• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Street sign skid plates

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if they are .080 aluminum blanks they should be fine for light stuff like brush and sand. The problem is that they gouge too easily for any serious use. I would use steel plate for skids because it is way harder and therefor slides much better across rocks. Even if you brace it enough to be strong it will still snagon stuff

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I personally only use 1/4" on my main stuff, but for the front clip where theres too much important stuff, I use 1/2" just to be safe. Still need to get my gas tank plated, I've waited too long for that o_O.
1/2" is excessive, should be reserved for heavy equipment lol. 1/4" bent and welded correctly will do all that you need it to. Thats just my opinion though.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just like to be on the safe side, and plus I have a bunch of 1/2" and 1/4" I need to use up. I'm probably going to plate the tank in 1/2" just cause I'm not a risk taker. I actually use the heavy stuff for armoring up. Lighter stuff like 1/8" I use for brush guards and such. I like to live by the saying "Better safe than sorry."

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1/2 is way overkill, as to the point that it wont do any good except make your truck a heavy pig...stick to the 1/4 it will do just fine

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cant imagine how heavy your truck would be with a full 1/2" gas tank skid. that would probably be over 100lbs

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A street sign isn't any thinner than a stock B2 fuel tank plate. Although that is in the rear and won't see the damage the front will.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I cant imagine how heavy your truck would be with a full 1/2" gas tank skid. that would probably be over 100lbs
1/4" plate is 10.25 lbs per square foot, meaning a gas tank skid plate would be around 61.5 lbs (18"x48" approx). And 1/2" would be around 123 lbs (20.5 lbs per square foot). Not even movable while laying on a creeper, you need a floor jack and a couple buddys. Not even safe for the stock skid plate straps to support (especially if they are rusty).

I agree with overkill is underrated, but there comes a point where it reverses the better safe than sorry motto to be against a person's benefit. Unless you are travelling at 5mph through a epic warzone with RPG's, IED's and AK's, there really is no need for 1/2" plating anywhere on an RBV (with the exception of custom motor mounts or winch bumper mounts).

This guy is gonna have a serious case of the "Ranger Lean" when he gets his plate on :icon_rofl: I want pics!

I'm not sure if you have ever used 1/2" on anything before, but just so you know its freeking heavy. But its your truck do what you want with it so you can sleep good at night.

(Last time I used 1/2" plate was when I helped weld a 6ft long bulldozer grader blade to the inside of my father's 10 ton backhoe's front clam shell bucket).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals