• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Staked Spindle Nut Removal

harriw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey folks,

Wife's Toyota Sienna (I know, sorry...) needs new rear bearings (sealed hub assemblies $$$$). Should be fairly straight forward, but it's the AWD version so it's got axle stubs going through them with staked nuts on them. Never had to deal with these before.

As I understand it, the nuts are made fairly soft so that they can be staked/unstaked. Are they soft enough that I can just throw my impact gun on them and let the axle shaft shred/flatten out the staked portion while removing it? Or is there a risk of buggerin' up the threads of the axle shaft by doing this? I have read posts cautioning against doing this (I think they were more against tightening the new nuts with an impact than removing the old) for fear of damaging the bearings, but I'm replacing the bearings anyway. I already have brand new nuts as well, by the way so no worries there (**insert your own punchline here**).

If I go the "tyipcal" route of unstaking with punches, chisels. screw drivers, etc., do I need to worry about damaging the inside threads of the nut in the staked portion? Or again, is the axle that much harder than the nut that it's not an issue?

I'll probably give the local 'yota dealer a call and ask them as well (they've been pretty good about looking up torque specs and such in the past), but thought I'd ask you guys too.

(by the way, I seem to be having typing issues tonight. My appologies if I missed any typos).

Thanks a lot guys!

USMCFords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2, Bronc
Engine Size
2.9, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Throw your impact on and let her rip.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yup, give'r bullets with the impact. They will come right off.

Technically you are supposed to replace the nuts every time you take them off, but if you zip it back on and the previously staked part of the nut doesn't line up with the groove, just punch it with the chisel and call it good.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can also throw a thin chisel down in there, tap it a few times, and it unstakes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals