• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

switching over to the darkside

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Don't get pissy now! I just had a hard time accepting that someone would dump that nice Ranger for a POS. Hell I guess I was wrong and you would prefer a POS....

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
Don't get pissy now! I just had a hard time accepting that someone would dump that nice Ranger for a POS. Hell I guess I was wrong and you would prefer a POS....
I don't get "pissy" I'am not a female. As for POS, the ram is being bought for a project and its end product will top a 2wd ranger.

Phiiilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't get "pissy" I'am not a female. As for POS, the ram is being bought for a project and its end product will top a 2wd ranger.
I'm a dodge man myself, Ranger's nice for fuel economy, and for a little fun in the sun, but when it comes down to it, you're going to have to need a actually truck to actually get stuff done. And for 5k$, hell I'd take it!

Enough bitching, go turn some wrenches.
:icon_thumby:
:icon_welder:

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
What truck do you even have bud. Rangers are good little trucks but when it comes down to it they will only do a 1/4 of the work that a full size will do.

Lets hear something smart and that really has to do with this topic come out of you

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
5000 is def a good price and everybody has to admit a good 4.0 sohc fx4 is one heck of a little work horse for a small mid sized GAS engine. But I would def prefer a stroker over a cummins but for 5000 trust me pal I would have me a cummins :D lol. Everybody has their own taste, so nobody should belly ache with this poor guy for getting an awesome deal on a real WORK truck. A diesel is a diesel and theres no substitute for that my friend :headbang:

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a dodge man myself, Ranger's nice for fuel economy, and for a little fun in the sun, but when it comes down to it, you're going to have to need a actually truck to actually get stuff done. And for 5k$, hell I'd take it!

Enough bitching, go turn some wrenches.
:icon_thumby:
:icon_welder:
:icon_hornsup:

What truck do you even have bud. Rangers are good little trucks but when it comes down to it they will only do a 1/4 of the work that a full size will do.

Lets hear something smart and that really has to do with this topic come out of you
glad to see his ignorance isn't invisible

5000 is def a good price and everybody has to admit a good 4.0 sohc fx4 is one heck of a little work horse for a small mid sized GAS engine. But I would def prefer a stroker over a cummins but for 5000 trust me pal I would have me a cummins :D lol. Everybody has their own taste, so nobody should belly ache with this poor guy for getting an awesome deal on a real WORK truck. A diesel is a diesel and theres no substitute for that my friend :headbang:
I will admit to you that not only the 4.0L ranger but all the rangers are extremely reliable workhorses and will get the job done, just with limited space and power. I agree with you on the 'stroke, I would much rather have a Ford over a Dodge. Most diesel mechanics I have spoken with, say that the 12v is a reliable long lasting, efficient, and powerful engine. As for Dodge part of the deal it will have to win me over. :icon_cheers:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, to start off, cummins is a far better motor then a powerstroke.
im a ford guy at heart but facts are facts/ sure they arent fast (specially a 12v) but with the right know how and a lil effort, they can make great power and decent economy.
however uf you think your gonna get 20 mpg with 37's, your wrong. maybe 13-15.
as far as lift kits go, bds sells a 4.5 base kit for 1600.
however you can get a levelling kit (300 bucks if you do it yourself) and run 33's (see my show off your truck thread), my setup is leveling kit and 33" nitto mud grapplers, and it does great offroad. Keep in mind if you wanna flex like a jeep buildin a dodge is the soo wrong way to go.
now. as far as twins, your gonna be up in the $20,000 budget to build a 96 to handle that. and did this "fresh tranny" come with a reciept? if not you cant garauntee u should have the tranny checked over before anything.
and the problems with the 47rh+47re transmissions is mainly oiling, and weak converters.
depending on your tech know how you can build a serious duty auto for around 4 grand or 5.
mine had a rebuilt one installed before i got it, with a heavy duty converter (good for about 450 horse) for 2400 bucks. billet shafts and throttle body work are the main weak spots once ur into the 600+ horse range, which ill probably never reachw ith this truck
diesel power magazine ran articles called building on a budget,
ill link you to their site, as well as to bds's site for the 4.5" lift.
if you have tools and general knowledge of vehicles, this is a driveway weekend job, with a good name like bds.
say rough country, you might have to improvise a bit. ( sometimes tricky)
my dodge is a 24valve, and it is wayyy faster then 12 valves, but it is limited on its amount to make power. 12 valves can be built to make as much as 1500 horsepower and more.
one guy in a diesel power magazine made 1300 horse, while running 100 psi of boost (wow)
id be scared to run more than 35!!!
if you go over to cumminsforum they have tons of useful info and friendly members.
links!!!
BDS
diesel power recipies budget minded
i also read that according to diesel power, the 96-98.5 (early model 98's are 12 valve, but have the new interior, reffered to by diesel power as the holy grail truck haha)
have a stronger transmission and better injection pump (and i have a new injection pump in mine, reciept for 2000 plus install last year)
which are pluses for you.
first thing id do it turn up the pump and change every fluid.
then have it dynoed so you have a baseline.
then add mods and dyno so we can see what kinda gain u have (plus then u have a dyno sheet, which is respectable)
and good luck, welcome to the cummins owning club, hope you didn't give up the ranger but i guess if you did it happens

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
ok, to start off, cummins is a far better motor then a powerstroke.
im a ford guy at heart but facts are facts/ sure they arent fast (specially a 12v) but with the right know how and a lil effort, they can make great power and decent economy.
however uf you think your gonna get 20 mpg with 37's, your wrong. maybe 13-15.
as far as lift kits go, bds sells a 4.5 base kit for 1600.
however you can get a levelling kit (300 bucks if you do it yourself) and run 33's (see my show off your truck thread), my setup is leveling kit and 33" nitto mud grapplers, and it does great offroad. Keep in mind if you wanna flex like a jeep buildin a dodge is the soo wrong way to go.
now. as far as twins, your gonna be up in the $20,000 budget to build a 96 to handle that. and did this "fresh tranny" come with a reciept? if not you cant garauntee u should have the tranny checked over before anything.
and the problems with the 47rh+47re transmissions is mainly oiling, and weak converters.
depending on your tech know how you can build a serious duty auto for around 4 grand or 5.
mine had a rebuilt one installed before i got it, with a heavy duty converter (good for about 450 horse) for 2400 bucks. billet shafts and throttle body work are the main weak spots once ur into the 600+ horse range, which ill probably never reachw ith this truck
diesel power magazine ran articles called building on a budget,
ill link you to their site, as well as to bds's site for the 4.5" lift.
if you have tools and general knowledge of vehicles, this is a driveway weekend job, with a good name like bds.
say rough country, you might have to improvise a bit. ( sometimes tricky)
my dodge is a 24valve, and it is wayyy faster then 12 valves, but it is limited on its amount to make power. 12 valves can be built to make as much as 1500 horsepower and more.
one guy in a diesel power magazine made 1300 horse, while running 100 psi of boost (wow)
id be scared to run more than 35!!!
if you go over to cumminsforum they have tons of useful info and friendly members.
links!!!
BDS
diesel power recipies budget minded
i also read that according to diesel power, the 96-98.5 (early model 98's are 12 valve, but have the new interior, reffered to by diesel power as the holy grail truck haha)
have a stronger transmission and better injection pump (and i have a new injection pump in mine, reciept for 2000 plus install last year)
which are pluses for you.
first thing id do it turn up the pump and change every fluid.
then have it dynoed so you have a baseline.
then add mods and dyno so we can see what kinda gain u have (plus then u have a dyno sheet, which is respectable)
and good luck, welcome to the cummins owning club, hope you didn't give up the ranger but i guess if you did it happens
I appreciate all the valuable information, being an owner of one is a lot more respectable. Even with gearing it differently I would still get 15mpgs with 37? This build isn't exactly on a budget, I want to lift, paint, wheels, tires, tint, upholestry first and then over the years of owning it give her a little more juice. As far as the transmission, the guy said he had it rebuilt with a "heavy duty" transmission I'll most def. ask for the receipt.

I notice on dodges trucks that you have to lift it a bit to make a look like a beast. I have been looking around and the skyjacker 7in long arm doesn't get any clearance because it has those stupid arms. I'am thinking about an 6" RCD suspension lift, but I don't think 37s will fit with just that unless I flared the back fenders. So could I do the 6" with a 2-3in coil spacer?

thanks

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
On my 96 1500 I had 38.5" boggers with only 6.5" of lift was not doing trails anymore with it just mud but they fit

I bought my cummins for pulling the mud truck so I have no want to lift or really tweak the motor plus the 6.7 doesnt have alot out there yet. but a 1ton drw truck i get 19-23mpg running 55 to 60mph and 16 to 18 running 70-75mph.

I would be happy with 37 and pulling 15 mpg

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
On my 96 1500 I had 38.5" boggers with only 6.5" of lift was not doing trails anymore with it just mud but they fit

I bought my cummins for pulling the mud truck so I have no want to lift or really tweak the motor plus the 6.7 doesnt have alot out there yet. but a 1ton drw truck i get 19-23mpg running 55 to 60mph and 16 to 18 running 70-75mph.

I would be happy with 37 and pulling 15 mpg
Could you put a picture of it on here? I need a little reference, I have looking crazy but the only thing I could find to reference any kind of lift its this article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/0811dp_1999_dodge_ram_2500_cummins/index.html and it only has 35's on it with a 8" lift. I'am happy with 37s with 15mpg could get a lot worse trying to make a monster out of another vehicle. :icon_cheers:

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
this is 38.5 with 6.5" of lift sorry I don't full bumper but that doesn't really matter

thats 50" tires

this is 50" tires under water

Last edited:

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
thanks @redjosh,

that things a beast no doubt, with the 50's woooo eeeee

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man the truck is tried and true. I want to one day swap it over to a cummins but its will probly never happen with this truck but the next one will be for sure a 12v mudder rollin coal

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My stroker can get a little over 400 miles per tank(i think last i checked i went 396 before i filled it back up and it was just a hair below 1/4 tank), runnin 33's and spoolin around 25lbs of boost(i can peg 20 no prob, but i rarely ever go over 15lbs with it just driving back and forth to work). I know it at LEAST has a 30 gallon tank, Reg cab long bed is what i have, im not 100% on what gallon my tank is as i dont let it go completely down to where the low fuel light comes on. A Buddy of mine had a 00 ext cab stroker rollin on 35s and i think he said he got maybe 15 if he was lucky on the highway. Just remember, bigger the tire, the more it takes to move'em and the more fuel it sucks. Unless you do a gear change, then it might help you out a little bit.

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
are these stroker autos

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals