• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tacoma or Ranger

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Toyota has presumably better quality, but my 02 ranger used almost no parts for the 9 years I had it. Toyota parts are outrageous and a lot of the stealerships expect customers to kiss their ass. I tried to buy an '11 taco to replace my ranger this summer and ended up getting an ecoboost f-150 instead. The reason? Toyo offered 1K off sticker and apparently didn't know how to operate a phone and call back when promised, numerous times. Ford dropped 10K off the sticker and knew how to use the phone. Its as simple as that. As far as I'm concerned, toyota can kiss my ass after that experience...

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't forget Nissan either. My sister has had good luck with hers and she is horrible with maintenance.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
If you're purchasing a new truck I'd also vote Toyota. The new rangers are old tech. The only difference between my 05 and a brand new 12 is rear disk brakes, mirrors, and grill. You're essentially purchasing old technology. The Tacoma will at least be competitive in todays mid-size pickups.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Nobody asked me but I think the Toyota is a better truck.

Now that I've said that here's my Ranger pros:

1. Good solid truck
2. Bed bolts in the bed, not underneath.
3. Old but proven technology

Now here's the bad:

1. Old but proven technology. There's nothing new about the 2.3 or the 4.0. Ancient engines.

For Toyota:

1. The bed is some kind of composite material. NO RUST!
2. Both the 2.7 and the 3.?? engines are fairly new.
3. Nice and quiet

The bad:

1. No stake holes
2. More money and less content.
Not that it really matters, but the the 2.3L used in the Rangers isn't that old. Well I guess it is around 10 years now, but the Toyota 2.7L goes back to at least 1995.

Your'e right about the V6 though, the 4.0L SOHC Ford probably dates back to 98 or 99 I would guess. The Toyota 4.0L I believe is just a few years old.

I love Rangers, and usually don't really care much for foreign cars/trucks, but I would love to have a 4x4 Tacoma. Thats my thing, if I want a 2wd I like Rangers. 4x4 I still like Rangers but would definitely also drive a Toyota. There is just something about a 2wd Tacoma I don't like. Not that its a bad truck they just look weird to me.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
StrayCat could have gotten a 4 door ranger. They were just badged as Sport Tracs. :thefinger:

Back to the advertised topic.

Problems I have with the newer Rangers:
Interior seems small and cramped. Regular cab or super. (My 88 is roomier)
The 4.0 (sohc) is a 10y/o+ platform.
The 2.3 has little power but semi-impressive gas mileage.

Problems I have with Tacomas (Mind you, I cannot say anything for power or handling. Have not driven one):
It is a foreign company (I'd rather support domestic ones personally)
Pricey.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
New I would buy Taco, used a Ranger. I have had new Rangers and new Tacomas and new I buy the taco.

Although as far as I can see the Suzuki Equator is a rebadged Tacoma, they even look similar, for a couple thousand less.
:annoyed: The Suzuki Equator is actually a rebadged Nissan Frontier.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Tacoma's, a lot of them, are made in the us now... I think.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess the census is...

Not a Chevy Colorado!!! LOL
What POS's

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fyi, toyotas are not more reliable than other cars/trucks. People will put$3000 in repairs in a toyota and turn around and say what a great truck it is and how its never givin them a problem. Its 90% hype. The price is rediculous, my friend at work just payed $6000 for a 1993 tacoma with 130,000 miles on it.... its in good shape, yes, but its rediculous! He also says what a great truck it is, even though the previous owner kept all the service records and there is aabout $5000 in recent repairs in the last 3 years. Also, have fun finding a used part, or even new parts. I worked at a toyota bmw and chevy dealer, and the toyota parts are usually twice as much as the bmw parts.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And don't get me on started the work force! Toyota still builds most of their junk in japan and out of the u.s.! Just because their commercials say they're more american, they're not all! And plus their parts are mosty still from japan or china, just assembled in the u.s., but still mostly assembled in japan. P.s. the majority of the profits still go to toyota in japan! The money doesn't stay in the u.s.

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Fyi, toyotas are not more reliable than other cars/trucks. People will put$3000 in repairs in a toyota and turn around and say what a great truck it is and how its never givin them a problem. Its 90% hype. The price is rediculous, my friend at work just payed $6000 for a 1993 tacoma with 130,000 miles on it.... its in good shape, yes, but its rediculous! He also says what a great truck it is, even though the previous owner kept all the service records and there is aabout $5000 in recent repairs in the last 3 years. Also, have fun finding a used part, or even new parts. I worked at a toyota bmw and chevy dealer, and the toyota parts are usually twice as much as the bmw parts.

Sounds like Apple computer users.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I don't know about all that but my last Tacoma I put 60,xxx miles on it in 18 months..... Not 1 problem.... Not even brake or tire issues, still had the original tires when I bought the Tundra.

If I hadn't lost my job and had to surrender the Tundra I would still have it. Ma bought a 2000 Ranger at the same time...... The first 30k it was fine..... After that I could not tell you, she traded it for a Tundra.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
:annoyed: The Suzuki Equator is actually a rebadged Nissan Frontier.
You got doc. On this? Side by side comparison it specs out identical to a Taco...... Sure would really lile to know for sure. Not that I could afford one either way.

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You got doc. On this? Side by side comparison it specs out identical to a Taco...... Sure would really lile to know for sure. Not that I could afford one either way.
YES! Look at the pics, especially the rear side window on the extended cab, Suzuki is defiantly a Nissan. Better than the Dakota it was rebadged before.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I guess the census is...

Not a Chevy Colorado!!! LOL
What POS's
Oh yea, Colorado and the Dakota aren't even on the list. I'll keep my current truck before I pick up one of those junkers. Never got a chance to get to the stealership yesterday, headed out the door now for one of em.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals