• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sport track 8.8 axle tube issue

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This was at my buddies shop guy was driving down the road and heard a bang. The rear he got to throw in doesn't look to far off from doing the same thing. Seems like they are developing a dimple inside of the u bolt.
20240312_152023.jpg

20240312_152033.jpg

20240312_152047.jpg

20240312_152516.jpg

20240312_152533.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's not just a Sport Trac issue, this really applies to any Explorer... or anything with leaf springs... especially sprung under I think. It's hard to wash under there and people don't wash their cars very well anyway. The 8.8 that I put in my stepside truck had about 1/8" gone where the bolts were at, I was able to fill it in with a welder and carry on with life.

IMO the problem with sprung under is salt builds up between the tube and U bolt and slowly eats down which rust jacks out material and can make the bolt vibrate against the tube, wearing it even further. Not so much a problem with sprung over because salt & dirt are less likely to accumulate there and it's a bit easier to wash off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals