• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

thinking about a SHO swap

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
keep in mind that this is a double overhead cam motor we're talking about. its probably at least as wide as a small block...and the width is right were it causes the most clearence problems: the valve covers.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oldish thread, but I'll add my $.02~ A 3.0l SHO motor typically sells for almost $4k new... a used Taurus 3.0 SHO is about $4k... I'm seriously considering just buying a used taurus this year... Then all the electronics, mounts, trans, etc. is right there, and you can still scrap the remaining car. Any thoughts?
They go for that much used by you? Around here a SHO that runs but doesn't drive goes in the $500 range.

hick

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
swapping the engine in my Ranger to one of the 3.2L SHO engines
oops, bad quote

-thought about this my self a few years back with my original GT before it became wrecked. would still like to if i ever find another lwb with a good body and i have enough change....:haha:
good luck with all the fab work......:temper:

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
They go for that much used by you? Around here a SHO that runs but doesn't drive goes in the $500 range.

hick
just found a craigslisting today: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pts/428369241.html

It's for the tampa bay area~ a few Taurus vulcan motors, but toward the bottom, notice there's a listing for a DOHC 3.0 Duratec Taurus. Is that thing based on the Vulcan architecture or no? The thing is only $250..

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the 3.0 duratec is based on the duratec platform....no way related to the vulcan. ive heard claims it shares a common bellhousing bolt pattern, however.

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the 3.0 duratec is based on the duratec platform....no way related to the vulcan. ive heard claims it shares a common bellhousing bolt pattern, however.
well, right there- $250 is all it takes to find out! Somebody PLEASE take this man up and find out for us!:icon_bounceblue:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You know... I keep telling people that they won't like the results of doing an SHO swap.

And that really isn't correct.

You WILL love it, but you will likely also hate it.

you see the issue is keeping the engine "in the happy zone".

Driving it like you stole it (or rented it) would probably put me to sleep
(trust me you don't want to know what a complete nutcase I can be
behind the wheel) I know I'd probably love an SHO engine in a light ranger... from time to time Driving one EVERY DAY? Not even on a bet.

The problem is that I'm a bit older (in my Mid-40's) and I understand that at times having to work that hard mkeeping an engine "happy" is just too much of a chore.
there are times you just want to drive and listen to the stereo.

AD

texasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is a question for you SHO experts...along the same lines. Why not the 3.4 V8. A little more power and great sounds! And definitely different, maybe in a NASCAR Supertruck style. I'm assuming here, but the 3.4 evolved from the 3.0 and the mounting and fabrication issues would be the same? Is this engine known to be junk or what?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
others will disagree, but i think the 3.4 is total crap.

first and foremost it barely makes more power than the v6...at 235HP to the 6's 220. its an interference design (the 3.0 is non-interference) that is known for spinning the sprockets off of the cams, causing major internal damage. i also prefer the 6's iron block to the 8's aluminum one.

the 3.4 is a duratec platform, which means one would have to use a 2.3 tranny behind it rather than a 3.0 one. ive heard the 4 banger trannys may be slightly weaker and have closer gearing than the v-6 units (havnt ever verified these statements).

for the slight power loss, ill take the stouter and more reliable v6.

texasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I guess my idea is just as much of a silly novelty as it was for Ford/Yamaha to make that V8 for the Taurus in the first place. Still....if I had the time and money to waste (I don't and never will)...I'd do it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ahh, there it is. thought we lost those pages with the old forum database.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
others will disagree, but i think the 3.4 is total crap.

first and foremost it barely makes more power than the v6...at 235HP to the 6's 220. its an interference design (the 3.0 is non-interference) that is known for spinning the sprockets off of the cams, causing major internal damage. i also prefer the 6's iron block to the 8's aluminum one.

the 3.4 is a duratec platform, which means one would have to use a 2.3 tranny behind it rather than a 3.0 one. ive heard the 4 banger trannys may be slightly weaker and have closer gearing than the v-6 units (havnt ever verified these statements).

for the slight power loss, ill take the stouter and more reliable v6.
There is no difference inside a Mazda trans for a 2.3 Vs a 3.0.
Only the case is different.

And on the 4.0 there is slightly different gearing, but no strength difference.

Yeah, I guess my idea is just as much of a silly novelty as it was for Ford/Yamaha to make that V8 for the Taurus in the first place. Still....if I had the time and money to waste (I don't and never will)...I'd do it.
Yamaha was responsible for the V6, but had NOTHING to do with the SHO V8.

AD

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Yamaha was responsible for the V6, but had NOTHING to do with the SHO V8.
not true. ford cast the v-8 blocks, then shipped them to yamaha for the engines to be built. the complete motors were then sent back to ford for installation.

haha, heres an interesting quote i found from a ford motorcraft shop tips newsletter while looking for additional info on the v6:

"Because the engine is not boosted, it runs cooler. It supplies a smooth flow of power right up to 7300 rpm. At this point, a rev limiter starts cutting out cylinders to hold the rpms steady at 7300. This technique for preventing over-revving is the result of Ford's Formula 1 racing experience. This rev limiter is not designed to protect the engine, but to protect accessory drive components. The engine itself has been tested at rpm's greater than 8500."

huh....i forsee an underdive pulley and some considerable power gains to be had :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals