• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap engines, need timing done still?

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I
Okay my mechanic told my the head was seeping on my 89. But it's never run hot until the other day when it started smoking inside the cab (not from the engine bay), which led me to believe that the smoke was coming from the heater core. So of course I bypassed it. It's no longer smoking in the cab, but before that happened the engine temperature gauge never even got past the cold on the gauge.. but since that happened, it stays in the normal part. But I would think if the head was seeping then it would have run hot, but it never did. Something is obviously wrong because I lose a lot of power around 4th gear, lose a great deal of speed and momentum going up hill. If I take the valve cover off should I be able to tell once I'm in there if something like that is wrong with it,? Obviously if I see a crack somewhere I'll be able to notice, but the very same y thing happened to my 86, and it never ran hot, the only difference was that in my 86 the motor would shake vigorously while at idle but she would smooth out once I pushed the accelerater but same exact thing, I would lose a lot of momentum to him and she didn't want to go even if I had my foot to the floor. I took that engine out but couldn't ever find a crack in the head or anything like that. I'm trying to learn all I can so any advice or pointers that y'all give me i will surely listen, ty so much, you guys have been a great help!! And also, does the engine required to still be put into time even I left it on tdc when I removed the engine ty!!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is this a 2.9?

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals