• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some more 351 swap questions

Blown5pnt4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, Im new to the site. I just joined to try and get a better idea on what all will be needed to do the project I have planned. I currently have a 2001 Lightning as my "street" toy & I want to build an 83-93 body style ranger for a "street/strip drag truck" I currently have a 351w that I was building to drop in a fox stang, but I like being different from the crown around here. From my searches most of you do the 4wheeling thing instead of drag so I have some questions.

First does anyone make a long tube header for the swap ? my 351 will be stroked and poked out to a 408 at the minimum and will need all the breathing it can get.

Second, I saw that alot of you have done c-4 swaps, I was thinking of doing a turbo 350 gm tranny, due to them being lighter and more adapt at taking the heat of new york traffic. Has anyone here attempted or tried to do this trans conversion ??

Third, is it possible to keep the air conditioning with the 351 swap ?? Im not much of a hot weather person so I like my AC.

Fourth, does anyone make or is there a swap to go with for a lightweight manual steering setup ??

Fifth, where can I get lightweight fiberglass bodypanels to swap on ??

Sixth, what kind of nightmare does a spark plug change become with the 351 installed ?

and Seventh, what options do I have for a cooling system ?? Would a hi performance radiator out of a mustang drop in ??

Thanks guys. The eventual goal is a solid 9second that can be driven on the street. Planning a mini tub with some 15x12 bogart rims on MT drag radials out back in a 325-50-15. As well as a built 8.8 rear out of a mustang. Along with matchin bogart skinnies up front. Anyway thanks guys, Im sure I'll have more questions to come. My engine goes to the machine shop in about 3weeks. Then its just a matter of picking out my heads and intake before I begin to start looking for my truck. It will definetly be a short bed box ranger from 83-93. Look forward to whatever responses you guys can give me.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't anyone know how to use the "search" feature anymore? Near as I can tell you in answer to just about all your questions is: you're on your own with all that.

Blown5pnt4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well thanks I guess.......no need for the hostility. I did search but didnt find anything regarding my questions. Every thread I found was a 5spd and 4x4 thread which Im obviously not doing. Sorry I bothered asking jeez.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1. Yes they make a "long" tube header. Mine are not that long but they called them that.
2.No idea about the chevy tranny.
3.Yes you can keep the AC
4. Not sure what you are asking.
5. No idea on body panels
6. Changing plugs is no big deal. I can get to all mine easy.
7. Put the biggest radiator you can fit.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
well thanks I guess.......no need for the hostility. I did search but didnt find anything regarding my questions. Every thread I found was a 5spd and 4x4 thread which Im obviously not doing. Sorry I bothered asking jeez.
It's not that you asking questions, it's just that you and everyone else who start off contemplating a swap asks 20 questions before searching first. And all your questions are mostly dealing with "one -off" mods, that's the reason you found nothing if you did search. Slow down and read more before doing anything. And take it one step at a time. With what you want as an end goal, you're just about going to have to strip the truck down to the frame and start from scratch.

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
..........you're just about going to have to strip the truck down to the frame and start from scratch.
You mean like this??

And for Blown5pnt4........yes...it's a packin' a 351W w/ custom rear suspension and 10" wheels on the back...but that's no Ford rear end. It's easier (and cheaper) to do than you may think.

Blown5pnt4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You mean like this??

And for Blown5pnt4........yes...it's a packin' a 351W w/ custom rear suspension and 10" wheels on the back...but that's no Ford rear end. It's easier (and cheaper) to do than you may think.

Sweet man !!! If you have any tips or pointers for me feel free to PM me...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals