• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spindles and bearings

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the process of rebuilding spindle and hub bearings from either an F-150 or FSB. The problem is the new Timken bearings won't slide onto the spindle. The old bearings do, snugly, but the new bearings are getting hung up and just won't go on. I did a light clean up with emory cloth but still no joy. The old and new bearings have the same part #'s on the bearing, JBG sells them as type 37 inners. The new type 45's, outers, do fit correctly. Suggestions?? :icon_confused:

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
What was it?

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got a little time so I took the spindle, old Timkin bearing and the new Timkin bearing into my local NAPA to show them to a really saavy parts dude. He futzed with it a bit then, all of a sudden, the new bearing "clicked" onto the spindle. He pulled it back off and repeated the futzing until the bearing clicked on again. Note, when removing the bearing, it just slid off, no problem! Success!! I took my prizes home and repeated the process using a large, long, socket, YAY!! I then turned my new rotor and hub over, installed the bearing with a little grease to hold it in place. I installed the spindle and with two light taps from my 32 oz ball peen hammer, another seating!! I then sat the hub and rotor right side up and slid it over the spindle. Now with the weight of the hub and rotor to help it took just one light tap and the unit seated.

Sooo, it appears the Timkin bearing will seat as it appears there is some sort of friction fit but not a press fit.

We also tried the SK brand bearings, the NAPA brand bearing and two chinese version of the bearing and got them all to fit with a bit of persuasion as well.

This is the fifth conversion I've done but have never had a bearing issue like this one. This is also the newest spindle/knuckle unit I've used as well, a '92. The rest were all '80 to '86.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals