• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange problem with driver side wheel

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Happy Saturday TRS-
I ran into a strange issue yesterday morning. Going down a hill at about 3 miles an hour, when I applied the brake pedal one of my back tires locked up; when I released the pedal, it let go and rolled as normal. I also noticed that the truck doesn't exactly "roll" at stoplights as it should. I imagine I have a brake, or an emergency brake sticking. It just seems weird as the rears were replaced about 1.5 years ago. My ebrake really doesn't work well, so I hardly even try to use it. (just so it works enough to pass NYS Inspection) I noticed it is working VERY well today. Along with that, I noticed that the cable going into the back of the drum (driverside) of the wheel that is locking up, has some slack in it. I tried spraying some blaster on all the ebrake lines and where they go into the drums. I also sprayed the cables where they are exposed.

Anyone ever have an issue like this? I know I need to tear the drum apart but I can't find my BFH.
Thanks
Scott

Edit-
I forgot to mention that this tire ONLY locks when I'm at a very low speed, especially going down a hill. If I don't put a lot of pressure on the pedal it doesn't do it at all.
I feel like it's the shoes, but for some reason I also think it's the ebrake. Maybe it's both, it was just really random.

Also, this same tire was seized up after the truck sat for 6 months, but rocking it back and forth by hand freed it up.

Last edited:

Black2000Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well the hubs came off with two wacks with my BFH. Two rusty broken springs also decided to fall out. I don't have a diagram of the drum setup but I'm assuming at least one of these is linked with how the bottom half returns. Pads are staying out, not releasing. Got some springs, got some pads (even though the pads look brand new). I guess the stealership re used the old springs when they put the new shoes on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals