• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Lone Ranger – Kage’s ’94 X-Cab Leaf SAS and Bed Bob

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a tranny I would sell ya for less than those, I want $200 for mine plus shipping. Just something to keep in mind if you can't find one.

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are 2 transmissions at Als auto in stlouis for 550$ and one @ rogers in Lebanon mo for 350$ http://car-part.com/
and some dude has a 4x4 4.0 m50d
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2569673536.html
Thanks, I've looked at the car-part ones and I'm hoping my local bone yard has one cheaper. The CL one is an automatic.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

I have a tranny I would sell ya for less than those, I want $200 for mine plus shipping. Just something to keep in mind if you can't find one.
PM inbound.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read this a while ago and have been pondering what to say. I don't want to jinx myself. It sucks to see all the nice DD/weekend warriors take such hard hits. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my shit stays together. haha

I hope you get some good deals and everything goes back together smoothly for ya man.

Last edited:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Kage, i am driving the Whopper from up past Kyle back to KY. I would be happy to throw it in the truck and haul it down. You could meet me somewhere much closer?

Let me know if you need my help.

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read this a while ago and have been pondering what to day. I don't want to jinx myself. It sucks to see all the nice DD/weekend warriors take such hard hits. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my shit stays together. haha

I hope you get some good deals and everything goes back together smoothly for ya man.
At least this isn't a DD, so it being broken isn't that big of a deal however, the daily driver is giving me fits now :annoyed: When it rains it pours (which it is right now, and I can't fit the damn car in the garage to work on it. I understand why people take on car payments to get warntees

Kage, i am driving the Whopper from up past Kyle back to KY. I would be happy to throw it in the truck and haul it down. You could meet me somewhere much closer?

Let me know if you need my help.
Thanks Josh, but Kyle allready sold the Tranny before I got to it. I'm having a breif hope that its actually a problem with the transfer case and not the tranny, but I"m not holding my breath on that one.

Take pictures on your trip though, it should be a blast!

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
more like a death trip! hahaha

I just hope it makes it from Michigan so i don't have to have the HD come pick me up.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, sorry about the tranny. I had made a deal with some guy that got some parts from me about a month ago to sell him the tranny. I had called him a few times in the last week with no answer or call back so I figured he didn't want it anymore, but of course after i offer it to you he called me and confirmed we still had a deal. I am sorry about that

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
more like a death trip! hahaha

I just hope it makes it from Michigan so i don't have to have the HD come pick me up.
I'm sure it'll be fine!

Yeah, sorry about the tranny. I had made a deal with some guy that got some parts from me about a month ago to sell him the tranny. I had called him a few times in the last week with no answer or call back so I figured he didn't want it anymore, but of course after i offer it to you he called me and confirmed we still had a deal. I am sorry about that
Really, no worries bud, turns out it may not be the tranny after all...

Good and bad news:

Good – Looks like the tranny may be ok!

Bad:
- Crawl box died
- ATF and metal in your eye hurts worse than Gasoline (and makes your eye turn a cool shade of red).
- The T-case and Crawl box is heavier than I remembered, so when I pulled it out bench press style, it promptly fell on my ribs. That’s going to hurt tomorrow

So I started out by draining the fluids out of everything. The fluid from the tranny looked good (some metal on the drain plug, but nothing excessive). The fluid out of the T case looked good too. When I drained the crawl box, the fluid that came out of that was burnt and very nasty looking

As I was unhooking the drive shafts, I noticed that the t-case to backing plate was loose (not the joint where the two Duffy Plates meet, but where the Duffy Plate meets the Rear T-case) Marked with an L in this photo:

So I dropped the craw box and t-case (on my damn chest), and tore into it finding this:

I’m pretty sure it went down something like this:
-T-case works itself loose over time
-Loose case puts additional pressure onto the crawl box shift fork
-Nylon ‘fingers’ on the shift fork get worn away, which lead to metal on metal contact with the shift fork. In the process killing the fork and allowing it to slip into and out of gear (this explains the slipping I was feeling, and why I would have forward gears sometimes, and reverse sometimes).

So in the end, the t-case coming out of alignment with the crawl box looks to be what killed it. I’m not sure why it loosened up (I might have forgot to put lock tite on it or something).

So now I need to come up with either the guts from another 1350, or I need to figure out if I can cannibalize an electric 1354 for its guts to make this work. The big question on that is how different the shift forks are between the electric and manual cases.

If anyone knows, feel free to chime in, as I’m going to tear into the electric case tomorrow to see if I can make it work.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is awesome news man. You found the problem, and the reason it happened. Relatively easy solution. Bummer it ended your trip, but the findings could've been much worse.

I had my crawl box out like once a month before I was finally confident that it wasn't going to fail. I've almost got 60k on it now. I think I'll poke my head under there and make sure everything is tight again tomorrow morning. lol

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
60K!!! HOLY SMOKES!!!! i havent even come close to putting a quarter of that on my truck the entire time ive owned it

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is awesome news man. You found the problem, and the reason it happened. Relatively easy solution. Bummer it ended your trip, but the findings could've been much worse.

I had my crawl box out like once a month before I was finally confident that it wasn't going to fail. I've almost got 60k on it now. I think I'll poke my head under there and make sure everything is tight again tomorrow morning. lol
Its somewhat bittesweet. I haven't seen a 1350 box in a yard out here in a long time (I actually got this box from a club member on this board in IA). So I'm going to have to do some digging to find a replacment shift fork and that collar gera that rides on the fork.

60K!!! HOLY SMOKES!!!! i havent even come close to putting a quarter of that on my truck the entire time ive owned it
Lol, must be something about DD'ing it that racks up the mileage for him :icon_twisted:

For what its worth, this combos has about 6,800 road miles on it (about 30 of that was off road (two off road trips)).

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive got a 1350 manual t-case that ive been trying to get rid of for $75. Dont know what it would cost to ship something like that but if your interested PM me.

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive got a 1350 manual t-case that ive been trying to get rid of for $75. Dont know what it would cost to ship something like that but if your interested PM me.

PM inbound!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep. I installed the doubler at 141,500 miles and I'm 1k away from rolling 200k right now.

For the record, I did the axle swap and installed the 35's at 155k miles. My SSR's will make it through the winter, but I'll probably be looking for some 37's next spring/summer.

I'm not lieing when I say it's my DD. lol

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So now I need to come up with either the guts from another 1350, or I need to figure out if I can cannibalize an electric 1354 for its guts to make this work. The big question on that is how different the shift forks are between the electric and manual cases.

If anyone knows, feel free to chime in, as I’m going to tear into the electric case tomorrow to see if I can make it work.
I used electric 1354 shift fork etc. in my 1350 crawl box, went together just fine. I did however use the newer planetaries etc that go with it
here is a pic of a the 1354E

and a pic of the shift fork etc in my 1350 crawl box

and a pic comparing the 1350 4 gear planetary & shift fork set up and the 1354E 6 gear planetary gears and shift fork. They made both style of configurations in the 1350 and 1354 cases, but I think from 92+ they all use the style on the right.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals