• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spare Tire Mount Fix/Improvement

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Like I said, if you have a stock tire size it will fit under the bed. As far as I was told a 31 inch tire will fit under there. On my 83 Ranger the stock spare was mounted under the bed. I just can't remember how the mount looked. I modified it when I put the lift and 33x12.5 tires on it and I can't find any pictures of under the bed to remember. You don't have to use the crank of course. How was your spare mounted from the factory? Do you remember? If your truck never came with the crank system (my 99 Ranger has it) I don't know if you can add one then. I will ask around to some of my 4x4 shop guys and see if they can help out for you, Bro.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I remember my 88 had a sort of basket, or bar that the tire sat on and it dropped down. Is that what you have?

I snapped a couple pictures of the winch type mount on my 99

I see 3 rivets in each corner, but I don't see why it couldn't be mounted on an older truck.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
I remember my 88 had a sort of basket, or bar that the tire sat on and it dropped down. Is that what you have?

I snapped a couple pictures of the winch type mount on my 99

I see 3 rivets in each corner, but I don't see why it couldn't be mounted on an older truck.
Yeah his truck has the baket setup
We used to secure the tire on the 93s basket with this:

I wonder if a 30" will fit on under my 99.
i had a 235/75 for a while under there :dunno:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
A 30 should fit under your truck RSH, should be pretty close to 235/75s in size. I think my 91 Explorer had a winch up spare and I was able to squeeze a 31 under there.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
A 30 should fit under your truck RSH, should be pretty close to 235/75s in size. I think my 91 Explorer had a winch up spare and I was able to squeeze a 31 under there.
Cool.
i got that 235/75 on the rim the truck was missing- got the rim at a jy and it came with the tire. i mounted it on the spare and got the rim on a 225/70
I then switched to a 225/70 spare because i had 225/70s all around.
i havent had to use the spare with the 31s, but i know it wont be nice to drive with 3 31s and a 225/70 lol
i have an old 30 that has good thread for be used as a spare.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, Bro. I had to remember what my 83 Ranger and my 92 Ranger had. I remembered there was a bar that was attached to the frame the tire rode in and it had a disc and a T-handle that you turned. I looked up a couple of places that has the old style and I hope you find this what you need. The price is good as well since it is new. Check out this website from Parts.com. I have bought stuff from them for some time. Hope this helps you out. If this is what you need maybe call a scrap yard and see if they have everything you need. It will be cheaper that way. There is an illustration on the right had side of the page. That is the same thing I had on two of my earlier Rangers until I added the 33x12.5 tires. Now, don't say I did not try to help you out. That what we are all here for, Bro!!!!

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?action=getPartLocator&siteid=2&chapter=&Sectionids=0,7184&groupid=52010&subgroupid=2409&componentid=0&makeid=10&model=Ranger&year=1993&graphicID=MD93028&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Junkyardexpress

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
P235/R15
LMC truck makes a nice bed mount spare holder for behind cab and they sell the bolts and various hardware for underbed mounts.http://rangerframefix.com/index.html sells the winch style off gen 4 i believe.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I love the arguments for and against having the tire in the bed....

Just purely love it.

I hate the tire under the bed after a brand new spare got ruined by a sidewall gash when I had my Ranger off of a paved surface.

BUUUUTTTT.....

With my F-150 I have been forced to leave my spare in the bed since I replaced the rear fuel tank. With the new plastic tank in place, they say not to put a spare back under there without a skid plate under the tank as there is a chance the tire can push up on the bottom of the tank and pop the sending unit out the top. Since mine didn't come with factory skid plates and I have been unable to find a used one locally, the tire is in the bed..... which forces me to protect it and move it all the time as I load/unload tools and materials. I stood it up at the front of the bed and most of the time it's out of the way, but a lot of the time it's not. I can't go with a roof rack because it would put the tire in the way of using the ladder rack. And I can't mount it on the side between the ladder rack and the bed rail because of the side boxes. And forget about the swing out tire carrier on the back - that will only get in the way when I have to carry long things (like 10 and 12' lengths of drywall). So my options are pretty limited.

My F-350 dump is even worse. I still haven't found a place that is out of the way to mount a spare since it has dual tanks. Cab protector is no good because I use the lumber racks on the truck. (point of fact, the truck came from Ford WITHOUT a spare tire).

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Bduke23, I'm going to offer you the most straight up and honest answer of anyone who has posted here.

The original spare mounted with a long bolt that had an eye loop on the end of it. The point being that you used your lug wrench (that mounted behind the passenger seat) to turn the eye bolt until the built in washer clamped the wheel to the swinging bracket using one of the lug holes in the wheel.

Now, I would say, that if the hole for the bolt is rusted, to take a tap (thread chaser) and run it through the hole a few times until the hole is cleared up. Then you can and should be able to easily hand thread the eye bolt into the hole until you need to use the lug wrench to finish tightening the spare down.

If that is too much, or the hole is too far rusted out, then take a nut and weld it onto the swinging bracket so that you will have a new, clean threaded hole to stick a bolt through to hold your spare down.

Here's even another option. Go to a junkyard and pull the swinging bracket off of a pre-'97 ranger to swap over onto your pickup. They're only held on with three bolts, period, and they're not often rusted to hell.

Also, if you want a new eye bolt to hold down your spare, let me know and I'll mail you one. I know that I can get several of them for nothing, and I make frequent trips to my local yard regardless.

How did all of that sound?

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bduke23, I'm going to offer you the most straight up and honest answer of anyone who has posted here.

The original spare mounted with a long bolt that had an eye loop on the end of it. The point being that you used your lug wrench (that mounted behind the passenger seat) to turn the eye bolt until the built in washer clamped the wheel to the swinging bracket using one of the lug holes in the wheel.

Now, I would say, that if the hole for the bolt is rusted, to take a tap (thread chaser) and run it through the hole a few times until the hole is cleared up. Then you can and should be able to easily hand thread the eye bolt into the hole until you need to use the lug wrench to finish tightening the spare down.

If that is too much, or the hole is too far rusted out, then take a nut and weld it onto the swinging bracket so that you will have a new, clean threaded hole to stick a bolt through to hold your spare down.

Here's even another option. Go to a junkyard and pull the swinging bracket off of a pre-'97 ranger to swap over onto your pickup. They're only held on with three bolts, period, and they're not often rusted to hell.

Also, if you want a new eye bolt to hold down your spare, let me know and I'll mail you one. I know that I can get several of them for nothing, and I make frequent trips to my local yard regardless.

How did all of that sound?
Excellenté!! :icon_thumby: Sad, but I actually googled how to get that funky e thing

If you could send me one that would be great. How much to ship to Saskatoon, Sk, Canada, S7K 1B4?

And Straycat, yes those were the parts that I was looking for. :icon_thumby:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I love the arguments for and against having the tire in the bed....

Just purely love it.

I hate the tire under the bed after a brand new spare got ruined by a sidewall gash when I had my Ranger off of a paved surface.

BUUUUTTTT.....

With my F-150 I have been forced to leave my spare in the bed since I replaced the rear fuel tank. With the new plastic tank in place, they say not to put a spare back under there without a skid plate under the tank as there is a chance the tire can push up on the bottom of the tank and pop the sending unit out the top. Since mine didn't come with factory skid plates and I have been unable to find a used one locally, the tire is in the bed..... which forces me to protect it and move it all the time as I load/unload tools and materials. I stood it up at the front of the bed and most of the time it's out of the way, but a lot of the time it's not. I can't go with a roof rack because it would put the tire in the way of using the ladder rack. And I can't mount it on the side between the ladder rack and the bed rail because of the side boxes. And forget about the swing out tire carrier on the back - that will only get in the way when I have to carry long things (like 10 and 12' lengths of drywall). So my options are pretty limited.

My F-350 dump is even worse. I still haven't found a place that is out of the way to mount a spare since it has dual tanks. Cab protector is no good because I use the lumber racks on the truck. (point of fact, the truck came from Ford WITHOUT a spare tire).
you could always do it '70's style and mount it off the front bumper, maybe have a grille guard and use a big u-bolt to mount the tire to the grille guard, wire the front plate to the center of the spare. sounds kind of "sanford & son" but i recall alot of front-mounted spares on pickups back in the late '70's. on the under-bed carrier, be sure you lube that eye bolt! mine broke off when i went to remove the spare. i removed the whole under-carrier and the spare is now mounted to the inside of the box, upright on the drivers side between the wheel well and the front bed wall. for my useage its never been in my way and wont rust in place. (i have a cap)

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My spare tire is mounted VERTICALLY on the left side of the bed (I cannot see it in my rearview mirror)

I used a factory dual tank spare tire mounting bracket but as that bracket will not allow a tire larger than ~215/75-15 (possibly a 225) in it's stock location (forward of the wheel bulge)
Mine is mounted back behind the wheel bulge

This only requires fabrication of a reinforcement for the inner bedrail lip
as the factory reinforcement piece also ties into the headgate

Mounted where it is the tire is both accessable and out of the way.

Hey, install a receiver hitch and the "trapese" tire mount used on trucks earlier tha n 1998 is essentially useless. Oh, it holds the tire but getting it out witout unbolting the bracket from the frame....

AD

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Excellenté!! :icon_thumby: Sad, but I actually googled how to get that funky e thing

If you could send me one that would be great. How much to ship to Saskatoon, Sk, Canada, S7K 1B4?

And Straycat, yes those were the parts that I was looking for. :icon_thumby:
Gald I could help you with something, Bro!!! I hope it works out for you.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate all the advice to put it vertically in the bed behind the cab, but because of my toolbox I cannot (not the same one in my avatar, I have a checkerplate Delta one now).

As far as a custom front bumper/mount, that would be cool but way beyond both my abilites and means.

I do not want it vertically on the rear left side. Because of how high the tire sticks above the bed I think it looks kinda goofy.

And the eye bolt would be absolutely soaked in anti seize. If that doesn't work then I would never know, cause the anti seize on the bolt to lower it would not have worked either and I won't have gotten to the part where I take the tire off the carrier :icon_confused:

2timerangerfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
In the end it's all a matter of taste and what your individual needs are. Mine is still factory 'cause its all stock. However, I've been the guy with the spare rolling around in the bed and after a few incidents ( one involving the tire coming out and hitting another car) I felt that the permanent mount is the only way to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals