• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Shaking/Loose

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Lately the steering wheel has been very shaky and loose. The truck also moves to the left very badly (probably alignment?). But after I make a turn, the steering wheel does not return to the correct position smoothly, instead it does it in 'jerks'. There's been plenty of new potholes around here because of the snow plows, and I've hit more then enough of them I think to cause an alignment issue, but could there be other factors involved, such as ball joints or tie rods? I've never had anything on the front end re-done, since the truck only has 55,000 miles (owned it since 48,000). It's a 99 XLT 4.0

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
Pot holes won't cause any alignment problems unless they are extremely deep and you are constantly hitting them, I would ckeck your power steering fluid and make sure its full for starters

se7en

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245 ci
Transmission
Automatic
if I was you I would check the tie rods. get it up on a frame lift and see if the tie rods have play. I had the problem and it turned out to be the inner tie rods after I inspected it. Big tires are hard on stock steering components. mine ran me 50 bucks for both sides from autozone. I was recently told to upgrade to Moog tie rods so you might want to look into that.

Kenny992wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have pretty much the same problem with my truck.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
check you rack make sure its still tight to the frame.

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just figured I'd post up and tell everyone how this is going. PS Fluid is topped off, no leaks in that system. Tie rods are in shape, as well as all the bearings. Found out the real problem for all the shaking... A belt got busted in my tire. There's a nice arched bump that's been causing all of this, thank god I caught it before it exploded on me. Truck has about 60,000 miles so I guess it makes sense that it would need new tires anyway. Oh well, wasn't really planning on doing tires right now, but I guess it's time to go up a size in tires :icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals