• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some different Chevy leaf swap questions

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Uh oh, what's the little 2wd guy doing in here?!?!??! :D

I want a softer rear suspension. I've been reading up on removing a leaf from the stock rear pack, but it seems that this would eventually result in a rear that will eventually sag to nothing. :icon_confused: (ILLEGALCONCEPTS and others come to mind)

Now since reading up on the Chevy leaf swap i'm inclined to ask more details. I understand that most guys that do the swap end up changing more parts, so i'll take what I can get for info.

With the understanding that i'm NOT looking for huge lift or extreme flex, I just want a bit of a softer rear and any better handling I can get. I'd consider this a far cheaper alternative than a coil-over conversion. I don't PLAN on using any different shackles other than what's stock on my Ranger, but who knows if that would change. No plans, right now i'm just asking questions .....

1. assuming that i'm moving the stock front leaf mount forwards (10"?), how much more weight might I expect to see over the rear axle? I don't think much at all, but i'm curious to know.

2. street manners, do the longer leaves mean the rear of the truck will be moving around more?

3. still can't seem to find out if i'd need new u-bolts/plates. Are these wider than the stock Ranger leaves?

Again, not looking for huge lift or flex, just a softer rear.

Thanks for any helpful input.

EDIT - CRAP I put this in the wrong section!!!!! SORRY! If a mod wishes to move this to the 4x4 section please feel free! SORRY again!

JamesC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
350 chev/3.0
I can't say about 1 and 2 but as for number 3 the leaves are the same width, so you should be able to reuse the plates. The ubolts you may want to change if they are old, some people believe they should be changed every time but most people do not do so.

Where in brampton are you? thats where I live.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I can't say about 1 and 2 but as for number 3 the leaves are the same width, so you should be able to reuse the plates. The ubolts you may want to change if they are old, some people believe they should be changed every time but most people do not do so.

Where in brampton are you? thats where I live.
Thank you, that's a good help already. I'm "on the fence" myself about re-using or not. I've re-used mine a few times so far, and they've been fine so far, but I still wonder. :icon_confused:

You got a P.M. coming your way.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Uh oh, what's the little 2wd guy doing in here?!?!??! :D

I want a softer rear suspension. I've been reading up on removing a leaf from the stock rear pack, but it seems that this would eventually result in a rear that will eventually sag to nothing. :icon_confused: (ILLEGALCONCEPTS and others come to mind)

Now since reading up on the Chevy leaf swap i'm inclined to ask more details. I understand that most guys that do the swap end up changing more parts, so i'll take what I can get for info.

With the understanding that i'm NOT looking for huge lift or extreme flex, I just want a bit of a softer rear and any better handling I can get. I'd consider this a far cheaper alternative than a coil-over conversion. I don't PLAN on using any different shackles other than what's stock on my Ranger, but who knows if that would change. No plans, right now i'm just asking questions .....

1. assuming that i'm moving the stock front leaf mount forwards (10"?), how much more weight might I expect to see over the rear axle? I don't think much at all, but i'm curious to know.

2. street manners, do the longer leaves mean the rear of the truck will be moving around more?

3. still can't seem to find out if i'd need new u-bolts/plates. Are these wider than the stock Ranger leaves?

Again, not looking for huge lift or flex, just a softer rear.

Thanks for any helpful input.

EDIT - CRAP I put this in the wrong section!!!!! SORRY! If a mod wishes to move this to the 4x4 section please feel free! SORRY again!
1. It's only moved forward about six inches. Actually, the space between the bottom 2 rivets. Look at this pic you'll see what I mean.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/0712091724.jpg
All of the weight distribution and axle location remain the same as with the stock springs.

2. My truck hasn't been driven since I installed mine, but lots of other members have told me about it. But, all they have told me is that it rides really good. I dunno...

3. You can use your factory parts, as both springs are 2.5" wide. Reusing u-bolts isn't a good idea though, as they stretch when they are tightened. This pic only proves they work, I am not using these u-bolts as I am swapping the rear axle later.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/0804091810.jpg

I think that in order for this to work for you that you will have to flip you rear shackle mount, like in the article in the tech library. Otherwise you are gunna lift the rear of your truck alot. Especially considering most lift measurements come from 4x4 which stock sit 2.5" higher. They say the swap gives 5" lift, that would be 7-7.5" for you.

But... you could set it up the way the 4x4 guys do and swap in an Explorer axle, sprung under. Just a thought, sounds like more than you wanna do.

So, If my thinking it right. You should be able to swap the springs in with flipped rear mounts, and using stock shackles. And that should keep you at the lower 2wd ride height.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
1. It's only moved forward about six inches. Actually, the space between the bottom 2 rivets. Look at this pic you'll see what I mean.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/0712091724.jpg
All of the weight distribution and axle location remain the same as with the stock springs.

2. My truck hasn't been driven since I installed mine, but lots of other members have told me about it. But, all they have told me is that it rides really good. I dunno...

3. You can use your factory parts, as both springs are 2.5" wide. Reusing u-bolts isn't a good idea though, as they stretch when they are tightened. This pic only proves they work, I am not using these u-bolts as I am swapping the rear axle later.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/0804091810.jpg

I think that in order for this to work for you that you will have to flip you rear shackle mount, like in the article in the tech library. Otherwise you are gunna lift the rear of your truck alot. Especially considering most lift measurements come from 4x4 which stock sit 2.5" higher. They say the swap gives 5" lift, that would be 7-7.5" for you.

But... you could set it up the way the 4x4 guys do and swap in an Explorer axle, sprung under. Just a thought, sounds like more than you wanna do.

So, If my thinking it right. You should be able to swap the springs in with flipped rear mounts, and using stock shackles. And that should keep you at the lower 2wd ride height.
Awww, damn, you're GOOD! :icon_thumby:

I never even thought about the consequences of keeping the shackle mount in it's stock orientation! Okay, check that, it'll get flipped, if for nothing more than keeping the rear not so jacked up (although it might become a possibility because I LIKE rake lol gotta see when it's done).

No Explorer axle swap here. I already have an 8.8 out of a 4x4 Ranger sitting in the garage waiting for some angle grinder, dial indicator and torque wrench lovin'. :icon_welder: I'm trying to make a firm decision on tire size right now, so that'll determine gear size. (but I don't see how the Explorer swap would do anything for ride height - stock Ranger is under springs too)

Thanks man! :icon_cheers:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
stock ranger is spring over (springs are over the axle) while an explorer is spring under. that makes for about 4" of difference in ride height if everything else stays the same.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
stock ranger is spring over (springs are over the axle) while an explorer is spring under. that makes for about 4" of difference in ride height if everything else stays the same.
Oh, okay, my bad. for some reason I was thinking they're the same.

Thanks! :icon_thumby:

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
My truck rides much better with the chevy springs, i would also recommend getting new ubolts,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals