• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering wheel/column shake

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a problem with my 89 Ranger that has been driving me nuts for a while. I get a really bad shake in the steering wheel when hitting bumps or pot holes. The entire column and dash shake as well. Pot holes/ manhole covers really disturb the truck as well, sometimes making the truck hop to the side. The 'hit' is very harsh and violent. It also has a little vibration throughout the entire truck at speed. Over smooth roads it's great. Over dips it's fine, you can feel the suspension soak it up.

It has new Bilstein shocks all around, new radius arm bushings, poly I-beam bushings, new wheel bearings, new rotors, and a good alignment. I've had the tires balanced and rotate with no change. Springs are stock all the way around. The driveshaft has new U-joints and had been balanced.

I'm wondering if it is a tire related problem. The tires are Nitto NT555s I've never used this tire before, so I am wondering if it is something to do with the tire design. Still, I don't think the column/steering wheel should be moving around that much. It's just unsafe. The steering wheel seems to vibrate/shake up and down around an 1 inch or so on washboard roads. On the freeway when I know its going to be rough, I have to hold onto the wheel with 2 hands just to keep control of the truck.

How does the steering column mount to the truck? It's almost like the column is loose.

Last edited:

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Have you Checked your ball joints?

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Likely the ball joints, and/or possibly the steering gear is worn. Check for a leak at the pittman arm seal, too. The loose steering wheel could be a worn rag joint.

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Likely the ball joints, and/or possibly the steering gear is worn. Check for a leak at the pittman arm seal, too. The loose steering wheel could be a worn rag joint.
it's not loose as in play in the steering wheel left to right. The whole wheel/column assembly, and for the most part the dash, shakes up and down.

1987rangerxlt

Reaction score
I attempted to get the hoses that were sold to me replaced since they weren't exactly matching the old ones but the dealership said they've been discontinued. I'll have to make due with the ones from the parts store.

Can I safely bend the new hoses so they don't get crushed when in use?

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Do you have any unusual tire wear. Perhaps the bands on the tire(s) are seperating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals