• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Lone Ranger – Kage’s ’94 X-Cab Leaf SAS and Bed Bob

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
holy crap you work fast! killer rig man!
This part took me a bit longer than it should have since the weathe just wouldn't cooperate with me. I was shooting to be done within 4 months, it looks like I missed that dead line a bit :icon_twisted:

... someone ought to sticky this build thread as a guide on how build threads should be done. it makes me want to delete mine and start from scratch just to get what little progress i've made organized
Thanks!

Kage, is it me, or does it look like your tubes are pretty close to the body?? Looks like it may rub the body if you contact a tree or worse and put it on its side...:dunno:
SVT
Everyone knows it'll "self clearance" as needed. Lol
I may or may not have clearance a few allready:secret: Most of my gaps are about 1/4 - 3/8" away from the body, yup I'm sure it'll hit the cab some when I flex it out, but I'd rather it do that than get hung up on every tree I squeeze by.

I did leave quite a bit of room around the bed though with the thought that I can lift up the bed some if needed (Fuel pump replacment or such).

Oh and how about hindges and a latch on the exo for tube doors? Could use them with or without the stock doors
Never say never, but I'm not planning on pulling the doors any time soon. With the FW's, the Nittos do a good job of covering the truck in whatever I run over on the trail/road. I guess I'm just getting old as I just don't want to be coverd in road kill from tooling down the road :icon_rofl:

Thanks for the comments guys!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
cage looks good tho. i like it...
but i think you should have painted it CAT yellow instead..lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i like it. maybe a different color, but it works....you do work fast lol

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i like it. Granted, i have my own opinions on how "squared off" the front tubes around the headlights are, but whatever. I still like it. I REALLY like the roof and tail light guards. I might end up exoing D after all. I'd really like to see the paint matching a little better, which from what i have read, so do you. Good Job buddy!:icon_cheers:

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cage looks good tho. i like it...
but i think you should have painted it CAT yellow instead..lol
i like it. maybe a different color, but it works....you do work fast lol
i like it. Granted, i have my own opinions on how "squared off" the front tubes around the headlights are, but whatever. I still like it. I REALLY like the roof and tail light guards. I might end up exoing D after all. I'd really like to see the paint matching a little better, which from what i have read, so do you. Good Job buddy!:icon_cheers:

Thanks guys! We tinted the red down some, now its too dark :icon_twisted:. Screw it, it'll get scraped off on the trails I'll just paint it another color later on. Maybe I'll get real ambitious and respray the whole truck next spring.

Right now, it still needs another coat so no updated photos yet.

robs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe I'll get real ambitious and respray the whole truck next spring.
Oh.. really???? I'll take $5 of that.... :p :p :p

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh.. really???? I'll take $5 of that.... :p :p :p
I'm getting pretty tired of painting so maybe not :icon_twisted:

Instead of the cage being bright red, its not too dark (nearly blood red) with some birght red spots showing through. At this point I'm tired of painting it (3 coats and counting) so I'll just rub the paint off on the trails and try again at a later date :annoyed:.

Edit: As I look at the older photos, I think I preferred the slightly bright red color.. oh well... /edit

Updated Photos:

I also swapped out my modified stock motor mounts for some stockers again. The little "bolt them together" trick didn't work for me as my tired 4.0 was pulling the bolt and washer through the mount (it was even working itself loose in 2 high):

Stock Mounts:

Also swapped out the passenger side exhaust manifold gasket in hopes of solving my exhaust leak.... it didn't :annoyed: Its one of the annoying leaks as it only leaks under load, not idle. So it makes it hard to track it down.

Progress is progress though, I'll go through and update a few of the posts here in a minute (motor mount and exo post).

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually like it darker better, but thats just me

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think it looks lots better darker too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
just paint it black...

everything grille fender flares and exo. it would look sick red and black. just my $.02

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
looks fine dude. Now go scrape all that pretty paint off :D

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks fine dude. Now go scrape all that pretty paint off :D
That's the plan, still don't like the color (I think I like the lighter shade, whatever).

I drove the truck to work today, apparently the ~300 lbs of tube on it is just enough weight to induce the death sway (its also making my rear sag some). So i dropped the money on some Add a leafs to see if that is enough to stiffen up the rear.

Death sway in traffic isn't fun, I'm not really looking foward to the trip home tonight. This is a problem that needs to get figured out ASAP.

I also noticed that the cage is doing a good job of transmitting more noise into the cab, mostly the rear end whine. Not sure what I'll do about that (Regear or throw a 14 bolt at it). We'll see what deals I come across..

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i too like the darker paint for the tubing. and if all else fails paint it black

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
That's the plan, still don't like the color (I think I like the lighter shade, whatever).

I drove the truck to work today, apparently the ~300 lbs of tube on it is just enough weight to induce the death sway (its also making my rear sag some). So i dropped the money on some Add a leafs to see if that is enough to stiffen up the rear.

Death sway in traffic isn't fun, I'm not really looking foward to the trip home tonight. This is a problem that needs to get figured out ASAP.

I also noticed that the cage is doing a good job of transmitting more noise into the cab, mostly the rear end whine. Not sure what I'll do about that (Regear or throw a 14 bolt at it). We'll see what deals I come across..
How about some additional shocks outboarded on all 4 corners with quick release pins (that way the shocks are for on-road use only, and can be pulled in seconds for wheeling)....
SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
So the 60 is coming out?? What would you want for the 60?? I would just want the axle without the calipers or rotors (so you can keep them for your disc brake swap on the 14, or I can give you mine)...I'd be interested if your wanting to part with it....Or I can find a 14 for you and I'll swap you..
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals