• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Subwoofer System Question

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, is there any way you can can fit a 12 inch sub in the back of a 2001 ranger xlt extended cab. if so, what would be the best box dimensions, keep in mind that i need as much room as i can back there cause i usually take friends to school every mornin. so im gonna need a fairly little box, is it possible to put a 12 inch sub in a little box? Im new to car stereos and subwoofer systems so if yall could help me out, it would be much apprieciated!

Thanks guys!

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
all you need is a truck box for the sub. I have a 12 inch jl w3 behind my drivers seat. As long as your not over 6 foot you should be ok with it behind your seat but you can always put it behind the passenger seat too. forgot to mention i have an 03 extended cab. if you go with a higher quality sub alot of times they require less cubic inches for space like a JL or a square kicker solo baric

Last edited:

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you just have to find some subs that can be used in small sealed boxes.

gatlin04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
whatever you buy, look to see the recommended air space and the depth of the sub

IDK... maybe in the center?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i do have a kenwood 12" sub in my regular cab 99, the sub is 5" deep, so the box i made is like 6", i placed it behind the passenger seat, i lost a bit of leg room and i cant recline it that much , but i have a good loud bass now!!, i may post some pics if u like to see, the box covers only the pass side seat, so the driver side is clear to move the seat as u want

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all you need is a truck box for the sub. I have a 12 inch jl w3 behind my drivers seat. As long as your not over 6 foot you should be ok with it behind your seat but you can always put it behind the passenger seat too. forgot to mention i have an 03 extended cab. if you go with a higher quality sub alot of times they require less cubic inches for space like a JL or a square kicker solo baric
quality has nothing to do with airspace requirements. square solos take pretty large boxes to sound halfway decent. My 15" L7 is in a 6 cubic foot as reccomended. the older round solobarics were great for small sealed boxes. And JL isnt high quality just high dollar, dont get me wrong its good but definetly not worth extra money

ranger rebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same truck. i was looking and this looks the best:http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=21&catId=60

looks good, im not sure where it goes though. can anyone enlighten me. also has anyone made this or know directions on how to make this?

im guessing that you could some how fit a sub if you took the plastic part off that houses the jack and other tools. anyone try this?

thanks

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just remember not any subwoofers will sound good sealed in .8 cubic feet, so research first

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i had a 15 inch kicker behind my seat and im 6' fit just fine. i now have a 12'' kicker, lol fits even better. more well known brands makes thinner subs and truck boxes called power wedges. kicker eclipse JL JBL they all do. just watch the smaller you go on your box specs the more balls your amp might have to be. start looking at the specs and start crunching numbers.

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just finished building an new box this weekend and hope to get all my new stuff in this weekend. I bought a kenwood excelon 10" flat subwoofer. it only requires a .60 cu ft box. and is only 3 3/8" of an inch deep. i have no idea on how well it sounds yet, but i custom built a small ported box to fit behind the driver seat. my outside dimensions are 14"x17 1/2"x5 1/2". the floor is nice and flat behind the driver seat and i will still be able to fold down the jump seat if i need to. Also the i have found the kenwood excelon's online for around $110 shipped for the 10" and about $125 shipped for the 12".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals