• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sturgis Mustang Rally, anyone else going?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Photobucket is down today, I did put up the timelapse of the fun run though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCiSKvBPqY

I didn't record this but this is the burnout contest. That black '10 convertable is the hardest running 4.6 of any sort I have seen. No blower and he never held anything back throughout the event, autocross, stop box, burnout, drag racing... that thing always ran all out. I heard from a couple people he set both his piles of rubber and the tires on fire last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iLzCJDJpk

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally got me a photobucket back :yahoo:

Anyway, Saturday was the show:

Lining up

Judges are getting close pop the hood! (I detailed the engine I might add :icon_thumby:)

On to the walk about...

I love this aircleaner housing...

ooo a 4x4... :icon_twisted:

This guy did everything but the burnout contest with his fairly rare GT-350, he got an award out of it.

Group picture time :headbang:

2013 GT-500 :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Darn thing has a 150k miles on it...

I think the guys wife wrote this:

:icon_rofl:

This car was beside my brother's. The poor guy was about 40 miles from home and he hit a pheasant. But a huge scuff in his hood stripe (only sold by the set for $500) splattered blood all over the windshield and filled the hoodscoop full of guts and corn.

A former Rally diceroll car, actually from the last time we made it here.

Just another V6...

Or not... :shok:

Ol' Horsey again, not quite as stock as my brother's.

The guys at the AVF tent was saying a tune, CAI, Boss intake and longtubes was good for 450RWHP... not too bad. :icon_thumby:

This thing was two cars ahead of us in the parade, it sounded as tough as it looks.

Parade Time :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sunday was the awards banquet. On our way there this rig passed us. I was excited to see a 5.0 badge on the fender too.

There can't be too many of these running around.

A pretty neat idea.

Even the stupid car had a date for supper. I just ate with my brother like I did every other meal on the trip. :annoyed:

Supper was prime rib (very good) with potatoes, steamed veggies (which I passed on), a salad, mustang cookies and a roll.

Our keynote speaker was Steve Saleen. Both him and his daughter were there at the show to sign things. We were busy with the show and missed it.

Still don't really know how this worked out, it had to have been the engine detail that set us above all the fancy 12's and 13's in our class. :yahoo:

I didn't win the diceroll and neither did anyone else so the auctioned the car off. It was a complete one off by Saleen, MSRP was $95k. I haven't ever been to a car auction but in my farm sale experiance it was a fight to sell it for $75k, Steve threw in a blower and a fairly long driving school at Miller to help move it along. They said it was lengthened front and rear and they had $20k in the paint job (which they completly stripped the car for)

In closing I haven't been a part of an event where seemingly everything and everyone is geared to making it an awesome time since the Boy Scout Jamboree in '01. I didn't see any signs of the "sticks in the mud" that bog down my car club. It seemed everybody was there to have a good time, which really makes for a great time. :icon_thumby:

The last number I heard which wasn't final was 770 registered cars, and registration wasn't over yet when that came out. Up 250+ from last year, not too bad for its 6th year.

I have more video I have to play with yet, I will post them when I get them but that pretty much catches the pics.

Last edited:

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 1970 Boss the farthest out is my Dad's. He took it up there from DeSoto, MO. He said he had a blast. He took it out on that scenic ride as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 1970 Boss the farthest out is my Dad's. He took it up there from DeSoto, MO. He said he had a blast. He took it out on that scenic ride as well.

Not really for sure why, I only took ended up with pics of the back of the car. It is a nice car though. :icon_thumby:

I am really hoping to go again next year, I would love to have my own car but I don't know if that is going to happen... :annoyed:

As near as I can make out from the windshield # this is the car that beat my brother. Not too bad to drive a two year old car 900 miles to get beat by a brand new car.

Not to split hairs but I don't think the rear window scoops are stock...

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the great pictures! Sad state when I never saw a mention before or after on the Roush or Allfordmustang sites, have to see them at a Ranger site. I had completly forgotten about the rally. I too would love to make it next year. Love to see how the Hills have changed since I was last out there. Lot of family history out there.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the great pictures! Sad state when I never saw a mention before or after on the Roush or Allfordmustang sites, have to see them at a Ranger site. I had completly forgotten about the rally. I too would love to make it next year. Love to see how the Hills have changed since I was last out there. Lot of family history out there.
Dave
I will try to be a little more on the ball next year for ya, only 49 weeks to go. :yahoo: (but who is counting :D)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If anyone is planning on going hotels are filling up. Just made our reservations yesterday and had to do it online because the rooms they can book from the counter are gone.

Their website is down (updated I suppose) but they did get the schedule up on their facebook page.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
T minus 2 weeks... :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well we made it up here, the Fun Run to the Badlands went great, Poker Run down Iron Mountain Road to Custer City went great, Show and Shine had an excellent turnout (I didn't see a single white hatchback Foxbody or dark blue Roush though :icon_twisted:) 1/8th mile dragracing was fun last night which ended with a fairly stock automatic 5.0 fox going against a pretty wild 05-09, at the end whoever won 3 out of 5 won the whole thing, the fox won the first one and the 05-09 took the next three. It was kinda neat (to me) to see that it doesn't take a multimillion dollar car to have a good time. I also caught a bit of autocross this morning.

This morning I predictably failed to win the new MRT car and only mustered a pair of queens which is unlikely to win me much for the poker run. I am just killing a little time in the hotel until our awards banquet tonight before we begin the not very exciting 9hr car ride back across South Dakota and down Iowa in the morning.

After getting second in our class last year we have our fingers crossed for a comeback tour, there were a couple cars in our stock class that shouldn't have been there (dress up kits/lowered/decals/stripes) so we hope the judges have the sense to count them out, a couple were not detailed very well if at all. Out of the 12 in our class I think about half were worthy adversaries, it will be interesting.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been fiting with the *#$^@* new and improved photobucket for a couple days and finally gave up and went another route. The stupid thing makes me log in everytime it changes a window and won't upload anything. :temper:

Anyway we got first this year in our class. :yahoo:

10-14 stock coupe, all the classes are going to be tough but not many are competing against brand spankin new cars with one that is 3 years old and 10k miles on it.

There was a car that was a clone of his there this year. Race red with the scoop and louver package. The union sticker was gone so we couldn't tell if it was original or not (it in the rear quarter window on normal cars, upper passenger side of the windshield if the louver package was applied at the factory) It also had the 19" dark wheels from the Brembo package but it didn't have the Brembo brakes, he tied for second.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Congrats on first place! I had sure wanted to go this year, even checked out the scheduled events. House got in the way - new roof, garage doors and patio door/patio window and a couple of other things. Ran thru a bunch of money real quick but house is 40 years old and needed it. Needs furnace also but ---------------
PhotoBucket does suck with the new version, hate it.
Dave - Deep Impact Blue Mustang

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Congrats on first place! I had sure wanted to go this year, even checked out the scheduled events. House got in the way - new roof, garage doors and patio door/patio window and a couple of other things. Ran thru a bunch of money real quick but house is 40 years old and needed it. Needs furnace also but ---------------
PhotoBucket does suck with the new version, hate it.
Dave - Deep Impact Blue Mustang
I hear you there, my household projects have really put a hitch in me getting my own car... even my Ranger hasn't got much love lately.

It really helps to have someone to carpool with to split lodging and fuel with. :D

They were talking about making it a big thing next year for the 50th anniversery. :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGx6Mhm8Flg

I have been doing a little video editing since we got back, this is the for fun race at the begining of the Poker Run. I think it was something like a 9.8 @ 80ish mph. Not too bad for the car and drivers second time ever down a dirty track. After a bunch of hooplah the other guy fouled (like we did last year) which I guess was a distraction (according to the driver anyway :rolleyes:) resulting in a shy 1 sec reaction time.

I know he got a third gear scratch but the mic didn't pick it up :D

It was in the 90's up there then, I heard on the news last night that 5 weeks later they were in a blizzard and Rapid City was supposed to get several feet of snow...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals