• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This is bizzare

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
okay here the DL on my situation. everyone i have talked to has a different opinion and i figured this was the place to come. i got a 94 ranger with the mazda 5 speed. i just had to put a new tranny in it about 2 months ago. i also put in a clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced. so its ran pretty good untill now. there is always a little freeplay in the clutch pedal about half an inch, im told this is normal and it stayed that way untill now. if i start the truck and put it in nuetral or any gear and move the pedal back and forth in the freeplay zone per-say the free play gets bigger and bigger untill there is only about an inch of actualy disengagement. if i am driving it does this after i have shifted a few times so i have to put it in nuetral and pump the clutch and then ill get a positive pedal again. but like i said it will do it again after i have to shift some more. anyone else have this issue? my dad thinks its the clutch master cylinder but im not sure if its that or the slave or what? i would really appreciate any advice.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd hope you put a new slave in with the clutch.

You can try a Master, but it sounds like a slave.
Might luck out with a bleeding, but dismount and invert the Master if you try.

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a leaky slave to me, any fluid leaking from the bell housing?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If there isn't a leak (sounds like there isn't otherwise it would've completely stopped working at all by now), it's the master cyl.

Be sure to flush the clutch line and slave cyl out thoroughly, as any failed parts like that can introduce solid contaminants into the system that will cause it to fail again. If the slave was not replaced 2 months ago, then I strongly suggest replacing that as well.

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
i didnt replace the slave cylinder two months ago because the one on the transmission i took out was just replaced. i had heard that if you swap out a tranny in these trucks its kind of hit or miss as to if the slave can be re-used. my dad was a ford tech and said sometimes they just wont bleed out and are you can get a pedal back. he said if you have a pedal then its fine. if i buy a master cyl. and dont get a new slave yet can that be a bad thing or no?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the slave is relatively new and shows no signs of leaking, you should be able to reuse it. Just make sure it's flushed out and clean on the inside so it doesn't cause the new master (or itself) to fail.

Bleeding problems come up because of the inverted design of the master cyl, this has nothing to do with the slave.
There are a few ways to deal with this, although most common is to undo the master from the firewall so you can angle it to get all the air bubbles out of it which tend to get lodged in it. So far I've always been able to expel the bubbles just with vigorous pumping of the pedal however.

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
how would i go about cleaning the inside of the slave? and you say pumping the pedal is that with the master cyl. still on the firewall?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you crack open the slave bleeder, old fluid will come out as new fluid goes in.

If the pedal travel/engagement has been like that since BEFORE the different slave was installed, I would replace that master.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Flushing the system out by running a strong stream of fluid through will likely get the majority of the crap out of there, although if you can take the slave out and point the bleeder fitting down, you should then be able to flush anything that's settled in the bottom out of it as well.

Yes, vigorous pedal pumping with the MC fully installed, bleeder screw just barely cracked open.

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
so get a new master cyl., flush the slave ,then be sure to bleed it really good?

and to earl, the slave is the one off of my old transmission, i bought a junkyard tranny but the slave from the original was replaced and not leaking so i switched it to the new tranny and am using it. but this problem just came up it ran beautifly for about 3200 miles then this started happening.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like fluid is just bypassing the seals in the master cyl. Basically what everyone else said. I actually had the same problem on my brakes. Push the pedal and it slowly fell to the floor. I could pump it up until it got stiff, the slowly fell again. New Master, and havent had a problem since.

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
i bought the new master today.....put it in and bled the sheot out of it new fluid was coming out of the bleeder and i cant get a pedal......i tried to take the master off the firewall and invert it but that didnt help either......if i press the pedal to the floor a good solid stream will come out the bleeder......can i fix this or do i need a new slave? immediate answers are greatly appreciated..... oh btw i can pump the pedal like 300 times and still no resistance what so ever

Last edited:

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Get
A
New
Slave!!!!

Its not the master...never was.....its the slave. Even if you see no fluid leaks. IDK where the fluid goes, but its the slave.

I have seen this problem about 15 times so far, and 13 of those guys were warned before but "by gawd I replaced the clutch in my chevy/ dodge/ toyota/ whatchmacallit and didnt replaced the slave, and its done fine for 20 years!!" Well, its not a Ford Ranger Trans slave now was it?

Of the 15, I was one...learned the hard way, 1 did it and then asked me to help him figure out what was happening, and the other 13 I told before they did it.

I got paid the 2nd as time as well to re-do it for them. And it was the SAME price I charged the 1st time.

Only one girl got both jobs cash free......but I dont work for her form of payment anymore either...it doesnt keep my water hot, stomach full, or lights on.

thewhitepowerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
idk im pretty sure its just air trapped in the bottom of the master and pulling the tranny is not a whole lot of fun....ill wait as long as i can for that

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you try bench-bleeding the master before you put it in?

Maybe you just aren't pumping it hard & fast enough... When it worked for me, I was reaally wailing on it with the bleeder open before I finally got a good enough pedal to work the clutch (probably about 15-20 hard slams in a 5-second timeframe).

Get
A
New
Slave!!!!

Its not the master...never was.....its the slave. Even if you see no fluid leaks. IDK where the fluid goes, but its the slave.

I have seen this problem about 15 times so far, and 13 of those guys were warned before but "by gawd I replaced the clutch in my chevy/ dodge/ toyota/ whatchmacallit and didnt replaced the slave, and its done fine for 20 years!!" Well, its not a Ford Ranger Trans slave now was it?

Of the 15, I was one...learned the hard way, 1 did it and then asked me to help him figure out what was happening, and the other 13 I told before they did it.

I got paid the 2nd as time as well to re-do it for them. And it was the SAME price I charged the 1st time.

Only one girl got both jobs cash free......but I dont work for her form of payment anymore either...it doesnt keep my water hot, stomach full, or lights on.
Ummm... there's no possible way it's the slave if it isn't leaking from underneath (a slave has no "reservoir" for fluid to go into, yet it still has to go SOMEWHERE). It's either a bad master, or air trapped in the master. I believe the latter to be the case at this point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals