• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

steering and upgrades

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
90 Ranger XLT 4X4 with 4.0 L V-6. 100K on it and everything is bone stock and original.

I read a review on this truck and it talked about how the steering was a bit mushy and slow, and I have noticed this. My other veh is a Dodge Magnum R/T and it handles pretty quickly compared to the Ranger. Just wondering if there is something to do to the Ranger to make the steering better or is this something I just need to get used to?

The suspension, including the shocks, as far as I know are 18 years old and completely stock. How good were the stock shocks? Haven't done much off-roading yet, and the suspension feels pretty stiff on the highway, so don't know if I need to upgrade the shocks or not, or if this would help the wallowing?

Will a steering stabilizer help?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
replacing aged components will always help, if all the suspension is original i would start there, and a steering stabilizer always helps. the reasoning for the steering bein "mushy" is the pump that ford used for the power steering, if u can run a upgraded pump it will make for a much smoother and more responsive steering system.

there was a thread somewhere here about someone that upgraded there steering pump, and the practice can be done for most other rangers aswell

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You're comparing an 18 year old RCB steering setup to a few year old R&P setup. You're not going to get the quickness or the 'tight' feel of rack and pinion with an RCB setup. The only improvement you can really do is to replace any wornout parts on your Ranger. This won't make it feel like your Magnum, but it may tighten it up a little. IMO the steering setup in those Magnums is pretty darn nice.

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You're comparing an 18 year old RCB steering setup to a few year old R&P setup. You're not going to get the quickness or the 'tight' feel of rack and pinion with an RCB setup. The only improvement you can really do is to replace any wornout parts on your Ranger. This won't make it feel like your Magnum, but it may tighten it up a little. IMO the steering setup in those Magnums is pretty darn nice.

I realize the steering on a low riding new Magnum will never be duplicated by a stock 18 year old 4X4 truck, but was just stating that is what I'm used to and was wondering if there had been a fix for this as it appeared to be a problem with the truck. It's just a weird feeling driving down the road and the steering is mushy. As far as I can tell everything is pretty tight on the steering and suspension. I just replaced the power steering lines, so that's new. As I go along I will replace more and more, I'm sure, just not enough $ to do everything I'd like.
Dan'o :}

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as nothing is worn out in the steering or suspension, there is nothing you can do to make it feel any different. The only component that will get rid of the 'mushy' feeling (if nothing is worn out) would be the actual steering gear itself and to a slight extent the pump. The valving in the steering gear is what gives the steernig ratio (quickness), the on-center feel and the amount of assist. The mushy feeling is caused by the valving that Ford chose for the truck. It sucks but there isn't much you can do about it.

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
As long as nothing is worn out in the steering or suspension, there is nothing you can do to make it feel any different. The only component that will get rid of the 'mushy' feeling (if nothing is worn out) would be the actual steering gear itself and to a slight extent the pump. The valving in the steering gear is what gives the steernig ratio (quickness), the on-center feel and the amount of assist. The mushy feeling is caused by the valving that Ford chose for the truck. It sucks but there isn't much you can do about it.
Well, it's nothing I can't get used to I guess. I didn't think there was a quick, easy, and cheap fix for it, but I could hope. If I was racing and stuff I'd worry about it, but as I'm just playing I'll just make sure I'm aware of it and go from there.

Thanks for the info.

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I couldn't give you a quick and simple fix. I really wish there was one. I'm not really sure what (or even if) Ford was thinking when they approved that gear, it's abolutely terrible.

It probably bothers me a lot more than it bothers you. I work for an OEM steering supplier, so I'm very critical of the steering characteristics of a vehicle. I find myself evaluating the steering on any car I drive, I just can't get away from it!:rolleyes:

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I couldn't give you a quick and simple fix. I really wish there was one. I'm not really sure what (or even if) Ford was thinking when they approved that gear, it's abolutely terrible.

It probably bothers me a lot more than it bothers you. I work for an OEM steering supplier, so I'm very critical of the steering characteristics of a vehicle. I find myself evaluating the steering on any car I drive, I just can't get away from it!:rolleyes:
Not a problem. I've always been a Dodge/Plymouth guy, and my father-in-law was a Ford guy, so we always used to tease each other, so I guess this just justifys my beliefs a little more (LOL).:scare::taunt:

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not a problem. I've always been a Dodge/Plymouth guy, and my father-in-law was a Ford guy, so we always used to tease each other, so I guess this just justifys my beliefs a little more (LOL).:scare::taunt:
Haha. I'm a huge Mopar guy, my daily driver/tow rig is a '97 Ram and I love that thing. It just happens I keep ending up with Ranger's, but I do love them even with all their quirks.

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Haha. I'm a huge Mopar guy, my daily driver/tow rig is a '97 Ram and I love that thing. It just happens I keep ending up with Ranger's, but I do love them even with all their quirks.
I went to elementary school with Dick Landy's kid, so was kind of raised on Mopars. Grandparents and parents drove Mopar, the military used Mopar, and my job used Mopar, so it was inevitable. When I was a kid my neighbors worked for the Chevy plant, so in my neck of the woods it was Mopar or Chevy. I like my little Ford though, so guess I'm a convertin :icon_surprised:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The TTB style suspension , even when new , has always been called vague at best. As long as everything is in good working order, it is what it is.

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The TTB style suspension , even when new , has always been called vague at best. As long as everything is in good working order, it is what it is.
OK, sounds good for now. I can see my buds bugging me to do an SAS in the future.(LOL)

Since I'm planning on taking it slow, it should be good enough for now.

Thanks for the info.
Dan'o ;}

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I should clarify my statement about TTB suspensions. I like the TTB, it works well when set up properly, just the steering "feel" is vague at best.

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a way to check if the ball joints are worn out?
I know on the shocks for cars it's bounce the car and it's supposed to bounce 1 1/2 times, but not sure on the truck. I imagine the shocks are the stockers and as such are 18 years old. I'll probably upgrade them after my first off-road trek (LOL)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
I have the same problem with my 94. Our fam. also has a 2000 Dakota with unbelievable steering. Handles like a car

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals