• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice rack there Chaz! I think I have you beat... But not by much!!!

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
At least someone is keeping this thread alive.

I added another to my collection. It's in the teens now.

Who says $80 can't get you anything nice anymore?:yahoo:

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
no rifles yet but here's the little buddy I rarely leave home without (not allowed at work)

the 16 round mag doesn't go with me for carry but it's handy at the range.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
welcome to the mosin club duster!

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
welcome to the mosin club duster!

Thanks. I'm going to end up getting more too. I figure another 91/30 for a shooter, as this one is still covered in cosmo, and a few M44 carbines to go with them. I have a sniper 91/30 picked out too.

For a rifle in pretty much brand new condition, that'll knock down deer all day, put decent lead on target, looks cool, fires cheap ammo, aaaaaand is under $100 a piece? You can't beat it really.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
LittleHorse thats exactly the gun I have been looking to get. Im torn between a 9 or a 40 though

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
LittleHorse thats exactly the gun I have been looking to get. Im torn between a 9 or a 40 though
The .40 does have some balls, but I don't mind it too much, if recoil is a concern you may want to go 9mm.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i was in the same position...I basically went 9mm because the ammo was cheaper at the time. I don't have a .40 so I dont know if that's still the case, but 9mm has gotten harder to find since then. Seems like what used to be the most plentiful is now the most in demand. The 9mm also was a little lighter on the recoil than the .40, but obviously not as big a difference as 9mm vs .45.

I also looked at a Sig and a Glock. The Sig was heavier than I'd like for a carry weapon and the Glock felt like a block of legos in my hand compared to the XD which fit me like a glove.

There is always the bigger-is-better group, and I fully willingly admit that a .45 has more knock-down than a 9mm....but I can get my 9mm back on target fast enough to fire about 5 rounds for every 3 out of a .45, it'd be hard to convince me that a .45 is still more effective when it's 3 rounds vs 5. That's an important consideration for a personal defense weapon, IMO.

Best thing to do is just go to the range and shoot both, and see what you lke better. The place I went had several different pistols I could try out and make my decision.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. I'm going to end up getting more too. I figure another 91/30 for a shooter, as this one is still covered in cosmo, and a few M44 carbines to go with them. I have a sniper 91/30 picked out too.

For a rifle in pretty much brand new condition, that'll knock down deer all day, put decent lead on target, looks cool, fires cheap ammo, aaaaaand is under $100 a piece? You can't beat it really.
iv got a nice M44 numbers matching even:icon_thumby:
i need to ad a 91/30, M38, and a Finn 91/30 and M44

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i was in the same position...I basically went 9mm because the ammo was cheaper at the time. I don't have a .40 so I dont know if that's still the case, but 9mm has gotten harder to find since then. Seems like what used to be the most plentiful is now the most in demand. The 9mm also was a little lighter on the recoil than the .40, but obviously not as big a difference as 9mm vs .45.

I also looked at a Sig and a Glock. The Sig was heavier than I'd like for a carry weapon and the Glock felt like a block of legos in my hand compared to the XD which fit me like a glove.

There is always the bigger-is-better group, and I fully willingly admit that a .45 has more knock-down than a 9mm....but I can get my 9mm back on target fast enough to fire about 5 rounds for every 3 out of a .45, it'd be hard to convince me that a .45 is still more effective when it's 3 rounds vs 5. That's an important consideration for a personal defense weapon, IMO.

Best thing to do is just go to the range and shoot both, and see what you lke better. The place I went had several different pistols I could try out and make my decision.
What range did you go to that let you try them?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
What range did you go to that let you try them?
Medlock Firearms in Collinsville. I didn't shoot the actual new guns on display, but they have several available to "rent" and they just happened to have most of the ones I was considering. The XD I actually shot were the full size models rather than the subcompact but it gave me a pretty good idea. Usually I think they charge $10 to rent one of the range guns, but they didn't charge me for the rental or the ammo (I shot 4-5 rounds with each gun i tried out) since I bought one.

Also, their prices are very competitive. I got my XD for $50 less than the next lowest price I'd seen.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Merry Christmas to me!

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Those 303's are ugly rifles but they shoot really well and are uber reliable. Watch the spring in the magazine. They like to fatigue after a while and I have seen them break. Ammo is still relatively cheap, if you can find it!

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Gentlemen....any foreign nation would be nuts.....completely nuts.....to send their troops on U.S. soil.......just judging by the firepower at TRS!!!!!!

They'd have to get Congress to change the laws before they could invade our nation......L.O.L

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps

:icon_surprised:

I think I just exposed our weak point!

EDIT: i just read the 1st post.....sorry if i sayed anything out of line...it's just that....we had an ammo shortage in Viet Nam, too.

Last edited:

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gentlemen....any foreign nation would be nuts.....completely nuts.....to send their troops on U.S. soil.......just judging by the firepower at TRS!!!!!!

They'd have to get Congress to change the laws before they could invade our nation......L.O.L

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps

:icon_surprised:

I think I just exposed our weak point!

EDIT: i just read the 1st post.....sorry if i sayed anything out of line...it's just that....we had an ammo shortage in Viet Nam, too.
a smart man belived that in the 40s as well DG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals