• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spoke with an Idiot today....

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Has nothing to do with craigslist but I've had a similar problem with my local ford repair shop several years ago, luckily they went out of business...can't imagine why after my dealings with them.

Me: Hi, I need an electric choke assembly for a 1984 Ford Ranger 4x2, automatic, with air conditioning.

Service Tech: Your ranger came with 4WD and a 5 speed manual transmission.

Me: Umm, it was bought at Suburban Ford in 1984 and came from the factory with 2WD, and an automatic transmission.

Service Tech: That's impossible.

Me: Nevermind I will go to another store to get parts from someone who has more ford experience than a mechanic that supposedly is factory trained.

I never went back to that repair shop, not too long after I heard they were going out of business. Can't imagine why that would have happened. What a bunch of dumb people.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Yup, there's some real strange ones out there.....

My dad had a set of 33" BFG tires in nearly new condition he listed on there for like $450. He had at least a half a dozen people offer him $150 for all four.....

Cranking his T-bars and bolting (2000 4x4 Ranger) them up is currently on the menu..... why let them go to waste, right?
Yep, crank them right up and stick em under.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I loooooov it whe you sell something and the bastards try to haggle over email or over phone with out seeing it in person......I don't budge till it is in person.....and I do not hold stuff. First one to physically touch item wins

Sent from my SX-SP715A using Tapatalk 2

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I loooooov it whe you sell something and the bastards try to haggle over email or over phone with out seeing it in person......I don't budge till it is in person.....and I do not hold stuff. First one to physically touch item wins

Should be an edit first one to physically show up with cash in hand wins. People who are "looking" is of no help LOL. I sold my 84 Ford Ranger for $700 it was in near mint condition even for being over 20 years old at the time the paint still would shine when washed. Sold it not knowing back then about the duraspark conversion to get rid of the computer that had went haywire. The guy who bought it was trying to haggle the price down more because the a/c didn't work, I flat out told the guy that at $700 he was getting the truck for about 1/2 blue book price so I didn't want to hear anything more about something not working. He drove it home 40 miles away without any problems, now I wish I had it back. :(

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I actually had two, not one, but two great experiences selling stuff on Craigslist today. last weekend I put several items from when my son was a newborn back in 2011 on CL. A Medela Freestyle breast pump (damn near 300 bucks new) and a high end two way swing that had a starlight mobile and music/ sounds were among them. I recieved two nibbles on the swing on Tuesday, one saying they would come and get it on thursday, which I said is fine if I still hadn't sold it. (like MrE Powers, I don't hold stuff) Both haggled a little bit on the price, but not too bad, both showed up when they said they would, looked at the goods, gave me the cash and everyone was happy.

I have also had good luck selling a car and living room furniture as well. I have had my share of scammers and other useless wastes of oxygen especially when selling the car, but I have learned how to weed them out fairly quick.

I have noticed that my email does tend to get more spam as soon as I posted up the ads, so I do wonder if email addresses are not trickling out of CL somehow. But I do not use my regular email address when using CL, I have an alternate email that if I have to I can just let it go.

AJ

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Ya'll know you can hide your e-mail on Craigslist right? Takes care of most of the spam. (Some still manages to show up..)

I actually just recently had a guy call me from Florida about a minibike I had posted. He found a trucking run from there to Bowling Green, KY to be closer to buy the bike.

BTW: Truck stops are great places to sell minibikes. Apparently truckers hate having to walk from the truck to building.

Last edited:

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
every time I try to sell something on craigslist, I always get some moron offering 1/2 my asking price..... was selling a car for $850 a few months back and got calls or emails from people offering $400-500.... or people would call and say they were on their way and never showed.... I do not have people come to my house... I meet them in a public place... also been trying to sell a barely used snap-on 1/2" impact gun... was only asking $75 and right off the bat I get some joker offer $30.... then theres been stuff I had been trying to sell awhile , so I put it up for free just to get rid of it and the phone rings off the hook..... been trying to get rid of the bedliner that came in my truck when I got it, but it seems nobody wants it

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

I hate when people do that on CL. First person here with the money wins. I usually tell the person to stick it in their ear then. With gas at $3.59 a gallon, I'm not racing off in hopes that I'll be the first person there, especially when a lot of stuff ends up being a half an hour or better away from me. I'd be mad as hell if I got there to find the neighbor from two doors down beat me to it (which has happened.... twice).

I will hold something for a reasonable amount of time. If you tell me you're on your way and you'll be here in an hour. I'll hold it for an hour. As long as I don't have someone beating down my door I'll often be generous and hold it a lil longer. If you say you can come on the weekend, I may or may not offer to hold it depending on the response I get. A deposit will help hold the item though.

I did have one strange one happen once. Guy called about a lawn tractor that I was selling. Showed up, gave it a brief look, declined the offer to test it out, asked if I would deliver it (told him for extra $$$). He looks at it, asks my price again, counts out the money, gives me his address and leaves. I'm standing there holding $650 in cash watching him fly off down the road wondering how honest I should be..... lol. For the record I did drop off the tractor.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard that "CL is for buying, not selling" but I've had mixed results on both, but mostly good. What gripes my arse is someone advertising a part that I need, like a rear diff, and two or three texts into the contact you realize you're dealing with a kid who doesn't want to take the time to answer questions or even meet you somewhere even if you have cash in hand...guess those types are testing the waters to see if their price is good.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
i had a slightly lifted explorer i was selling on our local classifieds (ksl.com/classifieds) a guy calls me

him-"i'm calling about your jeep"

me-"I sold that a year ago"

him-"your ad is only 2 days old"

me-"oh, you mean my ford?"

him-"its a jeep"

me-"its a ford explorer...."

him-"yeah, your jeep"

after a minute of at first thinking I may have accidentally attached a picture file from the same folder of my old '97 jeep, I finally figured out, that this dude believed if it was a 4wd, with any lift, or tires at all it was called a "jeep" used for "jeeping"

and according to him I was wrong when I tried to clarify (in the interest of not mis-representing what I was selling) "this is not a JEEP, this is a ford explorer"

to him it meant the same thing *sigh
I had a 99 Cherokee for a few years, so of course I began to notice I was about the only MALE around who owned one, but the fact I kept taking flack for owning a "mall crusier" didn't bug me as much as how many Blazer's and stuff I'd notice with "JEEP GIRL" stickers ans shit... I was about to get a decal that said "4WD Does Not a Jeep Make; If it's Not From Toledo, It's a FAKE!"..... but it'd probably pissed off the Patriot and Compas owners, no matter how much I'd try to explain that they had boxy Dodge Calibres.. :icon_twisted:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic

I stopped allowing my email to be present and put on the ads will not respond to text messages. I find if the only way to contact you is to actually pick up the phone and call it eliminates all the kids and bargain hunters.

The worst part about craigslist is the few decent people that put something up for sale and the price is already a great buy still get hassled when in reality is it even worth hassling when you know you will never find another deal as good as the one offered? Stupid people though. I tell people straight out my price is not an asking price and I dont care if you buy it or not. I get people all the time who realize im not kidding and they know what a deal it is so they dont bother me and buy it. Ive had a lot of people pull the well ive only got $140.00 when the price is $150.00. I tell them well then why did you take the trip if you cant afford it and send them on their way. Most somehow find the extra cash and buy it. I live a good deal in the country so that alone weeds out most of the garbage people.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
i had a slightly lifted explorer i was selling on our local classifieds (ksl.com/classifieds) a guy calls me

him-"i'm calling about your jeep"

me-"I sold that a year ago"

him-"your ad is only 2 days old"

me-"oh, you mean my ford?"

him-"its a jeep"

me-"its a ford explorer...."

him-"yeah, your jeep"

after a minute of at first thinking I may have accidentally attached a picture file from the same folder of my old '97 jeep, I finally figured out, that this dude believed if it was a 4wd, with any lift, or tires at all it was called a "jeep" used for "jeeping"

and according to him I was wrong when I tried to clarify (in the interest of not mis-representing what I was selling) "this is not a JEEP, this is a ford explorer"

to him it meant the same thing *sigh
There was a guy on there a couple years ago selling a "T5" for a Fox Body Mustang. His pictures were of a TR-3650, which came in the 01-04 Mustang.

So I emailed the Dude and kindly told him his photos didn't match his description. He told me that I was wrong, and I had no idea what I was talking about. Pretty funny stuff.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
it has been tainted by years of people listing prices that are too high, and then are haggled with to get the price to a more reasonable price.

this then caused people to haggle a lot more over anything, and therefore caused sellers to deliberately list high so that the buyer can "haggle" the price down to where the seller actually wanted to sell it for in the first place

after years of that, it has basically caused people to look at any price on the classifieds as the seller deliberately listing high to then haggle to his real price, which is then the price the buyer feels they need to haggle from

its b.s. for those of us who don't want to play games. (either as a buyer or seller) no matter how good of a price you list something for, they come it at half. and no matter how hammered, and trashed something is, they are asking double

I was selling a dewalt electric impact NEW IN SEALED BOXfor $30.00 just to be rid of it, my email, and text inbox was filled with people offering $10-$20. I pulled it off, waited a few days, re-listed it for $60.00, was then offered $30.00 and sold it to the first person who came.......I hate being forced to play games like that

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
There was a guy on there a couple years ago selling a "T5" for a Fox Body Mustang. His pictures were of a TR-3650, which came in the 01-04 Mustang.

So I emailed the Dude and kindly told him his photos didn't match his description. He told me that I was wrong, and I had no idea what I was talking about. Pretty funny stuff.
OH MY GOSH< THAT JUST REMINDED ME OF A WORSE ONE FROM A LONG TIME AGO, I needed a T-5 for my 1984 Camaro, about 15 years ago. a junkyard had one, it was fairly dark at the time I bought it, loaded it up, took it home. I looked at it in the back of my truck

it was a T5 alright.......a T-5 from a ford! even had ford logos on the reverse light connector. I called him back he told me I was wrong and that he "pulled it from a Camaro" himself........ I took it back, and he showed me the car. it was some fox body mustang. and like my explorer guy, he seemed to think that any '80s American muscle car was a "Camaro" :icon_rofl: and he was a freaking junkyard!

luckily I got my money back

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OH MY GOSH< THAT JUST REMINDED ME OF A WORSE ONE FROM A LONG TIME AGO, I needed a T-5 for my 1984 Camaro, about 15 years ago. a junkyard had one, it was fairly dark at the time I bought it, loaded it up, took it home. I looked at it in the back of my truck

it was a T5 alright.......a T-5 from a ford! even had ford logos on the reverse light connector. I called him back he told me I was wrong and that he "pulled it from a Camaro" himself........ I took it back, and he showed me the car. it was some fox body mustang. and like my explorer guy, he seemed to think that any '80s American muscle car was a "Camaro" :icon_rofl: and he was a freaking junkyard!

luckily I got my money back
Oh dear, that's not ok lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals