• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Test for frozen brake cylinders?

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
I posted a few months ago that I was replacing the rear brake shoes, but could not get the drum over the new shoes. Suggestions were made to check to make sure the parking brake cables were not frozen, as well as the brake cylinders.

How do I check the cylinders? When I started the job, the rubber cylinder caps were dry and no fluid appeared to be seeping out. But I accidentally knocked one of the brass pieces out of the cylinder, and when I put it back in, fluid seeped out of the rubber cup. Did I mess anything up? Is there anything else I need to know about the cylinders?

I will tackle this job again soon, but wanted info and opinions from others before I do.

Thanks,

Paul

mrcarcrazy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If fluid is coming out of them replace them. they are very easy to swap. and not terribly expensive.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the drum off and shoes installed, have someone depress the pedal slowly while you watch the shoes spread. Voila. Or, leave the tires, drums on, jackstand the rear axle, spin each side while someone presses the pedal. Tire will stop spinning if the brake is working.

I used to buy $7 rebuild kits for wheel brake cylinders, oh so long ago. Now, a new one is ~$15, so they get replaced. They are incredibly easy and I don't think you hurt yours one bit by putting that piston back in the cup. The most it needs is bled. If the bleeder breaks off, replace the wheel cylinder.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I make it a point to FILL the area between the boot and the piston on
each end of the wheel cylinder with silicone grease

My problem with wheel cylinders has always been caused by the "boot" eventually getting filled with water and causing the piston to rust in place.

YEARS ago I had a problem like that on my "fast" Dodge (a 340Dart)
and I got a pair of cylinders sleeved by SSBco, then I personally
machined my own set of stainless pistons.

If I had to do it all again, I'd have the cylinders sleeved with brass
and I'd make the pistons from Titanium....

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals