• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stone crusher steering system

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Bone doc any pics yet?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta tease me and bring back the stonecrusher thread back up.... Lol. Yeah letshear some updates

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I am amazed how simple that is compared to the superrunner steering kit for example. Im sure it could be made at home for about half the cost of the kit. Wish I had thought of this setup when I ran TTB.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I still think this setup is great. I looked into getting left handed taps and then the milling costs. Anthony's prices were fine. Hell the Superrunner kit can be replicated with factory bits for waaaayyyy less than the price of the kit. Here's a question, couldn't one use weld in bungs on a "Stonecrusher like" steering setup rather than drilling and tapping?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Weld in bungs and DOM tubing would be really easy. Buying left handed taps and such is just getting carried away in my opinion.

When I did my SAS steering, I used 7/8 Hiems, 3/4" hardware and 1 1/2 .250 DOM tubing. Just a little cutting and welding...pretty simple.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna make mine.. Can't be hard

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
We got any flex shots???

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Here's your flex shots.

Now, not to step on toes or spark a debate.................but tube and heims have been around a long time. The TTB suspension has also been around for quite some time. As we all know, the aftermarket does nothing to support it. I worked with Anthony to come up with the steering that he now sells. I know it is simple, yet very effective in coping with the steering problems that arise when lifting a TTB suspension. I'm also all for fabrication--it's what I do daily but there comes a time when I gotta step up and say---support those that support you. It's not like Anthony is planning his retirement off his steering systems. He does it in his one car, attached garage at his home. He does it because he loves to wheel and wants to offer a cheaper alternative to what's already out there.

I'm not knocking on anyone for making their own stuff, it's the American way. Every thread that has been put up about the SCS begins with how well it works and how cheap it is then turns to everyone saying how they can make it cheaper. Well all those people could have made it long ago but didn't. If you wanna make your own, go for it but remember to throw a little credit to Anthony and StoneCrusher Steering. After I posted pictures of the steering for the first time, I learned some had tried it before but were unsucessful so it's not like Anthony "created" it. He just made it work.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Oh I love the system. I just can't afford it right now...

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Dont get me wrong, im not trying to take anything from him. I think its a really nice setup and wish it was around when I still had TTB. Im sure there are alot of folks on here that will be adding this to thier lifted rigs.

Im just a guy who builds everything myself. Most of the time I havent reinvented the wheel, I just look at it and say...I can build that.

Overall, very nice and wish it was around a few years ago. Nice addition to the TTB world.

Add this to Copykats full width D44 TTB setup and it would be a smokin setup!!

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might fab something like this if I keep the TTB... But I also don't like heim joints in single shear.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
remember to throw a little credit to Anthony and StoneCrusher Steering. After I posted pictures of the steering for the first time, I learned some had tried it before but were unsucessful so it's not like Anthony "created" it. He just made it work.
anthony has my respect! he's a hero in my opinion. keep up the work on the TTB set up. and i understand what you are saying to. makes perfect sense. i'd much rather buy it. but unless it was like $200 shipped i cant do it right now. and i'd never try to lowball him like that. i know what kind of time it'll probably take and money he has to drop to do it. just my college takes all my money. maybe by the time i get to do my d35 swap i can just order it.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i noticed a difference in the two setup's here. ThatGuy has the heim coming down off the pitman, verses coming up off the pitman like the other setup.

i'd assume coming down off the pitman is the best way to do it, as long as the bolt head doesn't rub the other rod. correct??

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the delay, here are some pics of my stonecrusher kit installed. Finally figured out how to size them to upload. I agree with THAT GUY. I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who could fabricate what Anthony built but bottom line....haven't. For those of us who either don't have the fab skills or tools, we love to wheel and beat/use our trucks just as much and are perfectly happy and thankful to pay for a built piece.

Attachments

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i noticed a difference in the two setup's here. ThatGuy has the heim coming down off the pitman, verses coming up off the pitman like the other setup.

i'd assume coming down off the pitman is the best way to do it, as long as the bolt head doesn't rub the other rod. correct??

I never noticed this until you posted it. You are correct, the heim should be mounted to the bottom of the pitman arm. There is no way it can touch, the pictures are decieving because they don't show 3-D. The tie-rod actually runs behind the drag link and even at full lock, they aren't close to touching.

These aren't full lock pics but it kinda shows what I'm saying.

Also, just wanted to say thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to be a goober about anything but Anthony went out of his way to help me. I owe it to him to help support his product.
This isn't the absolute best steering setup out by no means. You'd need one of them high dollar swingset get ups to be close to perfect. It is however better than factory, easier to istall, and cheaper than the Superlift. I doubt you'd have to worry about the tube unless you are in some serious stuff and heims are cheap enough that you can keep a couple spares with you just in case you needed them. We have kicked around the idea of going with TREs but as many have found out, there is a great deal of machining that has to be done. Anthony doesn't have the necessary equipment to do it and sourcing the jobs increases the price to where no one would pay for it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals