• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: 1988 2.9L 4x4 EXT cab | what fuel pump is the right one for my tank?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, I don't have anything like that

Because the tank is longer than wider there should be 2 baffles inside, separating the tank into 3 parts, front, middle and rear

What you can do is tap on the bottom of the tank after it "runs dry"
Empty section should sound way different than a section with gas still in it

Should be able to put in a "coat hanger" type wire and feel the baffles

Check with local tool rental places or Auto parts stores to see if they rent "Bore scope" or endoscope cameras
If you have a plumber friend he will have one or know where to get one, lol

Have seen those now with USB C plugs for smartphones, not too expensive but never tried one of those myself

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
No, I don't have anything like that

Because the tank is longer than wider there should be 2 baffles inside, separating the tank into 3 parts, front, middle and rear

What you can do is tap on the bottom of the tank after it "runs dry"
Empty section should sound way different than a section with gas still in it

Should be able to put in a "coat hanger" type wire and feel the baffles

Check with local tool rental places or Auto parts stores to see if they rent "Bore scope" or endoscope cameras
If you have a plumber friend he will have one or know where to get one, lol

Have seen those now with USB C plugs for smartphones, not too expensive but never tried one of those myself
I dropped the tank this afternoon and am able to see inside of it. No baffles to see.... I have never replaced the tank since I've owned it, could it be a tank for a bronco 2? The hole for the sending unit is all the way in the back. I will attach a photo of it here. The pump seems to be at the bottom of the tank and the gauge says just under a 1/4 of a tank which fuel level seems to be true. I will pour the fuel out of it and measure when the weather passes. I am stumped.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your tank is different because you have a extended cab. If you look at the pictures, the regular cab tank is slanted down in the front, the sending unit and pump has barely enough room to fit under the back of the cab. The frame kicks up when it gets to the bed. A extend cab truck is going to be worse, with the cab coming back so far, there is no room for the pump/sending unit. I never had a extended cab but did have a regular cab truck and put a new tank on it. So I am assuming your sending unit/pump is at the rear of the tank because it's a extended cab tank. Thus the different pickup/pump angle also.

There are no baffles in the tank, that is the reason for the fuel reservoir. The later tanks have no baffles, they have the sending unit/pump that has the plastic can around it to use as a baffle/reservoir.

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
Your tank is different because you have a extended cab. If you look at the pictures, the regular cab tank is slanted down in the front, the sending unit and pump has barely enough room to fit under the back of the cab. The frame kicks up when it gets to the bed. A extend cab truck is going to be worse, with the cab coming back so far, there is no room for the pump/sending unit. I never had a extended cab but did have a regular cab truck and put a new tank on it. So I am assuming your sending unit/pump is at the rear of the tank because it's a extended cab tank. Thus the different pickup/pump angle also.

There are no baffles in the tank, that is the reason for the fuel reservoir. The later tanks have no baffles, they have the sending unit/pump that has the plastic can around it to use as a baffle/reservoir.
Gotchya, the reservoir is mounted on the frame before the high pressure pump. There is no plastic can around the pump/sending unit.

Attachments

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
SOLVED!

I replaced the "VENT VALVE" Dorman #: 911060 on the top of the tank and it fixed my issue! Pressure was not releasing from the tank once fuel level reached connection of the filler neck to the tank.

Ended up replacing the tank as well due to the crud that had built up from the rusting innards.

Thank you everyone for the input

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals