• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sticky Caliper

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Today my driver front brake caliper stuck after a stoplight. It freed up after a few snacks on the pedal and I was thankfully able to get home relying on planning my stops well in advance, downshifting, and a very light pedal touch. It looks to me like one of the pistons is sticking and the other is free. I see both new and reman calipers are available. Is it worth rebuilding the original calipers? I’ve never done it but I’m always up for learning, as long as it has a good chance of solving the problem. I see pistons and seal kits are available but if the piston sticks now wouldn’t it screw up the bore and require some machining to repair?

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
No reason not to at least take the caliper apart to see whats wrong. Often times just cleaning up the pins and fresh grease is all they need.

I rebuilt (resealed) the single piston calipers for the first time on my bronco and its super easy if you have an air compressor to pop the piston out.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When you buy calipers do they require a core? I can't recall if I traded any cores or not.
Seems rebuilding would be a great way to go, specially if you had the original set and wanted to keep those

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
When you buy calipers do they require a core? I can't recall if I traded any cores or not.
Seems rebuilding would be a great way to go, specially if you had the original set and wanted to keep those
I had to return my old ones to get the core charges back. That was with Napa in Canada. I think the core charge on them both was around 25 or 35 bucks.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Yeah there’s a core. These are likely original and I’d like to keep them if possible. Good point, maybe worth it to at least dog on and see what’s wrong. Nothing to lose there.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve never rebuilt a caliper but I’ve been told it is easy to do. If the fluid has been kept up with regular system bleeds, the caliper should be in good shape and just need a rebuild.

Of course, swapping out the caliper for a rebuilt or new one would be more convenient but it is a chance to learn something, if nothing else to open the old one up and see what you have. They are going to have to tear it apart for the rebuild anyway.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder if you took it back in pieces what they'd do :D

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if you took it back in pieces what they'd do :D
At Napa they said all that matters is if they get the main core unit back. And it gets sent off to the remanufacturer/distributor. The new ones I got had all new everything except the main cast steel part. Even the piston is new

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Rebuild kits are $10 or less but a reman caliper is only maybe $30-40. What's your time worth - I've rebuilt a few calipers and a bunch of wheel cylinders, usually I just buy new though. Problem with rebuilding calipers is they often need a hone run through them and it's hard to find one that is big enough to fit but doesn't hit the other side of the caliper. Then you have the expense of a hone, and brake cleaner to flush them out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals