• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Great American Classic

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Nothing is so difficult it cannot be overcome by brute force and ignorance =8-)
Sadly the split case tranny is long gone but yes, the correct 1192 C.C. 36HP engine, it's no ball of fire but I put a camber compensator bar on the swing axles and Bilstein HD rear shocks and it zips 'round corners like nothing .

I just finished three days and slightly over 1,000 miles in it on back roads, the Sports Car guys were all amazed how well it went on seriously twisty back 'farm to market' roads that had close to zero traffic .

On the flat it likes 60 ~ 65 flat out no wind and still gets 30 + MPG in spite of the # 120 main jet I fitted .

MISWFL

Reaction score
You can pick up a bit more power by; cutting open your stock muffler, removing the baffles and then cutting the pea shooters just in front of the crimp holding in the baffle, then yank the inner baffles out. Install the hollowed out pea shooters just deep enough into the hollowed out muffler to get a good bite on the clamps. Run a 009 distributor, but be real careful setting your timing. Ditch the 28 Pict carburetor for a 30 Pict and block off the heat to the intake manifold. You'll have to play with the jetting. Run a 356 or 912 aluminum oil cooler and a Gene Berg oil temp warning dip stick light. A 12 volt 912 generator will bolt on the 36 hp tower. Run a convertible decklid or decklid spacers. I'd ditch the oil bath air cleaner for something better. Dropping the front end will make the car more stable and a tiny bit faster.

Last edited:

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
I'm with you but don't want a noisy exhaust ~ I think someone is reproducing the old 25 & 36HP Stebro Freeflow mufflers .

I already went to a SOLEX 30PICT carby from the 1963 1200 model and am using a BOSCH 019 dizzy, it was designed for the 36HP engine .

This one I saved since 1975 or so, it's painted light metallic blue as it was sold new as part of the BOSCH "Screamer Kit" ~ you appear to know these VW's well .

The modern 009 dizzie's are junk . I have a few older German ones and some 022's etc. but I prefer the 019 as it was designed for the 36HP engine in the 1959 Typ II's .

Timing is critical on 25 & 36HP's as the cranks are easy to break .

I'm looking for the 356 oil cooler, I found that oil temperature dipstick at a local VW Partshaus , I used to have the cylinder head temp sensor that attaches to a 6MM screw next to the intake manifold, my son threw it out when I gave him my old 1968 #211 one ton panel truck .

KYMCO used to sell all manner of great VW tools and accessories like this designed to make your VW run better and last longer no matter if stock or Hot Rodded .

The early cars have a different steering box that's a quicker ratio, I'm lucky it's still there, I keep it full of 90W gear oil and will replace the output shaft oil seal ere long .

I hope no one gets upset about the topic drift here.......

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm with you but don't want a noisy exhaust ~ I think someone is reproducing the old 25 & 36HP Stebro Freeflow mufflers .

I already went to a SOLEX 30PICT carby from the 1963 1200 model and am using a BOSCH 019 dizzy, it was designed for the 36HP engine .

This one I saved since 1975 or so, it's painted light metallic blue as it was sold new as part of the BOSCH "Screamer Kit" ~ you appear to know these VW's well .

The modern 009 dizzie's are junk . I have a few older German ones and some 022's etc. but I prefer the 019 as it was designed for the 36HP engine in the 1959 Typ II's .

Timing is critical on 25 & 36HP's as the cranks are easy to break .

I'm looking for the 356 oil cooler, I found that oil temperature dipstick at a local VW Partshaus , I used to have the cylinder head temp sensor that attaches to a 6MM screw next to the intake manifold, my son threw it out when I gave him my old 1968 #211 one ton panel truck .

KYMCO used to sell all manner of great VW tools and accessories like this designed to make your VW run better and last longer no matter if stock or Hot Rodded .

The early cars have a different steering box that's a quicker ratio, I'm lucky it's still there, I keep it full of 90W gear oil and will replace the output shaft oil seal ere long .

I hope no one gets upset about the topic drift here.......
The Ranger station IS topic drift...

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
THANK YOU Good Sir ! .

I'm on many different forums and some are really insistent about ! NO TOPIC DRIFT ! .

I wish there was more I could say about my 2001 but it just keeps on running mile after mile....

Death Valley, Arizona, Central California, it just goes and goes, I love it because I'm a farm boy who loves work trucks .

I'm gentle with it so every where I got folks tell me how nice it is .

I'm always searching for some better part, I find Ford Dealer stock for most of it so it looks good, chrime grille when the paint flaked off the original, so on and so forth .

I'll talk old VW's and Motocycles until your ear bleed if you don't stop me .

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Today I figured out where the power steering cooler went, mounted that. Then while trying to connect the lines to the cooler I linked the one hard line.

Tightened up the motor mounts I left loose.

Dropped the radiator into place.

Then the thought crossed my mind I may need to loosen the passenger side header for the 57th time to connect the wiring to the starter, so I called it a day.

Last week I got new hardware for and mounted the battery tray. Not sure what I did with the hold down wedge.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Still haven’t given up.

Spent a few hours this afternoon on it.

- Discovered the starter was already installed, but still have to pull the header again to connect the wires. Did not do this.
- Replaced the connector for the coolant temp sender.
- Replaced the connector for the fan motor.
- Replaced one of the hard lines for the power steering rack that got kinked. (Ps system is 100% installed now.)
- Installed the water bottle for the radiator and the upper/ lower hoses. (Coolant system is 100% installed.)
- connected a few vacuum hoses that were loose.

At this point I decided to quit for the day while I was ahead. I made some progress and no major catastrophic event occurred. More progress then anything I’ve done since June.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is only a hand full of things to do before pushing it out of the garage and starting it up.
I could probably get it all done in a weekend if I put myself to it.

The summer was extremely busy with rebuilding my brothers ranger and fixing up my mothers house.

Probably should get it running before the baby comes………

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Don't rush things, a better job is done when you're having fun with it .

I have some engine questions about my 2001 base model with 2.5 L 4 banger and 5 speed manual box, is there a place i should look ? .

I'm sure that everything I want to know has been covered in detail already .

TIA,

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
There are engine sections, drivetrain section, and general section for questions

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you ever worked with that brake line valve contraption? I think mine's stopped up and it's near impossible to get to, much less work on
I haven’t ever messed with it. Just moved it out of the way while working on the car. I don’t think it’s a proportioning valve, I think it’s just a splitter.
I’ve never had issues with the brake lines getting clogged up, what makes you think there’s an issue?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven’t ever messed with it. Just moved it out of the way while working on the car. I don’t think it’s a proportioning valve, I think it’s just a splitter.
I’ve never had issues with the brake lines getting clogged up, what makes you think there’s an issue?
I just don't think my rear brakes are fully functioning

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
I understand there are sections, why I asked because I don't really grasp witch one to use .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals