• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The ride was a bit rough

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
it's a 2000 ranger xlt I recently aquired. The ride had this somewhat rythmic bounce/wobble. So I took it to the tire place and asked them to balance my tires. I couldn't help but notice the rims were bent but the tire guy said that's normal, it's ok, I said: I don't think so. (I've noticed that steel rims get bent by these tire places with their pneumatic tire machines, so rather than admit their machines did it they just call the warp normal). So after the balancing, the ride was only slightly better. So I asked them about mounting mags on the truck. The quote was absurd, and the choices were ugly, I won't bother with the details here. Next stop was the local scrap yard. I found a set of mags off an Explorer for $100. I found a set of matching hubcaps on ebay for another $30. Had the tires remounted on the mags. What a huge difference! Still had a funny rythmic bounce. Went and got new tires. The old tires had less than 10k, but somehow they had either broken belts or just bad quality tires. Two problems solves, but still had a lot of steering wheel vibration. Went back to the tire place and had them put new shocks on it. The truck has like 238,000 miles on it, maybe it's time for new shocks. Wow! The truck rides like a cadillac. I can now drive it all day and not feel like I been riding in a rodeo. I was able to go to the VA and back in one day! That's 550 miles and still feel up to watching a movie! Before, it was go there, catch a motel and come home the next day.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That's great that you managed to sort everything out and get it running well.

I probably would suggest use another tire shop though... Any shop that tells you bent wheels are "normal", isn't really deserving of your (or anyone else's, for that matter) money.

Welcome to TRS :beer:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Personally... id like to see a tire machine bend a wheel lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals