• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The difference betweem LUK and cheese

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Many times I have seen threads on here asking about what clutch kit to install in your Ranger. Well here are some photos of the LUK RepSet that I just unpacked to install in my build. I have compared it to the cheap replacement clutch that came out.

Ok... So the pressure plate wasn't yellow when I unpacked it.(engine paint works wonders) But as you will see in the following photo comparing the pressure plates what happens to bare metal in a very short time in my climate.

As you can plainly see the LUK (painted yellow) has more metal where it counts in the pressure plate frame. The LUK plate is also notably heavier when you pick it up compared to the cheesy plate.

Again with the Friction Plate.. You can easily see the quality difference. Meatier frame and springs plus heavier rivets and webbing make for an all around stronger product. Also notice the cheese plate has three rivets holding the hub spring assembly in place and the LUK has four.

I didn't take a picture of the cracked metal in the hub web of the cheese plate but next time I take the camera out to the garage I'll snap one and upload it. I hope that many of you will find this post useful in helping whether or not to purchase a quality clutch or cheese.

LUK in no way sponsored this blatant propaganda. I simply don't want to see any of you guys crying by the trail.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I noticed the same thing when compared a Perfection clutch to my Luk Gold set.

3 or 4 of my old college instructors worked for Luk in research and development.

Luk actually supplys the big three for OEM clutches. But their "Gold" versions improve on known weak points. My 95 factory clutch disc had Luk stamped on it.

-PlumCrazy

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Weight isn't always a good thing. I put a Tilton Engineering aluminum flywheel on a MGB I had and it was amazing how it helped the acceleration. Granted, for a truck, more metal is better.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I used the Luk Repset when I did the 4.0L clutch conversion on my BII. Good quality stuff no doubt.

In a truck (especially if rockcrawling) a bit more flywheel weight is certainly a good thing to have.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put a LUK set in my truck when I first built it at least 10 years ago. Actually, I think it was 12. I think it was 2001 in the winter. I bought the LUK stuff on the phone, I remember that. It wasn't the Gold--it was a lesser kit. But it has been doing mammoth duty ever since.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
When I first bought the Rat, I figured I would just slap a new disc in. 50 Bucks and an afternoon :icon_rofl: When I found this forum. I was given the news, that the job is such a PITA to do , that it is best to do it right the first time. Those pictures of chalk and cheese and what makes them such was a great demo. :D

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Holy nuts, I bet that old clutch hat chattering issues. I had a Luk in my Explorer, and I really enjoyed it. I'm thinking of putting one in the Stang on my next go around. It has a Ford Racing King Cobra in it now, which is made by Valeo. It's starting to chatter in reverse (only), which seems really weird to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals