• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squirrel get Superlift

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got a Superlift for a decent price, so this is semi build thread for my '98 s/c.

I, of course, do things backwards and installed the rear lift first. And I saw the picture from 4wheeler.com where the bump stop was over the lift block, so that's how I installed (who reads instructions anyways..)

Then I went to install the new lowered bump stops and had some choice words.

Bump stops are back where they belong... (At least I noticed the print on the lift blocks and installed them right side up and correct side forward).

Shocks installation was PIA to get the bushing to start over the stud for the rear one, but eventually it gave in (sanded rust/old rubber off stud & little dish soap).

Front is still under construction.

I was too cheap to get the torsion key tools, but I knew from doing the ball joints on my Explorer than once you have the knuckle/shock/swaybar/ball joint free the tension is off the key and it can be removed. So, again I didn't follow instructions to the letter.

Reason front isn't finished is; when I pull the passenger side apart, there was grease all over the shock. Sure enough, ripped CV boot - so, I lost time tracking down some place open on long weekend with the part. Then I ran out of daylight.

Tomorrow, I will lower the front differential and then see if I can figure out how to repair the CV boot without removing the axle.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Progress report is rather depressing.

When I tried to remove the existing bracket from the front differential, 2 of the bolts broke. More choice adjectives.

Well, I had the Explorer differential from the 5.0 upgrade, problem is it has 3.73 gears while the Ranger has 4.10s. But it has to go in as I need a running truck on Tuesday. So, the front driveshaft won't be connected until I get the gears swapped from one pumpkin to the other.

I wanted to do the double cardan front driveshaft and Torsen front differential; I just wanted to do them on my time. (email sent to Torsen to see if they really did the mfg run this summer).

Passenger bump stop with its lowering bracket, the axle locator, 120mm bolt was kind of pain to get all 4 pieces to line up. why didn't they combine the lowering bracket and the axle locator? Would have saved them a piece and made installation a whole lot easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals