• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Test fit my motor today... pics!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I'm finally get started on my '93 Ranger, and wanted to see how the motor would fit. Even though the motor has the wrong oil pan and isn't close to being ready, I still wanted to see how it looked in there...

I had this on one end...

And this on the other end...

So I was able to twist the motor about 45*, pointing the flexplate toward the passenger seat and the harmonic balancer toward the driver side headlight, and without any trouble at all was able to lower the motor in without hacking the core support...

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good! Just a pinch here and there! LOL I can't wait to send my 289 to the machine shop! I'm gonna do the 3" inch body lift before I put mine it to help out for clearance. What year is that 302?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I'm not for sure of the year, somewhere early 70's... and it's a 460 :3gears:

D0VE-A block and D0VE-C heads

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats gona be bad As$, keep us posted on the build.:icon_hornsup:

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
yeah, that's a big intake manifold for a 302!! another tell is that short, straight water bypass hose.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I'm not for sure of the year, somewhere early 70's... and it's a 460 :3gears:

D0VE-A block and D0VE-C heads

That would explain why it would'nt fit at first!:icon_rofl: I just glanced at it. Holy Hell!:shok: That's gonna kick ass when you get it to fit!:icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good! Just a pinch here and there! LOL I can't wait to send my 289 to the machine shop! I'm gonna do the 3" inch body lift before I put mine it to help out for clearance. What year is that 302?
That goofed me up to, I blame his name.

I couldn't beleive how huge it was in there, the thermostat/water pump didn't look like anything I had seen a 302.

I didn't get straightened out until I saw the discription of his truck. :icon_idea:

All things considered it doesn't really fit that bad. :icon_thumby:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
x2 i was like dam thats a tight fit, and the biggest 5.0 ive ever seen lol

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Going to run fuel injection or carb?

I see FI 460's in the junkyard all the time..pulling the intakes and harness off of one would be cake.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
lol its easy to tell its a big block, you could probably fit a 302 between the valve covers of those engines lol.. thats going to be nasty!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

There's more room in there than I was expecting, but it fills up quick when things start getting put in place.

I'd love to have fuel injection, and even as much as I hate carbs, I'm gonna have a carb on it. The ports of the EFI heads don't match my heads, and I'm not swappin my D0VE-C heads for the EFI heads... so I'll have to learn to deal with a carb.

This is the first test fit of this engine... I may also test fit a 3.8 SC motor before I commit to the 460.

I'm still uncertain of what I want to do for a transmission. I have a good AOD that I could use, but it's going to be a few months until lentech turns out some adapter kits for them.

I could run an E4OD, but that thing is HUGE!!!

Either OD trans would be accompanied by 3.73 rear end gears and around a 28" tire.

I could rebuild a C6 for cheap, but then I'd have to run something like a 3.08 gear... YUCK!!! And it still wouldn't be a good highway cruiser.

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
There's always the 2.08 gears, but those lincolns also had the 9.75 in ring gear!! LOL, you'd have to do a LOT of cutting down! But it would cruise all day on the highway at 1800 rpms. I think you would have to hang a second ranger gas tank on the passenger side!! That would sure eliminate the ranger lean!!

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

There's more room in there than I was expecting, but it fills up quick when things start getting put in place.

I'd love to have fuel injection, and even as much as I hate carbs, I'm gonna have a carb on it. The ports of the EFI heads don't match my heads, and I'm not swappin my D0VE-C heads for the EFI heads... so I'll have to learn to deal with a carb.

This is the first test fit of this engine... I may also test fit a 3.8 SC motor before I commit to the 460.

I'm still uncertain of what I want to do for a transmission. I have a good AOD that I could use, but it's going to be a few months until lentech turns out some adapter kits for them.

I could run an E4OD, but that thing is HUGE!!!

Either OD trans would be accompanied by 3.73 rear end gears and around a 28" tire.

I could rebuild a C6 for cheap, but then I'd have to run something like a 3.08 gear... YUCK!!! And it still wouldn't be a good highway cruiser.

What kind of problems have you had with a carb ? Most who do have problems with em, never take the time to understand what makes em work. That combined with the normal "bigger is better" thinking in picking parts gets you problems quickly. Depending on how you build the 460, as a minimum a 700-750 carb will work fine for most applications. Bigger isn't always better when picking a carb. It's not EFI, where the fuel is injected into the air stream. A carb depends on the pressure differential between the intake and aircleaner (otherwise known as vacuum) to draw the fuel from the bowls. The bigger the carb, the lower the vacuum signal you have to work with. So a smaller carb responds quicker to the engine's demands. As for running 3.08's, with the torque of a 460, you'll never notice the taller gearing from a dead stop in a relatively light vehicle. It'll light up the rear tires so easily, they'll (the spinning tires) will act as a de-facto lower gear ratio

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
lookin good!

now you need to change your user name!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals