. The syncro was off by two teeth causing the 1309 code. More than likely your syncro isn't installed correctly. If it's installed right, your pcm is bad, but this would most likely cause other problems too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals