• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sticky throttle

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
i really need some help!!!!!

So I discovered on the way home from work tonight that I have a sticky throttle, I checked the cable and lube it but it doesn't seem to be helping, any advice guys? She's an 01 3.0 5spd. i did some research and im finding out that a dirty IAC can cause the throttle to stick when the pedal has been released, i bought throttle body cleaner and was about to dive in and clean the throttle body and IAC when i noticed a sticker telling me not to clean or dissasemble due to a stop screw and a special plating on the throttle body plate and bore, what am i supposed to do, is it ok to take it apart and clean it or what? this is really starting to piss me off!!!!!!! :icon_confused:

Last edited:

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
maybe behind the pedal just needs a little squirt of wd40?

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
already lube the cable checked for binding checked the return spring on both the throttle body and pedal and everything is fine, i just got done cleaning the IAC so i will see what happens tomarrow when i go for a drive

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't be affraid to dissasemble the throttle body.
Put A LOT OF ATTENTION to such throttle stop screw and plate for this can be the issue. If one of those has signs of wear and tear You have to find a way to fix this. And if you're a gear head you will find a way to deal with this.
To me it is no big deal. But go ahead and clean the throttle body. Your city mileage will be greatly improve. Good luck.

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the inside of the throttle body is dirty/gunked up it will cause a sticky pedal. Clean the inside with carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
hope yours wasnt like mine, the throttleshaft wore a groove in the throttlebody and i have to manually go under the hood and push the throttle back closed...280k will do that i suppose...then again its not good that it hangs up beyond 60% throttle either. ill be going to an updated 2 piece intake w/ removable throttlebody when i go to rebuild in the future to take care of this problem. my 93 has the tb and upper plenum built together.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it was the IAC I ended up taking it off the throttle body and cleaning it out with cleaner cuz there was quite a bit of carbon buildup in there and it worked

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals