• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the slo-vo build thread...

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm from KY :flipoff2:

Glad to see its still getting some work done, I miss that truck I'm wishing I hadn't sold it lol.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw you were digging around in the classifieds. She's done well, I hadn't done much since I brought it here. The trailworthyfab wheels and military tires make the ride horrific on the street lol but gives all sorts of clearance on the trail. Yeah like Pete mentioned I'm slowly tearing apart a d60 I stole from a yard to get put in. With a 14 bolt in the rear.

I was just confused cause I read all sorts of posts about getting crazy flex from the 63' springs. While I get laughed at for the ranger lifting its legs when it tries to flex. Any of your prior knowledge on this would really help.

Also what suspension are you running up front on your expo? I'm thinking about doing leaf springs to be cheap and easy, and cause my lazier friend with a welder starts to whine when I ask if he'll link it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
O yeah, I also swapped in a disk brake 8.8. Lucky for me the one already back there was an expo axle so all I had to do was pull the gears/locker out and move it into the disk 8.8. Also got it street legal, now I wanna get the a/c re-installed cause our summers aren't in the 80's

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It lifts the rear tires so much because the front springs are so stiff, some better springs up front would help it a ton. I just never spent the money on some because I was planning to go tons.

I may actually be buying another ranger in the next few weeks. It's a 3rd gen reg cab long bed, it's just going to be a mild wheeler work/DD truck.

On the expo I'm using rancho 44044 leaves and liquid iron industries leaf sliders.

The ranger looks good on those wheels and tires.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good luck with whatever new project you end up with. I wish I knew what your secret to success was. Between gas and school its hard to get new parts to play with every month.

I think the truck looks down right sexy with the wheels and tires lol, but thats a bit of a biased opinion. I'm going to be doing the ton thing too so I won't be messing with the front suspension.

Is that leaf/shock setup what you're using up front?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shit, I'm broke and I stay this way.

Not sure on shocks yet, I have a set of 15" BBC's but not sure if they will work yet or not.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Dan, where did you find those beadlocks? I actually spent a few minutes today looking at used wheels and tires on CL, eBay, etc.

I almost want to move up to 37's now, but my gear ratio is good where its at.

Slo Vo, Tennessee and Kentucky are practically the same state anyways. :icon_rofl:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shit, I'm broke and I stay this way.

Not sure on shocks yet, I have a set of 15" BBC's but not sure if they will work yet or not.
Shocks I'm not to worried bout its the leaf springs that have me scratching my head. Its the soccer team and trying to find another truck to add to your expo, stang, and lord knows what else that has me wondering what I'm doing wrong. All I have is school lol.

Dan, where did you find those beadlocks? I actually spent a few minutes today looking at used wheels and tires on CL, eBay, etc.

I almost want to move up to 37's now, but my gear ratio is good where its at.
Trailworthyfab.com

They will cost around $200-300 a wheel but used mil tires are were the savings come back.

I need larger gears and it shows on the trail. You'll definitely need to move to 4.88 or higher if you get the 37's. If I wasn't doing a swap soon I would change out my gears. Speaking of, I'll be switching to 8lug when I do my swap, we may work out a little trade if you want.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shocks I'm not to worried bout its the leaf springs that have me scratching my head. Its the soccer team and trying to find another truck to add to your expo, stang, and lord knows what else that has me wondering what I'm doing wrong. All I have is school lol.
exactly it's all a bunch of junk sitting in the way lol, if a wasn't a gear head I'd actually maybe have some money around and a paid off house haha.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Trailworthyfab.com

They will cost around $200-300 a wheel but used mil tires are were the savings come back.

I need larger gears and it shows on the trail. You'll definitely need to move to 4.88 or higher if you get the 37's. If I wasn't doing a swap soon I would change out my gears. Speaking of, I'll be switching to 8lug when I do my swap, we may work out a little trade if you want.

Ah, I thought the set you bought was USED (hence, cheaper).

I currently HAVE 4.88's. They work great! Easy on my tranny, and good normal gearing. However, highway revvs could be lower. The highway drive back to Houston on my 35's I came out to exactly 16.5 MPG. :sad: I was getting 22 MPG highway when I had the previous 3.73.

I'll look into the beadlocks.

Slo Vo, hows the Explorer coming?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Slow, haven't been able to get out there much to work on my own stuff. Been working on plenty of others people's stuff though.

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kryptonitecb- did you have to do any mods on the truck to get the 37s to fit other then what was already done when you got it? looks good with the new shoes!

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kryptonitecb- did you have to do any mods on the truck to get the 37s to fit other then what was already done when you got it? looks good with the new shoes!
No, the fenders are already cut by slo-vo so that worked out great. I did lose some turning radius due to the extended radius arms being in the way but its not that much. If you haven't molested your fenders and liner you will to make it fit. Or a big body lift. The parking brake will rub too.

And yeah the wheels aren't cheap but again double bead locks and ~$50 a tire for a 37" tire can't be beat. Plus there are a few companies that make 44" + tire for a 16.5 wheel.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you get a chance take some good full pictures of the truck, I'd like to see how the 37's fit.

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
slo-vo- did you push the front forward at all when you did radius arms? how much lift on it also?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals