• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stupid question?

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
tomorrow morning I'm driving after two hours to pull a 98 explorers console for my 98 ranger. I've seen and studied your how to remove the console which was awesome but i just have one question it says remove the tissue box coin holder and i just want to make sure how too. does it just pull out is it screwed in or what plus the pictures of the console I'm going to pull the coin holder is under the arm rest with the cd holders. so do i have to take that out too and what holds that in? i just want to make sure i take all the right tools with me and don't want to run into no nasty surprises that far from home.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i don't know but i take a big bucket of tools with things i don't think i will need, just in case of an emergency.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Don't forget to grab the brackets too. Everything you can. You don't want to go back for seconds that far away.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
i don't know but i take a big bucket of tools with things i don't think i will need, just in case of an emergency.
lol ok thank you
Don't forget to grab the brackets too. Everything you can. You don't want to go back for seconds that far away.
ok will do thanks for the info

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are no stupid questions, they're just the easiest ones to answer :D
I didn't know you had this over here, I put a comment on your other thread about the console

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The tissue box thing just slides out the top, it's way dumber than it looks... I drove my explorer around for like a year before I realized it just came out... the info display thing just pops out if memory serves, shouldn't take too much to get the console out besides a few sockets and screwdriver bits.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
The tissue box thing just slides out the top, it's way dumber than it looks... I drove my explorer around for like a year before I realized it just came out... the info display thing just pops out if memory serves, shouldn't take too much to get the console out besides a few sockets and screwdriver bits.
thank you for the info on how the tissue box comes out and by chance do you know if you have to remove the coin and cd hold under the arm rest and if so how does it come out. iy doesnt have info display thing on this one

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just went out and looked, the coin part just pulls out. The CD part and inside of the arm rest area looks to have 4 screws probably 7mm hex (Ford likes those in random places). I'm pretty sure there's a couple of the 7mm screws into the cubby that is where the display would be at the top (been a while since I've looked at the parts Mountaineer I have). Too much junk in the center console to look too deep into the removal. Worst case you might need to pull the seats which should be 13mm head bolts.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
when you get the bolts out , get in the back seat close the lid reach over where the tissue box was with both hands grab both sides and pull back. there is a bracket riveted and adhesive to the floor ,take pics and measurements . that bracket holds the rear of the console in place. for that a drill and prybar for rivets and glue to break it loose.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thank you for the info on how the tissue box comes out and by chance do you know if you have to remove the coin and cd hold under the arm rest and if so how does it come out. iy doesnt have info display thing on this one
Do you have a motor manual for it? Those can be helpful when you have no place else to turn, sometimes you can find them at a yard sale

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals