• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spark plugs

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
just went to autozone and advance auto and they both told me that my 03 ranger 4.0 4x4 uses iridium spark plugs they r 8 dollars a piece is this BS or is it true

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
check your manual and see what it says

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
ok and have you ever heard of a AIT sensor and if so where is it at

98 ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is a IAT sensor in you intake tube.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
These ones!

just went to autozone and advance auto and they both told me that my 03 ranger 4.0 4x4 uses iridium spark plugs they r 8 dollars a piece is this BS or is it true
Your engine takes the motorcraft AGSF34FP... This has been renamed by motorcraft to SP-440.. You may find that plug with either or both markings on it.
That is by far the plug of choice for your engine.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Iridium is expensive. its highly resistant to electrical wear. Or any wear for that matter.

Since its a rare element on earth that makes it expensive as well.

If I remember it correctly its the second hardest metal known to man. with osmium being the hardest. this makes it rather hard to work with also adding to the cost.

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info guys but auto zone only has the iridium plugs for my truck so i think i am going to try somewhere else

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Try the dealer man, they are the ones spec'd and recommended for our truck. Made by Honeywell who also make Autolites the Motorcraft plugs are great plugs at a reasonable price. Plus they are usually just change and go on most Ford applications, gapping be gone!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PLEASE check the gap in the new plugs before installing them!! I have NEVER found a new set of plugs that were already gapped correctly!!
A properly gapped set of new SP-440 Mororcraft plugs will last over 100,000 miles.
Big JIm

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
OK. I work at Advance and looked this up. The reason they are recommending Iridium is the benefits it offers. Iridium will last the longest BUT the OE plug is Platinum. Motorcraft's plug recommendation is #SP498 and cost $4.69 each. There is a nickel plug also #SP412 at $3.49 each but it's below recommended specs. It will work fine but will wear much faster than platinum or iridium and if you have never changed plugs in a 4.0 then woohoo!

Next time you go in ask for the Commercial Pro. They will have the most knowledge and will give you answers and good recommendations for parts. I'm that person at my store and have been in parts for 25 years.

The reason most parts stores offer parts that may be more expensive is the OE companies send their parts info to the catalog programmers many times per year to update what they want you to sell. Motorcraft probably has updated your plug recommendation a few times since 03.

Another good idea is go to the branded web sites and see what that brand is wanting you to use. Get your own part number then go get the part. For Ford go to http://www.fordparts.com . They will show you the latest update on what to use in your truck.

Hope this helps.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i bought and tried the Iridium plugs and my truck absolutely LOVES them.
who cares about the price really when your doing this how often?? find something you like and go with it.

Someone else said it earlier but it cannot be said enough...... remember to gap them! no matter what the brand.

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
well i now have a new issue i replaced plugs and wires but now it is spitting and sputtering and its not throughing codes i can not figure out what is going on i went over the fireing order to make sure i didnt mess that up and its still not acting right this has been bothing me all day

i cleaned the maf

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A few things to consider

well i now have a new issue i replaced plugs and wires but now it is spitting and sputtering and its not throughing codes i can not figure out what is going on i went over the fireing order to make sure i didnt mess that up and its still not acting right this has been bothing me all day

i cleaned the maf
1. Almost always this is a result of crossed wires.. Get a new face to inspect your work while you hide in the weeds. DON'T give advice!
2. Sometimes it is a result of a cracked plug...done by accident when installing.
3. Rarely it is a result of the electrode being jammed shut while installing, but it is known to happen.
4. Once in a while the installer will inadvertantly brush against another sender or vac hose and seperate it.. causing a bad result. Or even unplug something and forget to reinstall before finishing.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
had someone else look over all my work and they said catalitic converter so i drove it around and yep thats it, it was glowing red and had a weird smell so now trying to figure out what to do about that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals