• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedo Not Working!

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a MT (M5R1) swap on my 96 Mazda B4000 4x4. Transmission was from a 95 B4000 4x4, I have a 1996 MT ECU swapped in, as well as a MT Transmission harness. The speedometer does NOT work though, nor does the odometer. Both VSS's are new and tested good. Gauge cluster is new as well. Checked fuses, and continuity. What else could be the problem?
Any tests that could help me track down the problem? I really need this speedo working ASAP for emissions testing! :sad:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think your year has a GEM, Generic Electronic Module, it is used for the speedo as well as other electric controls, this is a programmable module, where the transmission, tire sze and gearing are entered to get a correct speedo reading.

Not sure of any test to confirm it is working, it's location should be behind the radio, either slightly to the left or right of center.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Pretty please , Ron , tell me the 94 Rat doesnt have this modern stuff :D

The truck runs so freaken good , I just know some old Ford thing will rear its head.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, your speedo gets power from fuse 25 of the interior fuse panel, and gets a variable reluctance signal on the ground side through the VSS.

I would unplug the cluster, and hook up a volt meter, preferably analog for this, to pin 4 white/yellow on the positive and pin 12 gray/black on the ground, jack up the rear, and run it. See what the needle does. If it varies proportionally to your speed you have a cluster issue.

Andy, have no fears. 1994 was the last year of the cable driven speedometer in the Ranger.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, your speedo gets power from fuse 25 of the interior fuse panel, and gets a variable reluctance signal on the ground side through the VSS.

I would unplug the cluster, and hook up a volt meter, preferably analog for this, to pin 4 white/yellow on the positive and pin 12 gray/black on the ground, jack up the rear, and run it. See what the needle does. If it varies proportionally to your speed you have a cluster issue.

Andy, have no fears. 1994 was the last year of the cable driven speedometer in the Ranger.
No voltage at all!

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The M5R1 is from a 1995 Mazda B4000 4x4
Transmission Harness came off a 1995 Ford Ranger 4x4 MT

And the PCM is off a 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L MT (F57F-12A650-DAC)
Could the problem be the PCM not being compatible with something? Like my GEM for example?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals