• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Tan 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey btw a noisy steering pump and spongy brakes and sloppy steering are the norm on b2s lol

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Haha thanks shoddy. I was wondering if it was cause of these 35s but now I know lol. Yeah 85 I plugged those numbers into Google and they came up as a 1350 and a rbv transmission so I think it might be a 5 speed with a 4 cap on it. So I wonder what I am doing wrong when trying to engage 4wd.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Well if it's s 4x4 transmission, with a cologne bellhousing. . .it'll be zn RBV Trans. Because all 4x4 cologne engined vehicles were RBVs. . . Aside from the aerostar.

I have a 5 speed for sale. . . Cheap, that is if you truly have that awful 5 speed

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright here is the update. Yes I may sound dumb for not noticing this before but i figured out what was going on with 4wd and why the speedo cable is not long enough...IT HAS A DOUBLER!!! So once I figured out how to work the 4wd(i have to move the lever by hand under the truck) I hit the trail to see what she could do. I didn't do a lot but i was blown away by what I was able to do so easily. It was dark so I was not able to get any pics, but I will be going out again soon so I will snap some then.

On another note and this is where i could use some advice. I figured out that it is a 5speed with a 4speed knob on but when I am just cruising lets say down hill or just on a a flat and i am not giving it some sort of gas, my transmission will start to lurch. Someone said that it could be the clutch not aligned but i am not sure. It is definitely not a area that i am familiar with.

Things to fix:
turn signal quit working when i was wheeling
cut some more of the floor board out so i can shift from hi to lo
just a bunch of little things(door locks, lights, relay switch)

Goals:
now that i know what is in this rig all i really want to add are little things like
roof rack
spare tire(not sure where to mount it yet)

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You will have to check it out. Where were you at? It looks like one complete transfercase and half another one put together.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Sweet ! I got you and the other guy in our group text confused. . . I saw him, not you sorry. But a doubler? What a win!

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know you will have to check it out at the next meet up. And check out what that lurching might be.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright here is the update. Yes I may sound dumb for not noticing this before but i figured out what was going on with 4wd and why the speedo cable is not long enough...IT HAS A DOUBLER!!! So once I figured out how to work the 4wd(i have to move the lever by hand under the truck) I hit the trail to see what she could do. I didn't do a lot but i was blown away by what I was able to do so easily. It was dark so I was not able to get any pics, but I will be going out again soon so I will snap some then.

On another note and this is where i could use some advice. I figured out that it is a 5speed with a 4speed knob on but when I am just cruising lets say down hill or just on a a flat and i am not giving it some sort of gas, my transmission will start to lurch. Someone said that it could be the clutch not aligned but i am not sure. It is definitely not a area that i am familiar with.

Things to fix:
turn signal quit working when i was wheeling
cut some more of the floor board out so i can shift from hi to lo
just a bunch of little things(door locks, lights, relay switch)

Goals:
now that i know what is in this rig all i really want to add are little things like
roof rack
spare tire(not sure where to mount it yet)
If its "lurching" at low speeds while in gear, or low speed for a given gear that is normal. I think lol both my manual trucks do it and one has a brand new clutch. Manuals dont like to "crawl" like autos unless you dance the clutch or w/e

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update: I've been going out and doing some wheeling and this truck is a beast.

Work wise update I discovered a leak on the drivers side fender crease by the parking brake not really sure what else to call it. So I cleaned it up and filled it with silicone. I'm just doing this temporarily till I can get ahold of a welder to seal it properly. Hopefully it fixed the leak cause everytime it rains or I hit a puddle the water just fills up the drivers side floor.

Also I got a shifter rebuild like blackb2 recommend so I'll be installing that soon.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I am in some very uncharted water and would really appreciate some help. I have 2 problems that I have run into with the good ole tan 89

#1 please forgive me if I use improper terms and if I do not describe enough then just ask and I will answer as best I can.
So I have a 1350 transfercase doubled to another 1350. And I believe I have a M50d-R1 tranny. The problem that I am having only occurs when I am in 4wd lo/hi and when the doubler is lo/hi. But as I am moving forward it will feel as if it falls out of gear and then I will have no forward movement. Occasionally I will be able to reverse but then when I put it back into first there will be a clicking/winding/spinning sound as if it just doesn’ t want to go into gear. To fix this I have to shift the transfercase from 4wd to 2hi then back down and I will be good to go till it falls out again. Someone told me that it could be the syncros in the tranny but when I looked up those symptoms my tranny doesn’t have any of them. Any input would be great.

#2 my brakes flat out suck. Has anyone done a double piston swap onto a dana 35? Is it worth it? Is it a pretty straight forward swap? I only have brake and the very end of my pedal really want to get a tighter brake pedal and a better stopping ability.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Your brakes sucking is most likely a bleeding, or master, or booster issue. Before you go and swap calipers, you should rule out the issues.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like it could be an issue in one of the transfer cases or maybe with just the shifters. I'm sure it had some type of custom shift linkage to the transfer cases; I'd be curious to know if there are shift gates in place to keep the transfer cases in their respective shift locations.

When you shift the transfer cases, do they seem to pop into gear?

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like it could be an issue in one of the transfer cases or maybe with just the shifters. I'm sure it had some type of custom shift linkage to the transfer cases; I'd be curious to know if there are shift gates in place to keep the transfer cases in their respective shift locations.

When you shift the transfer cases, do they seem to pop into gear?
So the doubler(shifted from inside the truck) i cannot tell if it is popping into the gear but it falls out whether that is in lo or hi. But the main case(shifted from under the truck) i can feel it click into the different positions ie 2hi 4hi N and 4lo. I am going to crawl under and take some pics of it and dig deeper than I already have to see if there is anything obviously out of place.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright alright alrighttt!!! So here's the update. I got the transfer case fixed it was the stupid plastic spacers on the shift fork. So I got that installed and tested it out and worked perfect but the junk part now is the brakes went out and I am in the process of working on that. I'll be posting new pics once I figure these dumb things out and get it out on the trail.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So i know its been forever and thought i should post some pics of a trip i did in the fall cause since then I found some problems ill address later and post about the fixes i am working on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals